News & Discussion: Monarto Transport Hub

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.

do you agree that Monarto would be a suitable place for another airport?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 25

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Potential for new Airport at Monarto

#31 Post by Ho Really » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:47 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:Relocate RAAF edinborough base to Monarto.......and then move West Beach Adel Intl to Edinborough??...
I'm not sure how much impact Parafield would have with an international airport nearby. Since there will be a lot more planes flying in that area I would assume restrictions with flying at Parafield. Any idea?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Cruise Control wrote:Edinburgh would be a good site though as its close to me which is good so screw everyone else
Lol well it doesn't matter to me really. I don't make plans to visit an airport other than to catch a plane heheh.

Having a fast freeway in close proximity wont make matters much worse for me. If we get a north/south corridor then the trip will take much less time. And if it gets rid of those stupid height restrictions.....then I will be glad its banished out of the inner metro.

I can seriously see this happening in the next few decades as there will me a lot more pressure to get it out of the inner metro. Just like as is happening in Sydney atm.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Ho Really wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:Relocate RAAF edinborough base to Monarto.......and then move West Beach Adel Intl to Edinborough??...
I'm not sure how much impact Parafield would have with an international airport nearby. Since there will be a lot more planes flying in that area I would assume restrictions with flying at Parafield. Any idea?

Cheers
Interesting point there. Maybe the flying doctors will use parafield as it will be the closest airport to the city??

But id say that Parafield will have the restrictions put on them as Edinborough will have higher priority.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by SRW » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:33 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote: And if it gets rid of those stupid height restrictions.....then I will be glad its banished out of the inner metro.
In my opinion, the convenience of a centrally located airport trumps any inconvenience caused by height restrictions.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AtD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Especially considering the massive amounts of under-developed land in the middle of the CBD.

rhino

#36 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:31 am

SRW wrote:
In my opinion, the convenience of a centrally located airport trumps any inconvenience caused by height restrictions.

HOORAY!

I agree.
cheers,
Rhino

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by Pistol » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:18 pm

I can't believe this thread is still going...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Shuz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:41 pm

You know, height restrictions have NOTHING to do with the bloody airport! Boston has an airport closer to their CBD than Adelaide, and yet theyre getting a 1,000 foot tower (300 odd m) so really, it has nothing to do with the freaking flight path!

rhino

#39 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:51 pm

On to something more sensible -

Love the new avatar Pistol! :lol:
cheers,
Rhino

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by Pistol » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:50 am

:D Maybe we should start a 'dream thread'...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Ho Really

#41 Post by Ho Really » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:59 pm

momentkiller wrote:You know, height restrictions have NOTHING to do with the bloody airport! Boston has an airport closer to their CBD than Adelaide, and yet theyre getting a 1,000 foot tower (300 odd m) so really, it has nothing to do with the freaking flight path!
Interesting you brought this up. I know for a fact that one of their runway flightpaths crosses the harbour's shipping lane. There are restrictions on vessel heights (mostly with the later generation massive-sized cruise ships).

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#Article: Transport hub plan east of city

#42 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:07 am

From The Advertiser
Transport hub plan east of city

MATT WILLIAMS, REGIONAL EDITOR

November 19, 2007 01:15am
A MASSIVE freight transport hub with connections for air, rail and road has been earmarked for east of Adelaide.

The concept has been designed to ease pressure on metropolitan infrastructure.

A consortium of the Murray Bridge, Alexandrina and Mount Barker councils - and their respective development boards - has developed the plan to shore up the state's transport needs in the decades ahead.

An economic analysis and demand study of the proposal, which includes an airport that could be used similarly to Avalon in Victoria, will be undertaken to attract investment from the private sector.

A specific site for the hub has not been chosen. However Monarto South, because of its flat topography and proximity to the South-Eastern Freeway and Adelaide, has been cited as a strong possibility.

Rural City of Murray Bridge chief executive David Altmann said the plan made "a lot of sense" in addressing transport issues and would include a rail line to bypass freight around the metropolitan area.

"(The project) could be a decade or two away, but when the State Government has a two million population target for South Australia by 2020, there is going to be growing pressure on metropolitan Adelaide," he said.

"When there is a freeway corridor and opportunities close to Adelaide, options need to be looked at and there needs to be planning for them."

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Article: Transport hub plan east of city

#43 Post by stelaras » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 am

Sounds great!

but its 10-20 years away...If we are banking on having a 2million population by 2020 wouldnt it make sense to build this well before we reach that target??

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by bdm » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:28 am

An excellent idea considering our growth areas are going to be around Mount Barker and on the Flerieu Peninsula. This is where the bypass road / rail routes would stem from, to avoid Adelaide and connect to the roads and rails north of the city.

rhino

#45 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:04 am

I'm not at all surprised that these councils are jumping on the bandwagon, as they should, because it will be good for their area. But, would it really be good for South Australia as a whole? Would increasing rail freight travel time to Adelaide be a good thing in today's "just-in-time" freight market? Is the cost (both fiscally and in terms of the flow-on effect of this particular proposition) of creating employment in regional areas worth the downside of the deal? How will turning the Adelaide rail freight yard ito a dead-end yard accessible only from the north (meaning increased transport time to Victoria) affect industry in Adelaide that has to either receive or ship goods "just-in-time"? Such freight would probably end up on the roads, rather than the railway, or industries would have to re-locate or lay off staff. And all for what, really? So that the people who live along the South Line won't have to listen to wheel squeal? There are easier and cheaper ways to fix that problem.
cheers,
Rhino