COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

#31 Post by Cruise » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:25 pm

what are the upgrades getting done to port wakefield road and the salisbury highway overpass? the broucher doesnt make it clear at all it just says new traffic lights and other upgrades. im worried about all this extra traffic on there because at peak hour its hell as it is

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by rogue » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Latest issue of expressway newsletter. See link...

http://www.northernexpressway.sa.gov.au ... ch2007.pdf

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by Pistol » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:20 pm

So am I reading this right... there is going to be an 'at speed' connection at the Gawler end of the expressway and then the traffic has to stop at traffic lights where it connects with the Port Wakefield Road? Then are they going to upgrade the interchange with the Port River Expressway so there are no traffic lights at that interchange as well? It seems like this is going to be a bit of a half-assed approach to me. There should be an interchange at the intersection of the Port Wakefield Road and the Northern Expressway and there should also be a HUGE upgrade of the interchange at the Port River Expressway intersection. Otherwise there is going to be a bottle neck of heavy vehicles at these two points on Port Wakefield Road.

Is it just me or does everyone think that once again we are being left out in the dark by the Federal government with this project. It seems like a huge amount of money but after reading on SSC about the 1.9 billion upgrade to the Ipswich motorway (which the federal government is handing out most of the cash for) South Australia once again gets short changed!

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by Ho Really » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:55 am

Pistol78, as it sounds it is another half-assed project. Can we ever do anything right in this state?

Cheers

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by rogue » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 am

Ho Really wrote:Pistol78, as it sounds it is another half-assed project. Can we ever do anything right in this state?

Cheers
Half- assed..... I dont even think its that good.

The proposed alignment of the freeway doesn't really offer a saving in distance. Would probably be longer than the current Heaslip / Angle Vale Roads route.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#36 Post by Cruise » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:46 pm

is this more important than fixing south road or easier?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:16 am

rogue wrote: The proposed alignment of the freeway doesn't really offer a saving in distance. Would probably be longer than the current Heaslip / Angle Vale Roads route.
But there are farms and businesses on Heaslip and Angle Vale Roads, not to mention Angle Vale township itself. If the freeway used thes corridors as an alignment, a new road would have to be built to service these premises. It makes far more sense to put the freeway on a totally new alignment, providing it's cost-effective.

I think this freeway should be a huge success, except for the section along the Port Wakefield Road alignment, which has the potential to bugger the whole thing up by backing up traffic. Remember it's being built primarily as a freight corridor, and it will get a lot of freight off the Main North Road through Elizabeth and Salisbury, and free up Montague and Grand Junction Roads a lot too.
cheers,
Rhino

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by rogue » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:58 pm

For those interested, hard copies of the Environmental Report have been released by DTEI. This is a massive document and carries a price tag of about $90.

However, you can pick up the Executive Summary (including CD with the rest of the report on it) for FREE from Service SA on North Terrace.

Hours of bedtime reading. Enjoy...

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Punishment466 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:56 pm

:).

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by Cruise » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:59 pm

I cant beleive theres gonna be a signalised intersection at Port Wakefield Rd and the Northern Expressway. Did someone say cost cutting?

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by shuza » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:32 am

Cost cutting, cost blowouts? I just dont know what to believe anymore.

Thats ludicrous to have a signalised intersection. And upon closer look in that render, there appears to be a slip lane from the southbound lanes into Port wakefield road southbound, but there also appears a sort of dead-ended traffic intersection and no sliplane for cars to enter Northbound traffic on Pt wakfield road.

For a project they call of great benefit to all south Australians, this is a pure example of cheap, nasty SA style development with no real merit to it.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#42 Post by Cruise » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:54 pm

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... /index.asp

an interactive map can be found on here

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by rogue » Wed May 16, 2007 4:10 pm

From AdelaideNow.

Hopefully the additional access ramps will be at the Pt Wakefield Road end.
Thousands have say on expressway

May 16, 2007 03:00pm

MORE than 5000 people have attended community information events about the huge Northern Expressway project in the northern suburbs.

The controversial project, which has blown out in cost by more than $250 million, is in the final planning stages.

The State Government is negotiating with the Commonwealth for extra funding to build the expressway.

The expressway will run for 23km from Gawler to Port Wakefield Rd.

Acting Transport Minister Jay Weatherill said one of the requests from the public feedback was for the construction of three additional access ramps on the freeway.

"As a result of this strong support we have written to the Commonwealth bringing this to their attention," he said.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:31 am

Cruise Control wrote:I cant beleive theres gonna be a signalised intersection at Port Wakefield Rd and the Northern Expressway. Did someone say cost cutting?
I believe they are doing it this way for now and if traffic gets too much they will think about modifying Port Wakefield road to handle the major excess traffic it will experience.

This is something I heard somewhere through the grapevine. They will probably remove all sign-age between the expressway and Salisbury hwy and replace them with ramps so that section will be grade separated if Port Wakefield road gets too jammed.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by Will409 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:40 am

The arrangement of the Port Wakefield Road/Exressway intersection is virtually identical (with the exception of the overpass) at Port Wakefield Road and Salosbury Highway with a slip lane inbetween the two running lanes south and north. I have noted hardly any if any traffic congestion other then for accidents in about 10 years.