COM: Port Stanvac Desalination Plant | 100gL | $1.8b

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #U/C | Port Stanvac Desalination Plant | $2 Billion Plus

#361 Post by Jim Boukas » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm

rubberman wrote:
Jim Boukas wrote:We'll all be singing kumbaya when our water rates go through the roof to pay for this white elephant.
And what will you be singing when we have our next drought?

And what were we singing during the last one when water restrictions were costing a pretty penny?

*still waiting to hear what the alternative was supposed to be*

:roll:
What will i be singing if we have a drought, not sure we'll see what happens if and when it does happen.

What I’m singing right now though when I drive down south road every night is (I've got to get out of this place if it's the last thing i ever do) because that is a problem that is happening right now so instead of fixing it (i.e. Nth/Sth Freeway) we're spending over $2 Billion on a Desal as a back up to the next drought that might happen increasing our water rates instead of fixing a problem that's here now. The whole premise of my hatred for this state is small projects that can be done during my four year tenure and no long term strategies, no 30 year plans and don't tell me we have them coz if we did we would not be having this conversation. On a list of priorities our road and transport system needs fixing ILO of a desal plant. And no i don't consider spending $800 plus million on the super way as a solution, it's just reflective of throwing some federal funds at something that was easy and would offer minimal benefit to the rest of south road. So I will keep voicing my angst on these forums until such a time that this state represents something remotely relating to forward thinking, I'm apposed to the small country town culture that we have in this state which is not political party orientated it's a state problem.

So i'm here to stay deal with it, hence the term nemesis!!!!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#362 Post by Will » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:
rubberman wrote:
Jim Boukas wrote:We'll all be singing kumbaya when our water rates go through the roof to pay for this white elephant.
And what will you be singing when we have our next drought?

And what were we singing during the last one when water restrictions were costing a pretty penny?

*still waiting to hear what the alternative was supposed to be*

:roll:
What will i be singing if we have a drought, not sure we'll see what happens if and when it does happen.

What I’m singing right now though when I drive down south road every night is (I've got to get out of this place if it's the last thing i ever do) because that is a problem that is happening right now so instead of fixing it (i.e. Nth/Sth Freeway) we're spending over $2 Billion on a Desal as a back up to the next drought that might happen increasing our water rates instead of fixing a problem that's here now. The whole premise of my hatred for this state is small projects that can be done during my four year tenure and no long term strategies, no 30 year plans and don't tell me we have them coz if we did we would not be having this conversation. On a list of priorities our road and transport system needs fixing ILO of a desal plant. And no i don't consider spending $800 plus million on the super way as a solution, it's just reflective of throwing some federal funds at something that was easy and would offer minimal benefit to the rest of south road. So I will keep voicing my angst on these forums until such a time that this state represents something remotely relating to forward thinking, I'm apposed to the small country town culture that we have in this state which is not political party orientated it's a state problem.

You have just completely contradicted yourself. You criticise the state for "not having long-term vision", yet you are against something which is being built, not because it is needed now, but because it will be needed in the future.

The desalination plant seems like "forward thinking" to me.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #U/C | Port Stanvac Desalination Plant | $1 Billion

#363 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm

[Shuz] wrote:And by the way the thread title can be changed now - found out the cost and it's completed now, as the first desal water came through on the weekend.

COM: Adelaide Desalination Plant | 100gL | $1.83b

Source;
http://www.waterforgood.sa.gov.au/desal ... ion-plant/

"The indicative cost for a 100 billion litre seawater desalination plant in Adelaide is about $1.83 billion."
SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE NOW
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#364 Post by rubberman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:

(snip)

On a list of priorities our road and transport system needs fixing ILO of a desal plant.

Oh puleeeezz. Drama queen much.

By all means say what you will, express whatever opinions you will as far as I am concerned. I guess I am trying to figure out whether or not you should be taken seriously. It is all very well to complain about stuff, and everyone who ever gets a bill for anything normally does.

I am just trying to give you a chance to demonstrate whether you are just someone who is either:

Just complaining generally without knowing what he is talking about, or
Has a genuine knowledge of something that is wrong and is pointing it out and with no constructive suggestion, or
Has a genuine knowledge of what he is talking about and has something constructive to advance.

Since SA is acknowledged by most experts as the driest state in the driest continent, your comment "... if and when it does happen..." when talking about drought tends to indicate the first alternative. I also point out that next to air, water is the second essential thing to life on this planet, so if you cannot see that securing our water future is one of the highest priorities for Government, then by all means, you nemesis away as busily as you like. But if you want to be taken seriously, then you might like to consider what you think of others when they make throwaway comments on these and other boards and then cannot come up with the hard answers when challenged. Do you read what they have to say? Or do you just roll your eyes and scroll past them? :2cents:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#365 Post by rev » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:
Are you actually of the belief that another drought is an unlikely event? Do you realize were you live, or are you just using whatever arguments suit your current shit stirring requirements? :wink:

Waewick

#366 Post by Waewick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:39 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:And by the way the thread title can be changed now - found out the cost and it's completed now, as the first desal water came through on the weekend.

COM: Adelaide Desalination Plant | 100gL | $1.83b

Source;
http://www.waterforgood.sa.gov.au/desal ... ion-plant/

"The indicative cost for a 100 billion litre seawater desalination plant in Adelaide is about $1.83 billion."
SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE NOW
Pardon.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#367 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:24 pm

WTF
$1.8 billion desal plant to be mothballed
Miles Kemp
adelaidenow
October 04, 20123:12PM

SA WATER plans to mothball the Port Stanvac desalination plant and renew Adelaide's dependence on the River Murray.

The shock announcement was made today when SA Water revealed it cannot afford the cost of producing desalinated water if it is forced to keep water prices at close to inflation in coming years.

"To keep costs down for our customers, SA Water is planning to use our lower cost water sources first, which will mean placing the desalination plant in standby mode when these cheaper sources are available," SA Water chief executive John Ringham said.

"Improved inflows into the River Murray and Mount Lofty catchments have put us in a position where we can utilise these sources first and we are anticipating the desalination plant may not need to be operated in the upcoming regulatory period (2013 to 2016) after the completion of its 24-month warranty."

SA Water has asked independent regulator, the Essential Services Commission of South Australia, to approve the plan which will mean the desalination plant, which was to supply half of Adelaide's water supply, will be put on "standby" as soon as it completes a "warranty" running period in 2015.

The cost of Murray Water is around one tenth of desalinated water.

Mr Ringham said the mothballing would last until at least June 2016, but there is no commitment from SA Water about when or if the plant will be used.

When matching a Liberal Party policy to build the desalination plant in 2006, at a cost of $1.8 billion, the State Government said it was essential to stop Adelaide's dependence on the then drought-stricken Murray.

But flooding rains in NSW, Victoria and Queensland have since temporarily returned the river system to health, despite long-term over-allocation of water.

Nort

#368 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Makes sense if there is enough spare water in the Murray system. Good to have the capability for creating fresh water there though if we need it.

metro
Legendary Member!

#369 Post by metro » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 pm

$2b well spent, at least Adelaide will have water for the next drought. It certainly does make sense to shut it down and save power and money while there is plenty of fresh water in the reservoirs and rivers. But I can see the SA Libs trying to capitalise on this. :roll:

Nort

#370 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm

metro wrote:$2b well spent, at least Adelaide will have water for the next drought. It certainly does make sense to shut it down and save power and money while there is plenty of fresh water in the reservoirs and rivers. But I can see the SA Libs trying to capitalise on this. :roll:
I agree, which is absurd considering both parties agreed the plant was necessary.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#371 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 pm

You can understand why people would be pissed off after hearing this news. Water bills are just ridiculous now.

Another reason why Labor has no chance at the next State Election.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#372 Post by Will » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:57 pm

crawf wrote:You can understand why people would be pissed off after hearing this news. Water bills are just ridiculous now.

Which in a way is sad, considering the liberals have no policies.

They will win the next electione simply on the 'its time' factor.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#373 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 am

The upstream states will have a field day. Our govt is threatening legal action against the MDBA because the lower lakes are important, but this appears like we're preaching but not practising.

Adelaide (suburbia) used an average of 50gl of Murray River water a year for the last several years (source) and the desal plant is designed to produce 100gl a year. In fact the desal plant design was expanded from 50 to 100GL with much fan fare.

sigh.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]

#374 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:45 am

crawf wrote:You can understand why people would be pissed off after hearing this news. Water bills are just ridiculous now.

Funnily, SA Water claim that the silver lining is that water bills will actually drop by an average $100 a year because of this decision.

Anyone want to bet this won't be the case? Easy money to be made!

The Liberals are just as bad as, if not worse than Labor if they critique it. The fact is, it appears as it would have happened either way, and I have very little, if none, tolerance for hypocrisy. I'd like to think everyday voters would see this too, irrespective of the "it's time" factor.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#375 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:43 am

[Shuz] wrote:

Funnily, SA Water claim that the silver lining is that water bills will actually drop by an average $100 a year because of this decision.

Anyone want to bet this won't be the case? Easy money to be made!

The Liberals are just as bad as, if not worse than Labor if they critique it. The fact is, it appears as it would have happened either way, and I have very little, if none, tolerance for hypocrisy. I'd like to think everyday voters would see this too, irrespective of the "it's time" factor.
You are far more optimistic than I, good sir.