COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
shuza
High Rise Poster!

#46 Post by shuza » Thu May 17, 2007 9:22 am

Ah i see how the system works now. I often call that the American junction, because it feels like your driving on the right hand side of the road.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by AG » Sun May 20, 2007 11:05 am

Flood risks halt $2bn projects
May 20, 2007 12:15am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
AUTHORITIES will fund urgent flood-mapping of the Gawler River amid fears major infrastructure projects worth more than $2 billion could be at flood risk.

The State Government and councils took the action this week following fears the $550 million Northern Expressway and the $2 billion Buckland Park township could be threatened in the event of freak weather conditions.
The flood risk has raised concerns there could be further cost blowouts in the design of the four-lane Expressway and cast a cloud over the 7000-home development.

Last week, the Sunday Mail revealed that new State Government research asserted that flood levels along the Gawler River had been underestimated.

New flood-mapping of the region costing $200,000 will start immediately and take up to six months to complete.

The State Government will fund half of the project, with local councils and the consortium behind the Buckland Park development meeting the shortfall.

The funding was agreed at a special meeting of the Gawler River Floodplain Management Authority on Thursday morning.

Authority chairman Dr Bruce Eastick said the board was of the "unanimous view" that flood-mapping was necessary for the "future of all parties".

"It is aimed at providing information to the individual groups as to whether, A, they undertake further flooding measures or, B, their proposals don't proceed," Dr Eastick said.

"I understand that the general planning (of the projects) is proceeding but finality cannot be reached until they get the results of the inquiry."

Any new flood zone could halt new development in the Adelaide Plains, including key horticultural centres in Virginia and Two Wells.

The controversial 23km Northern Expressway, from Gawler to Port Wakefield, will pass over the Gawler River at Hillier.

Detailed design work on a road bridge has not been completed, but Dr Eastick said the height of the bridge may need to be increased to "allow the water to disappear quicker than it arrives".

Last August, state Transport Minister Patrick Conlon announced a $250 million blow-out in the expressway from $300 million to $550 million.

At the time, he asked the Federal Government to increase its funding share from $240 million to $440 million.

Federal Roads Minister Jim Lloyd said this week he would seek assurances from the State Government that the design of the expressway met all federal and state environmental requirements.

"The team is currently examining the design and length of the bridge widths and embankments to ensure the project will not adversely affect the local region in times of severe flooding," he said.

Department of Transport major projects director Rod Hook said the alignment of the route will not change. "It won't change the alignment but it will influence the height of the bridge and the capacity of the openings of culverts," he said.

"We will be able to manage it within the budget but in theory, if you raise the height of the road, costs will increase."

The Federal Government will not guarantee funding of the project until it approves the detailed designs.

Mr Hook hoped the designs would be completed early next year, with construction to start in late 2008.

Australian property magnate and billionaire Lang Walker is bank-rolling the Buckland Park project, which is being co-ordinated and part-financed by South Australian developers Daycorp.

Daycorp director Dean Day said "we're committed" to the project despite the spectre of increased flood waters.

"When you look at developing a new suburb, in effect, there is always going to be issues that arise and these issues need to be researched, examined and resolved," he said.

State Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith was concerned that the cost of the Northern Expressway would again blow-out.

"It had been raised with me at public meetings that the expressway will become a barrier to the movement of flood waters across the plains," he said.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by shuza » Sun May 20, 2007 1:28 pm

The more I hear of this, I'm actually inclined to be against it. It promotes urban sprawl, regardless whether its actual intention is to alleviate freight traffic through Salisbury. $550 million could get us a decent electrified train network and mabye a few more tramlines.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by crawf » Sun May 20, 2007 6:33 pm

I disagree, this freeway is needed (including the full upgrade of Pt Wakefield Road).

Some people have started to use the back roads, instead of Main North Road.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#50 Post by Cruise » Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 pm

crawf wrote:I disagree, this freeway is needed (including the full upgrade of Pt Wakefield Road).

Some people have started to use the back roads, instead of Main North Road.
One of these back roads is called Heaslip Road and i dare you to drive down it during peak hour its dangerous and a capark. (and full of news crews today watching david hicks land).

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: "Northern Freeway"

#51 Post by rogue » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:31 pm

Just a reminder from an earlier post. These have now been taken out of circulation but there are a few kicking around if anyone is interested.

It's worth a squizz.
For those interested, hard copies of the Environmental Report have been released by DTEI. This is a massive document and carries a price tag of about $90.

However, you can pick up the Executive Summary (including CD with the rest of the report on it) for FREE from Service SA on North Terrace.

Hours of bedtime reading. Enjoy...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re:

#52 Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:40 pm

shuza wrote:The more I hear of this, I'm actually inclined to be against it. It promotes urban sprawl, regardless whether its actual intention is to alleviate freight traffic through Salisbury. $550 million could get us a decent electrified train network and mabye a few more tramlines.
Of course, it doesnt help little old you so why should the government build a freeway without thinking about you.

the world dosnt revolve around you.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#53 Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:46 pm

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... Access.jpg

This explains a bit about the port wakefield road upgrade, though can someone tell me what is going to change at the port wakefield/salisbury hwy intersection?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#54 Post by rhino » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:57 am

Looking at that pdf reminded me of something that has always puzzled me. I don't get out that way much, but I can't understand why Kings Road ends on Bolivar Road, and not the other way around. Considering Kings Road takes traffic all the way to Modbury and the north eastern suburbs, it looks like traffic would flow better if Kings Road came out on to Port Wakefield Road, and Bolivar Road ended on Kings Road. Can somebody from out that way tell me if the current layout at this location works effectively?
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#55 Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:48 am

Its not very clear is it? it look like the main things that are being done are the service road to businesses, good idea really, But what the stretch really neads is an additional lanes all the way to the northern expressway. I might flow alright now, but wait until the expressway is in and then there will be problems for port wakefield road

Plus interactive map on the transport sa site now:
http://nexy.deadline.net.au/aspx/default.aspx

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:31 pm

Kings Road apparently is an A-Class road, at least according to Transport SA. West of Salisbury Hwy, it's just a suburban road, single lane, no curb, few turning lanes and lined with driveways. It's also got a couple of round-a-bouts, so freight doesn't use it much at all. And of course, TSA still signs it as A-class.

East of Salsibury Hwy it's a 4 lanes and up to 80km/h sprint to North East Rd, more to A-class standard with overhead signals and turning lanes.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#57 Post by rhino » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Thanks Adam. I guess the A class designation means there are future plans for the road.
cheers,
Rhino

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 pm

It was upgraded, in part, last year. Some turning lanes and a larger round-a-bout were added between Salisbury Hwy and Martins Rd. The upgraded section, for the most part, does not meet A-Class standard, I believe.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by Will409 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:59 pm

What I find a shame is that the particular section of Kings Road could be upgraded to A class standard like the section from Salisbury Highway to Main North Road although perhaps without the median strip. 4 lanes without a median strip could be easily accomodated if the 'private drives' were removed and the generous width between the road and the footpaths trimmed back beyond the drives. The round about at Kings/Martins Road is already 4 lane capable.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#60 Post by Punishment466 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:06 am

Mods/Admin baleet this please :P.
Last edited by Punishment466 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.