[COM] Flinders Rail Link

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#46 Post by d3v310per » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:20 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm
What is the date of the paywalled Adelaide Now article? The timelapse video is the the installation of the first span from 6-8 December.

The references to the piling work are rather odd. They imply this work will be be continuing through to August 2020, whereas the piling was surely completed in 2019, prior to the casting of the support piers.
The article was on AdelaideNow today. I was trying to figure out the piling reference too - doesn't make much sense to me. I would have thought all the piling was completed.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#47 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:33 am

When you have a newspaper being run on the smell of an oily rag and a minister that has no background in planning, transport OR infrastructure, you can't really expect quality information.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm
d3v310per wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:00 pm
From AdelaideNow ... https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 94dde2576a

Crucial crossing of South Road completed to allow for rail link to Flinders University and hospital
New fly-through footage shows how massive steel bridge sections have been successfully placed over South Rd to prepare for the highly-anticipated Flinders link rail project.

This time-lapse film shows how workers seemingly effortlessly created a rail bridge over South Rd last weekend.

https://youtu.be/Hj2vsqW8X4o

Giant sections of bridge were lowered into place, one of the most significant sections of the Tonsley rail line extension to Flinders University and Flinders Hospital.

Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Local Government Stephan Knoll announced the successful completion of the bridge works today after safety checks.

“The Flinders Link Project is well under way and is supporting around 55 local jobs,’’ he said.

“We are continuing to invest in public transport infrastructure and by extending this train line we will help connect the Flinders Medical and Education precinct with the city.

“This means people living in the southern suburbs will have better connectivity, from students, those needing to access Flinders Hospital and local residents who work in the city.”

But more is yet to be done in the 650m rail extension, which must include an elevated single track over Sturt Rd, Laffers Triangle and Main South Rd.

A new Flinders station will also be built, with the total project cost $141 million.

Piling work is currently being carried out along the length of the extension, starting on the western side of Main South Rd. This work will progressively move towards the northern end of the project site.

A total of 82 piles will support the new rail bridge and a further 65 will be installed for the elevated walkway. These are expected to be in place by the end of August.

This will make way for retaining walls, a ramp and the realignment of the track.

The project is scheduled for completion in mid-2020, with funding from the state and federal governments.

https://youtu.be/kb1foVOmku8

The extension will be critical to a new $1.5 billion housing development to be built at the university.
What is the date of the paywalled Adelaide Now article? The timelapse video is the the installation of the first span from 6-8 December.

The references to the piling work are rather odd. They imply this work will be be continuing through to August 2020, whereas the piling was surely completed in 2019, prior to the casting of the support piers.
Classic Advertiser!

The piles are due to be done by August 2020.

The project is due to be complete by mid-2020.

Which one is it Advertiser!

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by Eurostar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:36 am

In 2010 DTEI (DPTI) proposed the Tonsley branch line would be changed to light rail and be extended to Flinders University via Flinders Drive and a cutting into the main uni area carpark. The public transport interchange would of been in the Laffers Triangle area. Also the depressed road would of then had a flyover south of Flinders drive to the Southern Expressway. The proposed tram stops were Woodlands Park (north of the current train station), Ascot Park, Mitchell Park, Clovelly Park, Tonsley (south of Sturt Road), Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University. The park and ride would of been off David Cairns Drive.

The viaduct option they are doing now was actually a reject, and rightly so because the station is further from the main Flinders University area.

The 2010 proposal would have been good and I am sure future Governments will realise the current plan is the wrong option.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by how good is he » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 pm

So commuters coming from elsewhere by train would need to get off at Tonsley and then catch the light rail (and vice versa from the Uni)? How is that ideal?
I know the train doesn’t go to Flinders Uni etc but I expect the current bus shuttle that does Flinders Uni, FMC, Sturt (and ideally a bus interchange) will continue to service all these stops pretty satisfactorily.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Such a short link would have needed it's own depot and seperate electric AV/DV system.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#52 Post by SBD » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:38 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:39 pm
Such a short link would have needed it's own depot and seperate electric AV/DV system.
It could be linked to a Flinders-Marion Shops-Glenelg route across the southern suburbs using Sturt and Diagonal Roads.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Eurostar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 pm

how good is he wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 pm
So commuters coming from elsewhere by train would need to get off at Tonsley and then catch the light rail (and vice versa from the Uni)? How is that ideal?
I know the train doesn’t go to Flinders Uni etc but I expect the current bus shuttle that does Flinders Uni, FMC, Sturt (and ideally a bus interchange) will continue to service all these stops pretty satisfactorily.
the proposal was to have the tram-train share the corridor with the trains from Woodlands Park to Adelaide. Much like the Coast to Coast Rail proposal that Mike Rann wanted for the western lines

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:28 am

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 pm
how good is he wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 pm
the proposal was to have the tram-train share the corridor with the trains from Woodlands Park to Adelaide. Much like the Coast to Coast Rail proposal that Mike Rann wanted for the western lines
Is https://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... or_Web.PDF the DTEI study you are referring to? This study paved the way for the Darlington Interchange. This study from 2010 notes that funds had been committed to the upgrade and electrification of the Tonsley rail line (Sections 1.4.1 and 1.8). The rail options considered are in Section 5.3.3 with assessment in 5.4.2. The final proposal for rail infrastructure is in 7.2. The justification for tram-train is the topography of the proposed extension to Flinders Uni. Woodlands Park would have been provided with an additional low-level platform to facilitate passenger transfer to Seaford line trains. This study doesn't appear to mention running tram-trains into Adelaide.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Eurostar » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:48 pm

Yes that's the PDF I read through. I think the tram-train would of ran express between Woodlands Park and Adelaide. Possibly then up to Prospect. The 210 etc could of then be through linked with a modified 182/206 to Salisbury via Prospect Road then either Regency Road or Grand Junction Road then Bridge Road.

With the new Flinders Station I feel the State Government will encourage bus operators to feed their buses. Routes like G20 and G21 could during the daytime then be extended to Blackwood via Flinders University.

PeFe

#56 Post by PeFe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:17 am

Latest photos of the Flinders Link construction. Photos sourced from the DPTI SA Facebook page.

EBG

#57 Post by EBG » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:24 pm

Some pictures from 1/3/20. 1 ramp up north side of Sturt Rd . Note there is a pedestrian under pass in the left of picture .
2 bridge over Sturt Rd .
As usual please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20200301_rail 1.jpg
20200301_rail2.jpg
Last edited by EBG on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EBG

#58 Post by EBG » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:27 pm

3 continuing towards FMC 4 there still some gaps in the elevated section.
Please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20200301_rail 3.jpg
20200301_rail 4.jpg

EBG

#59 Post by EBG » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Sorry I can only load 2 pictures at a time. 5. at South Rd. The station will be on the far side in the distance behind the car. Please click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20200301_rail 5.jpg

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#60 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:18 am

That looks like a hefty bridge for a single track. From what I've read, it's not supposed to ever support a second track, but it looks like it can.