[COM] A9 Port River Expressway | 5.5km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Port River Expressway (Stage One Complete)

#91 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:32 pm

I love the water feature on Glen Osmond Rd, just a shame we are in a very bad drought atm.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:34 pm

crawf wrote:I love the water feature on Glen Osmond Rd, just a shame we are in a very bad drought atm.
it's absolutely shocking that a water feature at the GATEWAY to a first world city like adelaide cannot be turned on.
crawf wrote:'Dam this stupid Adelaide thinking?' :roll:
is this coming from mr "OMG ADELAIDE IS SO GOOD IT'S BOOMING, IT'S NOT BACKWARD; IT'S WORLDCLASS!!!!!!"

now that deserves a :roll:

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by JamesXander » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:44 pm

The fountain not being turned on is a stupid stunt by the Government. Ofcourse they have to put a big sign saying 'saving water for drought, SOUTH AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT'

I say more public art! More Fountains. Those fake boats on the Torrens are pretty cool also.

I've always thought I big soldier commorating all those Fallen during times of war should be build somehwere. Like a 10 m Giant. That would be pretty special in my books.

Call me Crazy but I used to always Imagine a carving of a Digger etched into the Mt Lofty Moutains whenever I'd sit in the back seat in the 'rents car. I pretty much do the same thing now driving to work. haha

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#94 Post by Cruise » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:08 am

Mants wrote:
Cruise wrote:They represent a waste of money and mixed up priorities.
public art and beautification of our city is a very important thing.

why do we have architects and designers to make our buildings look more visually appealing? why not have a standard design accross the entire city?? sure, it costs more, but overall it adds to the aesthetics of the surrounding area.

damn this stupid adelaide thinking. if this were melbourne or another progressive city we'd be demanding better, rather we're demanding less or nothing at all.
My point is they haven't even finished the bloody bridge yet. Finish The bridge first, then you can have public art coming out of my arse for all i care.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#95 Post by Omicron » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:47 am

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:I love the water feature on Glen Osmond Rd, just a shame we are in a very bad drought atm.
it's absolutely shocking that a water feature at the GATEWAY to a first world city like adelaide cannot be turned on.
It's a sad reflection upon the intelligence of the wider community that the usage of a single water feature dictates the water-conservation efforts of the entire city, if the words of councillors and politicians are to be believed.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#96 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 am

We are in the worst drought in our life time.
Mants wrote:
Oh dear, what is seriously going on with some kids in this city. You do know that because of the drought many water features in Melbourne (yes Melbourne! :shock: ) have had to been switched off.
crawf wrote:'Dam this stupid Adelaide thinking?' :roll:
is this coming from mr "OMG ADELAIDE IS SO GOOD IT'S BOOMING, IT'S NOT BACKWARD; IT'S WORLDCLASS!!!!!!"

You need to have a good look at the way you've been talking lately, your reminding me of a 13 year old child.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#97 Post by rogue » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:33 pm

JamesXander wrote:I've always thought I big soldier commorating all those Fallen during times of war should be build somehwere. Like a 10 m Giant. That would be pretty special in my books.

Call me Crazy but I used to always Imagine a carving of a Digger etched into the Mt Lofty Moutains whenever I'd sit in the back seat in the 'rents car. I pretty much do the same thing now driving to work. haha
Mt Diggermore.....

Mants
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by Mants » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:51 pm

crawf wrote:Oh dear, what is seriously going on with some kids in this city. You do know that because of the drought many water features in Melbourne (yes Melbourne! :shock: ) have had to been switched off.
i was under the impression that we were talking about the convent fountain in Adelaide.

its all a stupid stunt by the state govt to make it appear that SA is doing something to combat the drought, when really it makes the intersection look cheap. ever heard of recycling water?
crawf wrote:'You need to have a good look at the way you've been talking lately, your reminding me of a 13 year old child.
it would be nice if you actually provided a reasonable reply. i put forward the view that Adelaide often criticises things due to their practicality or necessity, but the beautification of our city IS important. what do you do? roll your eyes.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#99 Post by JamesXander » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:49 pm

rogue wrote:
JamesXander wrote:I've always thought I big soldier commorating all those Fallen during times of war should be build somehwere. Like a 10 m Giant. That would be pretty special in my books.

Mt Diggermore.....
haha.

No doubt it would get messed up in politics and end up just being a face of KG Cunningham.

Oh dear god.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#100 Post by JamesXander » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:52 pm

Mants wrote: it would be nice if you actually provided a reasonable reply. i put forward the view that Adelaide often criticises things due to their practicality or necessity, but the beautification of our city IS important. what do you do? roll your eyes.

Indeed. The fountain should be left on, maybe with a sign saying something like- Your doing your bit for the Muarry, enjoy this fountain rah rah rah. Recyled water rah rah rah'.

Its pretty lame that they turn off a water feature at teh main enterance to our city. Looks crappy an daggy. And its probably only saving a few hundred or thousand litres.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#101 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:29 am

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:Oh dear, what is seriously going on with some kids in this city. You do know that because of the drought many water features in Melbourne (yes Melbourne! :shock: ) have had to been switched off.
i was under the impression that we were talking about the convent fountain in Adelaide.

its all a stupid stunt by the state govt to make it appear that SA is doing something to combat the drought, when really it makes the intersection look cheap. ever heard of recycling water?
I do not believe its a stunt, we are in a very bad drought how hard is that for you to understand, most of Adelaide is drying out fast and it will probably wont be long before the State Government curbs the use of bore water. And how do you even know the State Government is probably looking at the option of using recycling water right now? (there were 4 workers at the site today)

You know its not the only water feature that has been switched off.
crawf wrote:'You need to have a good look at the way you've been talking lately, your reminding me of a 13 year old child.
it would be nice if you actually provided a reasonable reply. i put forward the view that Adelaide often criticises things due to their practicality or necessity, but the beautification of our city IS important. what do you do? roll your eyes.
You call "Dam this stupid Adelaide thinking'" and the comment bellow reasonable? :shock:

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#102 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:33 pm

Today's "Advertiser" page 13:

Port Expressway
$178m bridges delay

THE opening of the $178 million road and rail bridgesas part of the Port River Expressway development
will be delayed.

[summary] Officials will meet with Abigroup next Tuesday for a revised timetable. Rod Hook said
"only fine tuning was needed". No indication of when the bridges will open.

I didn't find anything further on the DTEI sites, but they do have a postcard for mariners with tide / clearance info,
& a comparison of the PRExy & Birkenhead bridges ...
http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... y_2007.pdf

Mants
Legendary Member!

#103 Post by Mants » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:39 pm

crawf wrote:I do not believe its a stunt, we are in a very bad drought how hard is that for you to understand, most of Adelaide is drying out fast and it will probably wont be long before the State Government curbs the use of bore water. And how do you even know the State Government is probably looking at the option of using recycling water right now? (there were 4 workers at the site today)
i am aware that there is a drought in south australia, probably even moreso than you as my family owns land in areas of the fleurieu. it is obvious that turning off the convent fountain is a stunt by the state government, have you even READ the sign? im not aware who owns the fountain (possibly the unley council?). why has the state government plastered their name all over the fountain? because they think that saving a few hundred litres will help the drought? the irony of the situation is that earlier this week there was a burst water main on cross road at which thousands upon thousands of litres were lost.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#104 Post by crawf » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:21 pm

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:I do not believe its a stunt, we are in a very bad drought how hard is that for you to understand, most of Adelaide is drying out fast and it will probably wont be long before the State Government curbs the use of bore water. And how do you even know the State Government is probably looking at the option of using recycling water right now? (there were 4 workers at the site today)
i am aware that there is a drought in south australia, probably even moreso than you as my family owns land in areas of the fleurieu. it is obvious that turning off the convent fountain is a stunt by the state government, have you even READ the sign? im not aware who owns the fountain (possibly the unley council?). why has the state government plastered their name all over the fountain? because they think that saving a few hundred litres will help the drought? the irony of the situation is that earlier this week there was a burst water main on cross road at which thousands upon thousands of litres were lost.
As you know I LIVE in the hills (which is currently bone dry), I have family that live down in the South East and I used to live in the country. So I know very much about a drought thanks.

Yes ofcourse I have read the sign and I see nothing wrong with it - it just lets people know why it has been switched off, especially that the fountain is at a major intersection. Well maybe its owned by Transport SA, so thats why :roll:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#105 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:43 pm

So, about the expressway...