COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
drsmith
Legendary Member!

Re: #U/C: Northern Expressway | 22km

#196 Post by drsmith » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 pm

Cruise wrote: In between Waterloo Corner road intersection and Taylors road intersection
No sign of serious construction there yet when I passed through a couple of days ago but it must be due to start soon. There's still roadworks activity south of Waterloo Corner road but that's mainly to do with the construction of a wire rope barrier in the road median.

I saw the northeastern part of of the expressway construction from the air shortly after takeoff of a flight from Adelaide to Perth on Monday afternoon. The road allignment is now clearly defined.

I also got a glimpse of the South Road underpass at Anzac Aighway. A significant amount of the road pavement for the underpass appeared to have been laid.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#197 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Thanks Rogue!
I also got a glimpse of the South Road underpass at Anzac Aighway. A significant amount of the road pavement for the underpass appeared to have been laid.
You'd hope so, it opens in just over a week!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#198 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#199 Post by raulduke » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:06 pm

drsmith wrote:
Cruise wrote: In between Waterloo Corner road intersection and Taylors road intersection
No sign of serious construction there yet when I passed through a couple of days ago but it must be due to start soon. There's still roadworks activity south of Waterloo Corner road but that's mainly to do with the construction of a wire rope barrier in the road median.

I saw the northeastern part of of the expressway construction from the air shortly after takeoff of a flight from Adelaide to Perth on Monday afternoon. The road allignment is now clearly defined.

barriers are going out on pt wakefield road in the next couple of weeks, with geotech testing to start shortly. the interchange proper starts just north of taylors road.

asphalt is due to start on the main alignment this month.

angle vale road interchange should open to traffic in a month or two.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#200 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:01 am

raulduke wrote:
drsmith wrote:

barriers are going out on pt wakefield road in the next couple of weeks, with geotech testing to start shortly. the interchange proper starts just north of taylors road.

asphalt is due to start on the main alignment this month.

angle vale road interchange should open to traffic in a month or two.
When are all the Interchanges expected to be completed by?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#201 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:01 pm

The whole thing opens mid next year I think.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#202 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm asking when is it expected i can drive over the new interchanges, i am assuming this is well before the whole project is completed

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#203 Post by raulduke » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:51 am

Cruise, they open progressively you are correct, Angle Vale first, then Curtis, then Heaslip and the others come a bit later

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#204 Post by Cruise » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Im looking forward to seeing the Womma/Heaslip interchange personally. It seems to be the most interesting one.

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#205 Post by Zills » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:27 pm

From AdelaideNow:
Northern Expressway project 'bonanza' for interstate firms
GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR

March 27, 2009 01:03pm

LOCAL construction companies have lost $13 million in hire costs because interstate machinery is being used on the giant Northern Expressway project, the Opposition says.

In comments that have been ridiculed by the Government, Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith said the $564 million project was proving to be "a bonanza" for interstate contractors.

"Many earth-moving hire companies are sitting idle in SA while more than 50 graders, dump trucks and front-end loaders are imported from interstate to build the highway," he said.

"The Northern Expressway has blown out in cost from $300 million to $564 million yet it appears little work could be found for SA hire companies.

"Premier Rann wants the rest of SA to buy local but he's not putting his money where his mouth is."

Mr Hamilton-Smith said payroll tax and WorkCover levies in this state were among the highest in the nation which meant local firms were operating at a disadvantage.

"Reform is needed to allow SA businesses to compete on a level playing field with interstate companies," he said.

He said the Civil Contractors Federation had advised him that less than one-in-four pieces of plant used to build the expressway was sourced from SA.

"Contractors tell me at least 50 pieces of earth-moving equipment that could be hired here is being sourced from across the border," Mr Hamilton-Smith said.
Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon said there was "so much that is dumb about what the Opposition Leader has said".

Mr Conlon said many SA companies had won major civil construction contracts interstate and occasionally one of the interstate firms won jobs here.

"This job employs hundreds and hundreds of locals and has brought a new asphalt plant to this state," he said.

Mr Conlon said the job had also brought work for a lot of long-term unemployed from the area.

"If a long-standing relationship means contractors hire machinery from interstate firms, that's how it should be," he said.

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#206 Post by raulduke » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:09 am

i would like to see where the CCF have got their figures from, because they certainly havent asked the companies building the expressway

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#207 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the updated completion date is now September 2010.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#208 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:42 pm

whats the new permanent electronic signs on port wakefield road (just south of the waterloo corner road intersection) for?

They look exactly the same as the ones for the port river bridges. Surely they are not for alerting motorists the Port river bridges are open 20 kms away?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#209 Post by AtD » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Like this?

They're for indecent reporting, eg collision ahead, use alternate route.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#210 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Yep, like that.

On the median strip though