COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#406 Post by Ho Really » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:16 pm

James Renfrey wrote:...Freiburg and Balboa...
You meant Bilbao in Spain, didn't you? Balboa is in Panama. :wink:

Cheers

Ho Really

#407 Post by Ho Really » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:27 pm

Will wrote:...Should we stagnate Adelaide and keep it as some giant museum? Change is inevitable and required if Adelaide is to prosper.
Adelaide a giant museum? Wouldn't that be nice. Imagine the tourist numbers!! Is that prosperity? It could be. Can you see a city full of people walking and using public transport (in our case trams)? :wink:

Cheers

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#408 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:00 am

:D

Tram network 'to drive city's future'
MICHAEL OWEN, KIM WHEATLEY
February 19, 2007 01:15am

TRANSPORT Minister Patrick Conlon wants a free tram network extended throughout Adelaide's CBD, ending in the Rundle St precinct.

(Want to post a comment on this story? AdelaideNow would like to hear what you have to say. So scroll to the comment box below and post your point of view.)

Mr Conlon, who does not yet have funding for the plans, said the tram network would be important to the city's future development.

He said the current tram extension from Victoria Square to North Tce deserved support because it was the "only logical" first step in developing a vibrant transport network for the future. "But that depends on whether you believe Adelaide has got a big future or a small one," he said.

"There's absolutely no doubt people will catch the trams in the city.

"I do think the tram at some point should run through the city and be free.

"It would be a marvellous thing for residents of Adelaide to take the tram up from Glenelg to go to the Central Market, go through a revitalised West End if they want to and then go up on the tram and get off at the restaurants in the East End of Rundle St."

Mr Conlon said the examples of other cities showed transport-related development would be important for Adelaide's future.

"A great example of urban renewal based around transport is the Subiaco Square development in Western Australia, where electric rail from Perth to Fremantle goes under the square, there's high-density development around it, including some expensive housing and some affordable housing - that's the future," he said.

"It is change and I think change is a good thing in Adelaide. There is a price to pay for progress and the fact we can now keep our children in South Australia instead of them moving interstate."

Mr Conlon's vision was described by the Opposition as a "rattle-can" of ideas.

His comments came as the Transport Department confirmed one of the eight new trams running on the network had been out of service since February 6.

The department was awaiting a part from Germany and hoped to have the tram back in service by the end of the month.

A further three new Bombardier trams from Germany were expected to be delivered between March and May, with the 11 new trams ordered by the Government all expected to be operating by the middle of July, a department spokesman said.

Opposition transport spokesman Martin Hamilton-Smith said Mr Conlon should "stop pontificating".

"What he's doing by pontificating about these ideas - all of which have merit - is revealing that the state infrastructure plan that he delivered is flawed. If there is a plan, let's see it."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Will409
Legendary Member!

#409 Post by Will409 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:09 am

I personally think that once the current extension has been laid, they should be thinking about building a line down to the east end of the city via North Terrace past the SA Museum, UNI East, State Library, the RAH, the Botanical Gardens and then, if they wanted to, they could make the tram swing right and head towards the end of Rundle Street. At a very far stretch, they could extend further to the new Victoria Park but that is looking a little too far into the future. However, IF they do decide for further expansion the current extension would have to be modified at the curve from King William Street to include a new set of points so trams can run direct from the railway station to the east end in addition to the northern end of KWS.

However, the first priority after getting the current extension down is push out into the inner suburbs before making a large net in the city. The bus routes to the inner suburbs that are 'sardine cans' like the Beeline at peak hour should be the first to be converted. I would rather see a small network into the inner suburbs then a dense network in the CBD.

However, let's get the current extension running first before we dream too far ahead.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#410 Post by Al » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:59 am

I still can't get over the amount of BS coming out of the notrams camp. I mean it's a done deal people. Get over it and get on with your lives! This tiny little extension shouldn't cause waves this big.

The issue with traffic jams, removal of trees etc, are NON-ISSUES. By comparison, Adelaide HAS NO TRAFFIC PROBLEMS. Trees as lovely as they might be, can be replanted elsewhere. As for those people who claim that the trams will never be used, then we'll wait and see. Obviously these people will do all they can to avoid using it just to prove a pitiful point. I just think it's embarrassing that certain protesters are actually doing more damage to the reputation of Adelaide than actually progressing any issue they might hold as important. Imagine what other cities will think when they hear about this BS that's occurring. It's time these idiots shut the FU.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#411 Post by Brando » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:53 am

Imagine how easy it will be for guests staying at Hyatt, Oaks Horizons and Embassy,Stamford etc. Tourist asking how to get to Glenelg can be told to jump on the Tram and stay on till the very end of the line. How easy and convinient will that be for everyone. As an owner of an apartment in Oaks Horizons, i only see this as a positive for everyone in this city. I just don't see why people are complaining about this. It is long overdue if anything...

James Renfrey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

BILBAO.

#412 Post by James Renfrey » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Ho Really wrote:
James Renfrey wrote:...Freiburg and Balboa...
You meant Bilbao in Spain, didn't you? Balboa is in Panama.
Of course I meant BILBAO – BILBO to the Basques whose virtual capital it is. I took extensive video records while travelling on regional heavy rail and tram routes. It's an attractive town in a beautiful region. Incidentally, the signs, ticket machines etc. put the ancient and unique Basque language (Euskara) before the Spanish. I've amended my original message.

Thanks for the correction.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#413 Post by bdm » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Along Rundle, out to Norwood? That's what I'd like to see!

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#414 Post by Froggy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:02 pm

James Renfrey wrote:And Froggy! If you can't sustain a sensible argument, for goodness sake be silent. If your nickname implies that you are French, then you should know that several French cities, including Nice, Perpignan and Paris, are currently replacing buses with trams as they are so much more efficient at moving people.

I've caught modern trams in small cities like Freiburg and Bilbao, where every station has a multi-language ticket machine which gives change to any combination of notes and coins, a clock tower visible to all passers by, real time traffic information and comfortable sheltered seating. They make our upgraded Glenelg line stops look positively primitive. Travel a little with your eyes and mind open. You'd be surprised at how much you might learn.
How great for you, please don't talk down to me it's insulting as is your woefully constructed arguement here. Trams might actually be useful in those cities but it has nothing at all to do with the point that the 1.6km extension to our Glenelg line is going to add absolutely nothing to the city and benefit a very small % of people here. Go and upgrade the whole glenelg line all you want with new ticket machines and shelters I don't care.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#415 Post by Pistol » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Why is there even an argument at all! This has been approved end of story. Besides traffic seems to handle the trams running down King Williams St South so why is it such an issue that all of a sudden we can't handle it running an extra 1.6 km? In two years time no one will even know that there was such an argument at all just like no one remembers that the airport took so long to open! Bring it on :D

Ho Really

#416 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:52 pm

Next move is to convert the O-bahn into a tram line to connect with the North Terrace part of the Glenelg line. Alternatively the O-bahn could be converted into light rail and undergrounded before entering the city square mile (as I have mentioned before in another thread) and terminating at the Railway Station. Another project I believe in is light rail to the airport from the railway station. This could even be an extension of the O-bahn replacement I mentioned above. There are several corridors for this to happen. Other tram lines can go virtually anywhere east and west (and even north and south)...take your pick.

Cheers

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#417 Post by AG » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:24 pm

This is one of those cases where everyone ends up jumping on the negativity bandwagon, and then a few years after this is done, noone will care or remember about the saga this project has created. Just like NYC's old World Trade Center and about a million other projects worldwide.

And Froggy, you obviously have no clue about what is happening in other cities. Explain to me why trams are useless in those other cities but not here. What is it that suddenly makes Adelaide's case special from all the rest? Most transport projects only benefit a small number of people.

I want you to point out in full detail about how Melbourne's traffic negotiates intersections with trams and the extent of the network before I will believe you have any idea what you are talking about.

skyliner

#418 Post by skyliner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:06 pm

A lot of space filled up with unnecessary garbage here of late from some of you guys!

To all the negative lot I say the tram line IS going ahead - get over it and support! There is too much negativity in Adelaide. Bagging the place is not going to help one bit. Negativity brings more of the same. Hear it long enough and you believe it. Iv'e even heard CEO's talking like this - very disencouraging to me. To me it shows blinkered understanding of economic cycles, possibilities and extenuating circumstances that can and do develop.

Possibility thinking and vision are what exite me about Adelaide (like many of you). Adelaide HAS a future - look at the mining and buiding boom.

Also I heard on the news (In Brisbane) concerning rental properties that the availability of such is 1% in Adelaide (lowest in Australia) - a prime boost for more resi development - especiually in the CBD. The trams will be a great asset - I agree with the Norwood parade idea and along North Tce and to the airport

What's with Froggie anyway? Arguments cannot be buildt from anecdotal type premeses. Research gives the parameters for such. Anecdotes illustrate the points. What You I do counts little as such in usage and validity of the line - overall research does. Analyse this in the bigger picture.

End of rant.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#419 Post by jk1237 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:27 pm

There are millions of children dying in Africa each year, there is a group of indigenous people accidently killing and injuring drivers in high speed chases, yet what are some people going to do Wednesday - protest against a simple 1.6km tram extension. It is so embarrasing to be a South Australian when you have people around like Froggy. Its just a tram, a simple bloody tram extension that is long overdue. This tram opposition is just so pathetic.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#420 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:44 am

I reacon i might check out this 'idiotic' protest on wednesday for a bit of a laugh :lol:

After riding on the beeline today, i cant wait for the tramline extension - bring it on! :D