[U/C] Flinders Rail Link

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1076
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 193 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#16 Post by PeFe » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I think you're overestimating the amount of traffic in the area. In all the times I've driven through I've rarely encountered a single car in the area. This, plus the fact that the Flinders Line will have a low frequency, makes grade separation pointless.
I was hoping for something better regarding frequencies......20 minutes during business hours.

Remember the medical centre and university will generate traffic across the whole day (6am - 9pm) and the Tonsley Innovation Centre will gradually increase its workforce.

Hopefully the Flinders Line will be totally separate from Seaford (enabling Seaford to be express to Woodlands Park permanently)
The Flinders Line can pick up the small amount of passengers between Woodlands Park and the city.

Also future outer south bus services may terminate with the Flinders Line adding to passenger numbers on the train.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 67 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#17 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I think you're overestimating the amount of traffic in the area. In all the times I've driven through I've rarely encountered a single car in the area. This, plus the fact that the Flinders Line will have a low frequency, makes grade separation pointless.
It's less about right now, and more about what happens when they finish building the new Torrens residential precinct that's hardly started yet. Uni-tafe surrounded by medium density residential with only one road east and one road west is going to have a lot more traffic in the future.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 707 times
Been thanked: 338 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#18 Post by SRW » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:32 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I think you're overestimating the amount of traffic in the area. In all the times I've driven through I've rarely encountered a single car in the area. This, plus the fact that the Flinders Line will have a low frequency, makes grade separation pointless.
It's less about right now, and more about what happens when they finish building the new Torrens residential precinct that's hardly started yet. Uni-tafe surrounded by medium density residential with only one road east and one road west is going to have a lot more traffic in the future.
If (perhaps a big if) that density is planned correctly, most of what they need should be within walking distance and the increase to car traffic minimal.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 820 times
Been thanked: 1576 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#19 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:29 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:35 pm
Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I think you're overestimating the amount of traffic in the area. In all the times I've driven through I've rarely encountered a single car in the area. This, plus the fact that the Flinders Line will have a low frequency, makes grade separation pointless.
I was hoping for something better regarding frequencies......20 minutes during business hours.

Remember the medical centre and university will generate traffic across the whole day (6am - 9pm) and the Tonsley Innovation Centre will gradually increase its workforce.

Hopefully the Flinders Line will be totally separate from Seaford (enabling Seaford to be express to Woodlands Park permanently)
The Flinders Line can pick up the small amount of passengers between Woodlands Park and the city.

Also future outer south bus services may terminate with the Flinders Line adding to passenger numbers on the train.
As far as I remember, the frequency will stay at every 20 minutes during peak and every 30 minutes outside of peak, but also run past 7pm weeknights and all day on weekends.
NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I think you're overestimating the amount of traffic in the area. In all the times I've driven through I've rarely encountered a single car in the area. This, plus the fact that the Flinders Line will have a low frequency, makes grade separation pointless.
It's less about right now, and more about what happens when they finish building the new Torrens residential precinct that's hardly started yet. Uni-tafe surrounded by medium density residential with only one road east and one road west is going to have a lot more traffic in the future.
The whole residential component will be 900 homes for around 1,800 residents. If people want to go east or west there are more likely to use South Road and Sturt Road or Daws Road to get anywhere, as Alawoona Avenue ends at Marion Road whereas the others go all the way to the beach or the hills.

kymbosa
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:39 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 19 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#20 Post by kymbosa » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:02 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
Hopefully the Flinders Line will be totally separate from Seaford (enabling Seaford to be express to Woodlands Park permanently)
The Flinders Line can pick up the small amount of passengers between Woodlands Park and the city.


This is where Ascot Park should be redesigned. Therefore the Seaford lines first stop on express services should be Ascot.

This freeing up Woodlands Park as an interchange station but instead using the branch line and Seaford line at ascot as this.

Also the need for stopping on the mainline is reduced as the Flinders line will have the ability to stop and wait for the Seaford line to pass, this increase frequency of both lines.

Eg; like this station in the uk. Mainline is on the left branch heads off in the right direction.
C4F8DEAB-95AA-472D-88E8-5556F43D7BDC.jpeg

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 820 times
Been thanked: 1576 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#21 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:07 pm

A curved station could not be built today as it creates gaps between the train and the platforms. Even at Footscray in Melbourne they have straightened up the platforms to comply with disability standards. The only way around it world be to rebuild the station north of the junction.

Either way, I doubt the Seaford Line will have all trains run express from Woodlands Park. The inner portion still needs a decent frequency, so I imagine that, if both the Flinders and Seaford lines will run at a 30 minute frequency at night and on weekends, they will combine for a 15 minute frequency similar to what they have now on the Outer Harbor and Grange lines on weekdays.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1076
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 193 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#22 Post by PeFe » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:07 pm
Either way, I doubt the Seaford Line will have all trains run express from Woodlands Park. The inner portion still needs a decent frequency, so I imagine that, if both the Flinders and Seaford lines will run at a 30 minute frequency at night and on weekends, they will combine for a 15 minute frequency similar to what they have now on the Outer Harbor and Grange lines on weekdays.
Clarence Park, Edwardstown, Goodwood and Mile End don't deserve 15 minutes frequencies at night.

I would rather see the Seaford line turn into a permanent express, delivering much quicker travel times to people in the southern suburbs.

Quick public transport is a winner.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 67 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#23 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:29 pm
PeFe wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:35 pm
Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I think you're overestimating the amount of traffic in the area. In all the times I've driven through I've rarely encountered a single car in the area. This, plus the fact that the Flinders Line will have a low frequency, makes grade separation pointless.
I was hoping for something better regarding frequencies......20 minutes during business hours.

Remember the medical centre and university will generate traffic across the whole day (6am - 9pm) and the Tonsley Innovation Centre will gradually increase its workforce.

Hopefully the Flinders Line will be totally separate from Seaford (enabling Seaford to be express to Woodlands Park permanently)
The Flinders Line can pick up the small amount of passengers between Woodlands Park and the city.

Also future outer south bus services may terminate with the Flinders Line adding to passenger numbers on the train.
As far as I remember, the frequency will stay at every 20 minutes during peak and every 30 minutes outside of peak, but also run past 7pm weeknights and all day on weekends.
NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Norman wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I think you're overestimating the amount of traffic in the area. In all the times I've driven through I've rarely encountered a single car in the area. This, plus the fact that the Flinders Line will have a low frequency, makes grade separation pointless.
It's less about right now, and more about what happens when they finish building the new Torrens residential precinct that's hardly started yet. Uni-tafe surrounded by medium density residential with only one road east and one road west is going to have a lot more traffic in the future.
The whole residential component will be 900 homes for around 1,800 residents. If people want to go east or west there are more likely to use South Road and Sturt Road or Daws Road to get anywhere, as Alawoona Avenue ends at Marion Road whereas the others go all the way to the beach or the hills.
Alawoona is the quickest path to Westfield Marion from there, which will be the nearest major shopping precinct (Tonsley retail bit will be local shops at best). It's still going to be the only west pointing exit for the area, 100% of the traffic is not going to enter/exit via Tonsley Blvd

Aside from which, all pedestrian crossings should be grade separated as a matter of safety, and for the prosperity of the rail network going forward we shouldn't ever be building new road level crossings again - this is the best opportunity they'll have to do it while causing minimal disruption to road and rail users alike, since the road use is still low and the rail is stopping short of Alawoona because old Tonsley is gone and Flinders isn't open yet.

User avatar
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 38 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#24 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:09 am

PeFe wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:07 pm
Norman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:07 pm
Either way, I doubt the Seaford Line will have all trains run express from Woodlands Park. The inner portion still needs a decent frequency, so I imagine that, if both the Flinders and Seaford lines will run at a 30 minute frequency at night and on weekends, they will combine for a 15 minute frequency similar to what they have now on the Outer Harbor and Grange lines on weekdays.
Clarence Park, Edwardstown, Goodwood and Mile End don't deserve 15 minutes frequencies at night.

I would rather see the Seaford line turn into a permanent express, delivering much quicker travel times to people in the southern suburbs.

Quick public transport is a winner.
To public transport users, "quickness" includes the waiting time. The only way to reduce the wait time is to increase the frequency.

Honestly, it's a joke that they spend all this money on a railway and only run it at 20 minute intervals at best. When the wait time is included, nearby bus routes will still be faster.

kymbosa
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:39 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 19 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#25 Post by kymbosa » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:12 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:09 am
Honestly, it's a joke that they spend all this money on a railway and only run it at 20 minute intervals at best. When the wait time is included, nearby bus routes will still be faster.
The reason for that is due to the road/rail crossing. If the trains were more frequent than the roads would be blocked more due to the boom gates going up and down like a yo-yo.

They need to remove them before increasing the trains on the line.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 46 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#26 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:01 am

kymbosa wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:12 am
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:09 am
Honestly, it's a joke that they spend all this money on a railway and only run it at 20 minute intervals at best. When the wait time is included, nearby bus routes will still be faster.
The reason for that is due to the road/rail crossing. If the trains were more frequent than the roads would be blocked more due to the boom gates going up and down like a yo-yo.

They need to remove them before increasing the trains on the line.
The single track layout of the branch limits the frequency that can be achieved. With the extension to Flinders a 20 minute frequency is realistically the best that can be achieved without the provision of an additional crossing loop at Clovelly Park.

User avatar
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 173 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#27 Post by d3v310per » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:08 am

Image

Image

User avatar
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 173 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#28 Post by d3v310per » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Looks like another section of rail bridge over the lowered motorway may be installed this coming weekend. Lowered motorway will be closed on 11th and 12th January.

Also, all concrete support columns are in-place with the ramp along Birch Crescent well underway. I'll try to get some photos in the next few days.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 68 times

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#29 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 am

The next two steel bridge girders have been successfully installed over the Southern Expressway (lowered motorway) as part of the Flinders Link Project. Congratulations to the team on achieving another milestone. The elevated rail bridge is really starting to take shape!

From https://www.facebook.com/DPTISA/photos/ ... 698083855/
Attachments
82041167_2853017708083854_7931817453313589248_o.jpg
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 300 times
Been thanked: 595 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#30 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 pm

A quick one.

Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 13 guests