News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Transport Projects

#346 Post by neoballmon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Wayno wrote:Bicycle lane metal detectors
Metal detectors in vehicle lanes
I had no idea these were metal detectors!! I've always though they were pressure pads, and wondered how bikes could activate them, but jumping on them did nothing! It makes so much sense now.
Are the ones that are in the road to detect speeding and going through Red lights are metal detectors as well?
AG wrote:One of the funny things I see often is people repetitively pressing the pedestrian call button while waiting to cross. Pressing the button once registers a call to the computer that someone is waiting to cross. Pressing it multiple times does nothing to speed up how quickly the lights change because it is subject to where the signalling sequence is up to and whether the computer believes that is traffic coming from neighbouring intersections - also the same reason why the lights seem to stay red for ages on some approaches.
It just makes me laugh. I saw someone the other day, pressing the button at least 30 times! I was right next to him, and almost going to open the window and tell him once is enough, but I couldn't be bothered.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#347 Post by mattblack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

Wayno wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Try living above an intersection. All I hear all day is, "PUMPA PUMPA PUMPA PUMPA."
Lol. Are you sure it's not noise from the nearby gym or brothel? :lol:
CLASSIC! :lol: :lol:

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#348 Post by fabricator » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:00 pm

AG wrote:One of the funny things I see often is people repetitively pressing the pedestrian call button while waiting to cross. Pressing the button once registers a call to the computer that someone is waiting to cross. Pressing it multiple times does nothing to speed up how quickly the lights change because it is subject to where the signalling sequence is up to ...
If only this were true. See the computer controlling the signals is connected to several hundred meters of noisy electrical wiring. Its also out in the heat which also doesn't help matters, and I have my doubts about the switches which may or may not have been used by dogs as a urinal.

By design there are two computers conected to the signals, the main one that controlls everything, and the watchdog computer which monitors everything and controlls only the reset line for the main computer. Sometimes pressing the button the first time just makes the watchdog realize somethings not responding and hit reset again.

For this reason I usually press the button a second time a little while later, unless some other sap does it for me.
AG wrote:... and whether the computer believes that is traffic coming from neighbouring intersections - also the same reason why the lights seem to stay red for ages on some approaches.
Yeah, or the darn thing has crashed again.
I was watching one set of lights one night (the sun had gone down but the heat remained) while waiting for takeaway food or something, could see both sets of signals. The main road went Green, Yellow, Red, then the side road flickers green for 1/2 a microsecond *computer crash*, back to red again. Whole sequence repeated 3 times took 5 minutes in total, despite how dark it was I could clearly make out the smoke erupting from one driver's ears.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#349 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

fabricator wrote:...For this reason I usually press the button a second time a little while later, unless some other sap does it for me...
My OCD in pressing them twice for "redundancy" is vindicated then.

But there's no reason for PUMPA PUMPA except ignorant savages. :wink:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

metro
Legendary Member!

#350 Post by metro » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:55 pm

those countdown timers on the pedestrian lights have been introduced at the Rundle/Hindley/KWS, and the Pirie/Waymouth/KWS intersections. Not sure why they didnt also add the animated green man who starts running as the numbers go down to 5 seconds. Would have been a first in this country, something cool in Adelaide for the rest of the country to copy. Like check out the German pedestrian crossing that lets you play a game while you wait:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#351 Post by neoballmon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:52 pm

I saw this today, Ocean Boulevard (A15/Lonsdale Highway), just north of Seacliff Park, I'm curious as to what it's for. It seems to have just popped up, there was no evidence of it last time I went down the road, and that would have been little more than a week ago I believe.

I'm heading north in the picture, and this is just where Northbound goes from 80km/h to 60km/h (you can see the 60 sign)

I doubt it's for signage, as both structures appear to be facing the same way (with the section the worker walks through, on the southern side).
There was no evidence between Sturt Road and Goldsmith Drive of any other similar structures going up elsewhere.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#352 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:06 pm

These are usually the holders of the Safe-T-Cams that monitor truck movement and check car registration, but I'm not 100% sure on this one considering the location.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#353 Post by neoballmon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Truckie cameras was my first thought when I saw it, but I can't see why there would be one here. Especially if no others are put up, the closest will be on Port Wakefield Road.

Registration Checking however, could be quite possible.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#354 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:13 pm

On the Northbound lane, just before/after (can't remember exactly) the Majors Road traffic lights there is a sign saying something about dangerous goods and use an alternate route.

Could they be to check Truck number plates to check that no dangerous goods are being transported down the hill? I assume the signs are in place due to the Cement works. Not really sure though...
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#355 Post by Aidan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:23 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:On the Northbound lane, just before/after (can't remember exactly) the Majors Road traffic lights there is a sign saying something about dangerous goods and use an alternate route.

Could they be to check Truck number plates to check that no dangerous goods are being transported down the hill? I assume the signs are in place due to the Cement works. Not really sure though...
It's been many decades since the cement company left. One premixed concrete company remained much longer but I'm pretty sure that's gone now too. There's still a rather large quarry in operation a few hundred metres further south.

The dangerous goods prohibition was originally targetted at fuel tankers (as Ocean Boulevard was the shortest route between Port Stanvac and a significant part of the Adelaide Plains). Presumably the government decided the reasons for prohibiting fuel tankers also apply to other dangerous goods.

They wouldn't bother to install huge gantries for cameras - simple poles should be sufficient for that. And being adjacent for both directions, they can't be for traffic signals. So they're obviously for displaying some sort of information to drivers. Maybe they'll have variable speed limits?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#356 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 am

They look like the truck safety cameras, very similar to the ones seen on Port Wakefield Highway just north of the Salisbury Highway Interchange.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#357 Post by Rene » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:58 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:a sign saying something about dangerous goods and use an alternate route
That's probably being overlooked at the moment whilst Majors Rd is closed to through traffic. The sign is a carryover from the days when there was a refinery at Port Stanvac.
Norman wrote:These are usually the holders of the Safe-T-Cams that monitor truck movement and check car registration, but I'm not 100% sure on this one considering the location.
I guess it will initially be for checking trucks, then move to include other vehicles over time. Considering trucks and buses are meant to be in low gear going down, a number of them regularly pass me. Apparently travelling at the speed limit isn't fast enough :roll: Mind you I don't think too many trucks would be speeding going up the hill :lol:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#358 Post by neoballmon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:42 pm

The cameras seem to be up now. I saw last night, and it was dark, I can confirm that the northbound lanes cameras were facing up the hill (at the front of the car) and in pretty sure the Southbound cameras were facing the same way (at the back of the car)

I'm thinking the registration checking will be a prominent feature, as well as monitoring trucks.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#359 Post by HeapsGood » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:01 am

neoballmon wrote:The cameras seem to be up now. I saw last night, and it was dark, I can confirm that the northbound lanes cameras were facing up the hill (at the front of the car) and in pretty sure the Southbound cameras were facing the same way (at the back of the car)

I'm thinking the registration checking will be a prominent feature, as well as monitoring trucks.

Is that Holdfast Bay or Marion land? I'm tempted to give them a call to find out what the official story is...cant find jack online
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#360 Post by neoballmon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:37 am

HeapsGood wrote:
neoballmon wrote:The cameras seem to be up now. I saw last night, and it was dark, I can confirm that the northbound lanes cameras were facing up the hill (at the front of the car) and in pretty sure the Southbound cameras were facing the same way (at the back of the car)

Is that Holdfast Bay or Marion land? I'm tempted to give them a call to find out what the official story is...cant find jack online
I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure Brighton Road is the border of the two councils. So both probably know about it.

Also, to correct my last message, the southbound carriageway cameras are facing the front of the cars, not the rear. Sorry.