COM: Port Stanvac Desalination Plant | 100gL | $1.8b

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Desalination plant for Adelaide

#121 Post by SRW » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 am

frank1 wrote:It is true that desal plants else where like in WA and united arab emerites were built much faster, but the reason why the SA one will take so long is because of the environmental clean up at port stanvac, which was previously used by oil companies. Over the years the soil becomes contaminated with the bi-products of oil. The government has to clean this up first otherwise they are open to law suites. I sure even if Hamilton Smith was premier, he would find the same problem with stanvac and take the same amount of time as Rann.
Not to mention the fact the Mobil still owns Port Stanvac, and has not declared its intentions for the site.
Keep Adelaide Weird

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#122 Post by frank1 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:51 am

SRW wrote:
frank1 wrote:It is true that desal plants else where like in WA and united arab emerites were built much faster, but the reason why the SA one will take so long is because of the environmental clean up at port stanvac, which was previously used by oil companies. Over the years the soil becomes contaminated with the bi-products of oil. The government has to clean this up first otherwise they are open to law suites. I sure even if Hamilton Smith was premier, he would find the same problem with stanvac and take the same amount of time as Rann.
Not to mention the fact the Mobil still owns Port Stanvac, and has not declared its intentions for the site.
LOL :lol: Didn't know that one. Thanks for the info.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#123 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:18 am

There's hundreds of acres of vacant land that is used for cropping around the perimeter of the site as a buffer zone. If it's being farmed then it's most definitely not contaminated.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#124 Post by skyliner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:53 pm

Massive amounts of floodwaters coming down from QLD. (Charleville - via the Warrego R) The Warrego empties into the Darling system. Many other smaller rivers also sending water down. We just had 64mm in 1/2 hour to give an idea.

Good for SA - hope it does'nt defer the desal plant however. (when the pressure's off) Might be too cynical here.

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Omicron

#125 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 am

skyliner wrote:Massive amounts of floodwaters coming down from QLD. (Charleville - via the Warrego R) The Warrego empties into the Darling system. Many other smaller rivers also sending water down. We just had 64mm in 1/2 hour to give an idea.

Good for SA - hope it does'nt defer the desal plant however. (when the pressure's off) Might be too cynical here.

If the current drought has taught us anything, it's that any body of fresh water can no longer be assumed to be a constant, unlimited supply. The desalination plant ought to go ahead irrespective of any potential positive changes in the Murray-Darling system in the next few years.

rhino

#126 Post by rhino » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:16 am

Water comong down the Darling flows through the Menindee Lakes system. The NSW Govt has the right to stop water there until a capacity of something like 640 gigalitres is reached. A couple of weeks ago there were 30 gigalitres in Menindee Lakes. Last week the NSW Govt announced they would let water through when something like 440 gigalitres was reached (feel free to correct me if that number is not exactly correct). I'm not sure how much water is coming down the Warrego (looked like a lot on the news!) or how many other off-takes there are before the water reraches Menindee.

Unfortunately (for us) Emerald is on the other side of the Great Divide, so that floodwater won't be heading our way!
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#127 Post by skyliner » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:36 am

Correct. Warrego water levels are very high however - will be really surprised if nothing reaches SA.

Just as a diversion. in Jan.(at Echuca) I learnt that Melbourne is connecting to Murray water via a new pipeline. Interesting to say the least concerning earlier political moves re SA, NSW and Vic. I stand to be corrected re details.

BTW - Emerald water flows west also but into the Channel Country.Easterly flow is much stronger at this lattitude and area of the Great Divide. (towards Rockhampton - the next place expecting floods)

So as Omicron says, let the Desal plant go on.

Jack.

rhino

#128 Post by rhino » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:14 pm

skyliner wrote: BTW - Emerald water flows west also but into the Channel Country.

Are you sure about that? I reckon the Nogoa River flows into the Mackenzie, then into the Fitzroy (yeah, look out Rocky!) Anyway, we're not gonna get it down here :)
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#129 Post by skyliner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:02 pm

Rhino - you're right - we're not getting anything. On ther news 23/1/08 it said the Warrego water would not get past the menindie lakes. What a pain!!

Concerning Emerald - the rains came from the north west (monsoons) and so some water would have made it west due to the rainshadow effect of altitude.

Bring on the desal plant ASAP.

Jack.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#130 Post by SRW » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:42 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 148763.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 149396.htm

Two articles related to the future of Port Stanvac, and a reminder that its status is still uncertain.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#131 Post by SRW » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 am

Update from the 'Tiser:

Mobile denies plan to reopen Port Stanvac as oil refinery

GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR
January 29, 2008 01:10pm

MOBIL has denied any knowledge of plans to re-open the mothballed Port Stanvac refinery and says no decision on its future will be made before next year.

The oil giant also says even if the refinery was recommissioned, it would not affect a planned desalination plant on the site.

The State Government, which has also denied any knowledge of reopening the refinery, has signalled Port Stanvac as the preferred site for the plant.

It has been reported interstate that the Rudd Government is exploring reopening the refinery as part of a plan to boost competition and lower petrol prices.

Assistant federal treasurer Chris Bowen, the minister with responsibility for petrol, supported the refinery plan.

"I certainly think there's a case for Port Stanvac to be operational," he said.

"I see this as a joint project between us and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission."

Before its closure, the refinery supplied about 10 per cent of Australia's petrol, and motoring groups said its closure caused a spike in SA fuel prices.

The Howard government unsuccessfully pursued the refinery reopening.

The latest proposal has been revealed as the ACCC prepares to talk tough with the major petrol companies over high fuel prices.

"I'm going to get all the relevant facts together over the next few days," ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel told ABC Television on Monday.

Mobil's government relations spokesman Alan Bailey said a final decision on the site's future did not have to be made until 2009.

"We have certainly had no discussions with the federal government about this," he said. "They have made no contact with us.

"Nor have we had any discussions with the State Government about reopening the refinery."

Mr Bailey said the refinery was a very small part of the total regional refining capacity.

"Whether it is operating or not, it would make absolutely no difference to market prices for fuel in this country," he said.

Mr Bailey said even if the refinery reopened, it would not preclude a desalination plant on the same site because "there is enough room for both".
Keep Adelaide Weird

skyliner

#132 Post by skyliner » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Last night (29/1/08) here in brisbane news they were saying the refinery would be re-opened.

Interesting to see such confusion and ignorance over the matter politically (and journalistically).As I understood the site would have to be cleaned up FIRST before the desal plant could go ahead. Being side by side suggests to me environmental issues remaining.( I had thought that Stanvac was the preferred desal site - see AG's post of 12/1/08)

I may be ignorant, but in assembling all the info I can access regarding the refinery/desal plants, a distinct poor and vague upply of info seems too consistent - coupled with a lot of positioning of the public according to political agendas (rhetoric).However, the refinery agument has credibility when put in the context of 'peak oil'

Jack.

rubberman

#133 Post by rubberman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:46 am

Of course that brings up the question of what chance there might be of an oil tanker having a spill somewhere near the inlet to the desalination plant.

Of course that never happens, does it?

Of course the planners are right on it, aren't they?

We do have planners don't we?

Humble suggestion, if we have a potable water supply source, then we should protect the catchment areas around it - a marine park of at least a few km where shipping is excluded should be the minimum requirement. (The actual extent of the marine park/exclusion zone would need to be confirmed by wind, tidal and benthic studies).

Awfully embarrassing folks if the $1,500,000,000.00 worth of your tax money got blown away because some sailor wound the wrong valve open on a tanker. Whooops!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#134 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:32 am

You have a very VERY good point here rubberman. We cannot risk that, it would have detrimental consequences for Adelaide's water supply - because I believe they plan to connect the desal plant to all the resorvoirs, you wouldnt be contaminating the water supply and environment at one location, you would be contaminating them all. I hope someone brings this to light to the politicians or planners or whoever they are.

skyliner

#135 Post by skyliner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:14 pm

I agree. This is what I was getting at in my last post when I wrote on the environmental issues.
Let's hope the planners have enough insight on this!

Jack.