[PRO] Brighton Road Grade Separation

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 37 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#16 Post by Spotto » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Perhaps an interesting consideration for the Hove Crossing upgrade would be to continue the cutting through to Jetty Road and relocate/grade separate Brighton station to be closer to Brighton Beach and the Jetty Road cafes. I'm guessing Hove Crossing will likely close the Adelaide-Warradale section of the line so that they can shut off the electricity for safety, they might as well kill two birds with one stone.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 40 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#17 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm
Perhaps an interesting consideration for the Hove Crossing upgrade would be to continue the cutting through to Jetty Road and relocate/grade separate Brighton station to be closer to Brighton Beach and the Jetty Road cafes. I'm guessing Hove Crossing will likely close the Adelaide-Warradale section of the line so that they can shut off the electricity for safety, they might as well kill two birds with one stone.
Including Brighton in the scope would prolong the project and also rule out running between Lonsdale and Brighton due to location of crossovers. Also is there width in the rail corridor to accommodate a relocated three track station with reversing facilities.

If electrification to Dry Creek is energised before the Hove project, Adelaide to Oaklands running would be possible from the new substation at Kilburn.

aceman
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:02 am
Location: Adelaide (Hallett Cove)
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 12 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#18 Post by aceman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 pm

quick question, what's the most likely option at this crossing? same track alignment either over or under Brighton road? I'm guessing under as is at Oaklands

User avatar
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Eden Hills
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#19 Post by omada » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:36 am

Can someone in the know please tell me the point of this grade separation, when there are further bottlenecks at Tapleys/Anzac - in my view traffic merely gets to the bottlenecks quicker

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 492 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#20 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:38 am

omada wrote:Can someone in the know please tell me the point of this grade separation, when there are further bottlenecks at Tapleys/Anzac - in my view traffic merely gets to the bottlenecks quicker
This grade separation has been necessary for years and years. It is good that money is going toward a project that can - hopefully - have some benefit for rail as well.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
baytram366
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Western Adelaide
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#21 Post by baytram366 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 am

The Tapleys level crossing would be an interesting one as it would affect the golf course no matter if the railway was put under or over the road. Also, I own a unit pretty much right on top of that intersection so it would also be interesting to see if the government would need to purchase any surrounding properties....
But my gut feeling is that the Grange line would close before any major is done with the Tapleys / Trimmer Parade intersection.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 37 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#22 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:40 am

I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 492 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#23 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:49 am

Spotto wrote:I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??
Probably because of heavy vehicle access to the Coles there, which is right next to the station.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 37 times

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#24 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:49 am
Spotto wrote:I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??
Probably because of heavy vehicle access to the Coles there, which is right next to the station.
Again, forward planning. When Cheltenham Racecourse was opened for development, secure a slightly wider rail corridor for the construction phase (like Oaklands, build next to the current line then divert to the new underpass) then Coles wouldn't have been built so close allowing them to build St Clair station grade separated from the start. Integrate the station concourse into the greenway and maybe even add one or two small shops (coffee, newsstand, snacks).

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 285 times
Been thanked: 492 times
Contact:

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#25 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Spotto wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:49 am
Spotto wrote:I'd love to know why St Clair station wasn't grade separated from day one, it's right next to Cheltenham Parade which might not be a major arterial but it's sure not a little side street either. Why would a brand new station (yes 2014 but still pretty recent) in this day and age not be built grade separated??
Probably because of heavy vehicle access to the Coles there, which is right next to the station.
Again, forward planning. When Cheltenham Racecourse was opened for development, secure a slightly wider rail corridor for the construction phase (like Oaklands, build next to the current line then divert to the new underpass) then Coles wouldn't have been built so close allowing them to build St Clair station grade separated from the start. Integrate the station concourse into the greenway and maybe even add one or two small shops (coffee, newsstand, snacks).
Agree completely, but we seem to fail at forward planning.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 36 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#26 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 pm

We've been failing at forward planning since the rail gauge debacle and selling off the MATS plan land
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#27 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:16 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 pm
We've been failing at forward planning since the rail gauge debacle and selling off the MATS plan land
Which rail gauge debacle? We planned ahead and negotiated with the other colonies to all use broad gauge so we could inter operate. Hence the first inter capital train service was broad gauge between Adelaide and Melbourne. Then NSW changed its mind unilaterally. Not really SA’s fault.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 4 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#28 Post by TrebleSketch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Don't think I have seen the official PTP Alliance website been linked yet in this chat. The official name of this project, according to the website, is the "Hove Level Crossing Removal Planning Study". But could change to "Hove Crossing Grade Separation" once the study and community feedback is complete.

Here is the link to that aforementioned website, Hove Level Crossing Removal Planning Study.

Image

Curious to gather all your ideas/suggestions here. Any locals or regular rail commuters or frustrating drivers? :D

What could be the better option for this crossing? Also gotta account for Brighton Station and Warradale Station plus the local streets and such. I'd imagine that trains would terminate at Brighton before a replacement bus service would escort commuters into the city, or maybe to another stations along the line when Gawler Line starts operating another another substation up north allows Seaford trains to travel down. Maybe to Oaklands? There is a turn around there!

imo, I think an overpass might be likely due to how close this location is to the sea and a potential for high watertable beneath the surface.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2057
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 9 times

[PRO] Re: Brighton Road Grade Separation

#29 Post by Aidan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:11 pm

Any solution that doesn't keep the trains running should be disqualified immediately!
If you look at the topography, you'll see the crossing's higher than the road on both sides; it's clearly most suited to road under rail.
It would have been easier to do it before they built that childcare centre, and there will be the complication of having to shift at least one heritage listed building, but it's doable. The water table problem can be overcome with good design and specialist cement.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jimbly, Will and 3 guests