News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Transport Projects

#91 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:11 pm

kenget wrote:I'm hoping this is the best thread for this article I saw on the ABC news website today:
Graffiti-resistant glass for Adelaide trains

Damaged windows on Adelaide trains are to be replaced with graffiti-resistant glass, in a program costing $700,000.

The State Government says more than 900 new windows are being installed into 70 trains, with work expected to be complete by the end of the year.

The window replacement program precedes a planned interior refurbishment of Adelaide's trains over the next three years.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 372009.htm
I don't know much about trains so you'll have to forgive me. This is a great idea but are these same trains to be used when he netwok is electrified? If not isn't this a massive waste of money?

jordan85
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#92 Post by jordan85 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Ben wrote:
kenget wrote:I'm hoping this is the best thread for this article I saw on the ABC news website today:
Graffiti-resistant glass for Adelaide trains

Damaged windows on Adelaide trains are to be replaced with graffiti-resistant glass, in a program costing $700,000.

The State Government says more than 900 new windows are being installed into 70 trains, with work expected to be complete by the end of the year.

The window replacement program precedes a planned interior refurbishment of Adelaide's trains over the next three years.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 372009.htm
I don't know much about trains so you'll have to forgive me. This is a great idea but are these same trains to be used when he netwok is electrified? If not isn't this a massive waste of money?
I think a lot of the current 3000 seriec trains will be electrified, others will stay as diesel for the Belair line. The 2000 series will be scrapped. I think the $700,000 is money well spent... have you seen the train windows lately? Can barely see out of any of them due to the vandalism.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#93 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Great news!

When I used to catch the train I hated not being able to see out the windows. It was terrible.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#94 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:49 pm

SA FACTFILE
The 2000-class (Jumbos)
-Most of them have clear windows at this present time, as they are only used during the daytime.
-Will be retired in 2018, will not have any more refurbishments.

The 3000-class (Poxboxes)
-Many have fogged up windows due to a film on the windows that is supposed to prevent scratches to the windows. THe film however does not react well to the cleaning fluids TA uses to clean the trains.
-Some trains have had the films removed, but graffiti has been prevalent on those windows. Most of the graffiti are huge scratches, probably done with scissors or similar.
-58 of these trains will be refurbished and electrified, and 12 will still be refurbished which will continue to use the non-electrified Belair line.
-Refurbishment was already announced in the latest State Budget, but this is just some detail into this 3 year program.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Norman wrote:SA FACTFILE
The 2000-class (Jumbos)
-Most of them have clear windows at this present time, as they are only used during the daytime.
-Will be retired in 2018, will not have any more refurbishments.

The 3000-class (Poxboxes)
-Many have fogged up windows due to a film on the windows that is supposed to prevent scratches to the windows. THe film however does not react well to the cleaning fluids TA uses to clean the trains.
-Some trains have had the films removed, but graffiti has been prevalent on those windows. Most of the graffiti are huge scratches, probably done with scissors or similar.
-58 of these trains will be refurbished and electrified, and 12 will still be refurbished which will continue to use the non-electrified Belair line.
-Refurbishment was already announced in the latest State Budget, but this is just some detail into this 3 year program.
Thanks Norman, I didn't think (well hoped) the government was not spending so much money on something which would not be used in 2 years time. In this case this is great news as those windows are really bad. Hope they are scratch proof.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by Will409 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:58 pm

The 70 railcars to be converted are the 3000/3100 class railcars which are the railcars that suffer most from the opaque windows. All are to be retrofitted so no discrimination will be made against what ones are going to be converted to EMU operation or remain as DMUs. The 29 remaining 2000/2100 class railcars will not be treated since they are going to be removed from service in 10 years time at the latest and have never really suffered from the windows degrading anyway.

I just hope that if TA retain the acid based window cleaner that the currrently, they actually follow the directions and use it on only 1sq/m sections rather then simply spreading it over the entire window in one go!
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#97 Post by Somebody » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:56 pm

I remember when I travelled on a citybound Gawler Central Line train late at night last year that it was near impossible to see out even when the train was stopped at a station. Good luck not missing your stop!

Good to see those awful windows going.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#98 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm

Best news of the week, really about time the State Government did something about those disgraceful train windows.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#99 Post by Will409 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 am

Although I can't access the Advertiser website from TAFE, I found an article on Failpage that the poxbox's will have 2+2 seating replacing replacing the current 3+2 seating allowing for more standing passengers and increasing the total passenger carrying capacity of the fleet. Jumbo trailers 2103, 2112 and 2116 already have 2+2 seating and full length hand rails running along the cieling of the railcar to suit. A total of 10 to 12 seats will be removed from each railcar (depending on the seating arrangement since the various batches were different in some manner) and new seats provided. I personally hope that the 2 seat 'bench' that has been provided in the Melbourne comengs in chosen because they are reasonably comfortable.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#100 Post by Shuz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:18 am

Failpage? Pun intended? :P

Nonetheless its good news. A good start to refurbishing and revitalising our rail network to decent standards.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by muzzamo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 am

I'm not so sure about decreasing the number of seats though. Its very unpopular on the carriages they have done it for..

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#102 Post by Düsseldorfer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:25 pm

muzzamo wrote:I'm not so sure about decreasing the number of seats though. Its very unpopular on the carriages they have done it for..
i think the reason it is unpopular is because the seats aren't wide enough for 2 people (2 little people can fit but good luck trying to seat 2 very obese people :P )

but IMO i don't mind if they remove the 2x3 seating, however if it is only 2x2 i would expect to see new seats with higher backs and head rests as well as more row seats instead of all face-to-face seating cause on the 3000/3100's there is no leg room...

But still we will just have to wait and see what happens, with any luck we will be seeing the last of the foggy windows by the end of the year...YAY! :D

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#103 Post by Düsseldorfer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:51 pm

More standing room on trains

ANTIMO IANNELLA

September 24, 2008 09:00am

MORE than 700 seats will be removed from Adelaide trains over the next three years to increase standing room.

The State Government yesterday announced a $37 million refurbishment of 70 railcars in TransAdelaide's 3000 and 3100-class fleet.

That includes replacing decks of three seats on one side of the carriage with decks of two seats. This reduces seating by between 10 and 12 per carriage. Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the move would increase the capacity of each carriage by allowing more standing room.

People for Public Transport spokeswoman Margaret Dingle welcomed the changes but said more services were needed to deal with rising patronage.

More than 900 damaged windows will be replaced with graffiti-resistant glass at a cost of $700,000. The existing polycarbonate windows will be replaced with higher-standard glass windows, which are stronger and harder to break. Work is expected to get underway this week, with an upgrade of train interiors completed over the next three years.

Mr Conlon said the upgrading was part of a $2 billion public transport investment. He said 58 diesel-electric trains would be converted to electricity, to complement a new fleet of 50 electric trains expected to be in operation by 2012. "It will give us the best public transport system in Australia at the end of that time," Mr Conlon said.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

Will409
Legendary Member!

#104 Post by Will409 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:12 pm

Shuz wrote:Failpage? Pun intended? :P
Not so much a pun but the honest truth. Fang is probably THE most unreliable server I have ever known. Icarus was supposed to be online a little over a year ago and nothing has been done.

(and yes, Railpage does give its servers names).

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#105 Post by Somebody » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:17 pm

The 'Failpage' nickname is deserved for more reasons than the servers. Fang has been gone for some time.

Cutting back poxbox seating to 2x2 is silly.

Will409, do you have the link to the thread where you posted pics of stations on the Gawler Central Line? I feel like a laugh :)
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.