COM: Northern Expressway | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #U/C: Northern Expressway | 22km

#301 Post by Paulns » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:46 am

RayRichards wrote:Would this new road make the current PREXY stretch between South Rd and Port Wakefield pretty much obsolete? As it is mostly wetlands either side of the road wouldnt imagine much traffic through it.
No way mate, heaps of people use this stretch of road to travel onto the Salisbury Highway to the Northern Suburbs. The Northern Connector is being principally designed to cater for heavy vehicle traffic between the Barossa Valley and Riverland regions and Port Adelaide, via the Northern and Port River Expressways. Most local traffic for people that live between Mawson Lakes and Waterloo Corner will still use the currant Salisbury Highway and Port Wakefield Road.

By the way drove past the Port Wakefield Road Interchange yesterday and it is coming along veeeery nicely! Already bitumising the ramps either side of the bridge. Hopefully this one should be open in a couple of months. I think this bridge will give people an awesome view of the city as they approach from the north! Especially at night. Can't wait for this to open to traffic!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#302 Post by RayRichards » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:09 pm

[/quote] By the way drove past the Port Wakefield Road Interchange yesterday and it is coming along veeeery nicely! Already bitumising the ramps either side of the bridge. Hopefully this one should be open in a couple of months. I think this bridge will give people an awesome view of the city as they approach from the north! Especially at night. Can't wait for this to open to traffic![/quote]

Yes! :cheers: That will a good one to drive over! Reading the Northen Connector webpage seems to show that the proposed Interchange there will be a humdinger!

Ray.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#303 Post by Brando » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Hooligan wrote:
raulduke wrote:I work on the project and although i find the roundabouts uncomfortable to drive around, traffic lights are a pain in the arse.

A jihad on traffic lights!

The Roundabouts arent the problem, it's the new windy roads that lead to them.
Ironic talking about this. One of the overpasses was closed yesterday due to a truck rollover on the roundabout.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#304 Post by jk1237 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:42 pm

sorry to change subject and mods feel free to move it, but the volume of cars that travel on the south Rd connector and Port River expressway between the Port area and Salis/Eliz is enormous, yet there is no bus service of any shape or form that connects the north to the Port. Surely a bus from Mawson Interchange to Port Adelaide via Dry Creek (ie Cormac Rd) and Ottoway would cater for the odd worker in the thousands of industrial workplaces in that corridor

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#305 Post by DM8 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 am

Found this on DTEI this morning - February "fact sheet":

http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... /int1D.PDF
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#306 Post by Aidan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 pm

85trainfan wrote:
Westside wrote: Note other bridges around Adelaide and you will see they don't follow the original road: Ie Grand Junction Rd over Gawler and Port Adelaide Train Lines. South Rd under Anzac Hwy is to the West of the original alignment. There are a lot more examples i'm sure. It makes a lot of sense really.
Long time reader, but first post, so here goes

So what happened when the "Southern Expressway" was built? Honeypot Rd,Flaxmill Rd and Young street are built on there original alignment.
I was out of the country at the time so am not 100% sure, but there was a wide reservation available for the Southern Expressway so making a temporary diversion wouldn't have been hard for Flaxmill and Honeypot Rds.

Young Street was quite different - the original alignment may have been the same horizontally, but it was completely different vertically. The bridge was not there before the Southern Expressway - it used to be a ford.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#307 Post by RayRichards » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm

jk1237 wrote:sorry to change subject and mods feel free to move it, but the volume of cars that travel on the south Rd connector and Port River expressway between the Port area and Salis/Eliz is enormous, yet there is no bus service of any shape or form that connects the north to the Port. Surely a bus from Mawson Interchange to Port Adelaide via Dry Creek (ie Cormac Rd) and Ottoway would cater for the odd worker in the thousands of industrial workplaces in that corridor
Good point and I agree 100% I mean you could even use rail again going through the suburbs you metioned. But that system was dumped 23 years ago. I know at least two blokes that could use it now and save juice for their car, save the environment and be able to drink a few on the way home!

Bus, Train or flying boat. For factory workers, routes need to get cranking by 4am in the morning to make any good use of it.

Ray.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#308 Post by Hooligan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:15 pm

RayRichards wrote:
jk1237 wrote:sorry to change subject and mods feel free to move it, but the volume of cars that travel on the south Rd connector and Port River expressway between the Port area and Salis/Eliz is enormous, yet there is no bus service of any shape or form that connects the north to the Port. Surely a bus from Mawson Interchange to Port Adelaide via Dry Creek (ie Cormac Rd) and Ottoway would cater for the odd worker in the thousands of industrial workplaces in that corridor
Good point and I agree 100% I mean you could even use rail again going through the suburbs you metioned. But that system was dumped 23 years ago. I know at least two blokes that could use it now and save juice for their car, save the environment and be able to drink a few on the way home!

Bus, Train or flying boat. For factory workers, routes need to get cranking by 4am in the morning to make any good use of it.

Ray.
YES!!!!!! finally someone on this forum understands not everyone is a Desk Jockey. I don't use PT because it doesn't exist when i go to work.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#309 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Hooligan wrote:YES!!!!!! finally someone on this forum understands not everyone is a Desk Jockey. I don't use PT because it doesn't exist when i go to work.
Hools, I think most people on here understand that. It's just the nature of the beast that high patronage routes get first look in. We're already seeing more crosstown bus routes being introduced.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#310 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 am

Hooligan wrote:
RayRichards wrote:

Ray.
YES!!!!!! finally someone on this forum understands not everyone is a Desk Jockey. I don't use PT because it doesn't exist when i go to work.
I live and work in that exact corridor that jk mentions above and i woudl use PT if it was convenient enough..

Anyway back on topic, there have been some heavy drilling and or excavation works happening on the Eastern side of the South Road overpass over the PREXY this week, with the number of workers onsite appearing to be ramping up.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

rhino

#311 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:58 am

bm7500 wrote: there have been some heavy drilling and or excavation works happening on the Eastern side of the South Road overpass over the PREXY this week, with the number of workers onsite appearing to be ramping up.
Perhaps this needs to go into the South Road Upgrade thread, or maybe it's time we had a South Road Superway thread, relating specifically to that project?
cheers,
Rhino

Nort

#312 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:01 pm

bm7500 wrote: Anyway back on topic, there have been some heavy drilling and or excavation works happening on the Eastern side of the South Road overpass over the PREXY this week, with the number of workers onsite appearing to be ramping up.
Is that just exploratory works seeing how stable the ground is for the superway? The superway doesn't start construction for at least a year yet and the Northern Expressway ends at Port Wakefield road.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#313 Post by Paulns » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:57 am

The Port Wakefield Road Interchange/bridge is nearing completion, should be driving over it very soon!!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#314 Post by drsmith » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Paulns wrote:The Port Wakefield Road Interchange/bridge is nearing completion, should be driving over it very soon!!
Start your engines.

The bridge should be opening to northbound traffic today.

http://www.northernexpressway.sa.gov.au ... news#lnews

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#315 Post by russo92 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:45 pm

So the final beams were laid for the bridge today. Anyone happen to cap the Ten News story on it?