COM: Port Stanvac Desalination Plant | 100gL | $1.8b

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Desalination plant for Adelaide

#211 Post by Wayno » Wed May 13, 2009 8:03 pm

animated fly-through of the desal plant. Apparently 1980's frizzy hair guiter riffs suit the outside design of the building, with 90's bass electropop for the mood inside...
http://player.video.news.com.au/adelaid ... _OdUIiVjiC
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#212 Post by mattblack » Wed May 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Wayno wrote:animated fly-through of the desal plant. Apparently 1980's frizzy hair guiter riffs suit the outside design of the building, with 90's bass electropop for the mood inside...
http://player.video.news.com.au/adelaid ... _OdUIiVjiC

SLASH would be proud !! :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#213 Post by Cruise » Thu May 14, 2009 3:33 pm

So if water is so special, why does the price of it change depending on what your house is valued for?

Is it harder to pump water to more expensive houses?

Mr.Frodo
Donating Member
Donating Member

#214 Post by Mr.Frodo » Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 am

It is the SEWER component that is based on the capital valution of your property. Water is simply charged by a supply fee, and then a per KL usage fee, which has tiers so you pay more if you are a big user. If you aren't connected to SA Water Sewer (I'm an example) you don't pay the SEWER fee. This is different to how the the water works - as even if you have a mains pipe going past your property, you have to pay for the water supply charge, even if you don't even have it connected!!!!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#215 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Big pipe through the eastern suburbs is off the agenda now. Election-time is nearing.
Water expert backs changed pipeline plan
29 July 2009, ABC News Online

A plan has been scrapped to build a large pipeline connecting Adelaide's northern and southern reservoirs.

South Australia's Water Minister Karlene Maywald says it has been decided to look at a series of smaller pipes and booster stations and make better use of existing infrastructure.

SA Water had been planning to construct a large diameter pipe between Happy Valley in the south and Hope Valley in the north, in part to transfer water from the new desalination plant.

The minister says the change of plan will mean less community disruption.

A water expert says the Government is right to have scrapped the plan to build a large pipeline.

Professor Mike Young from Adelaide University is pleased that alternatives for transfer of water are being looked at.

"I note that the detailed work still has to be done but I think it's exciting that South Australia is embracing the smart, small-scale things, rather than the big brutal things," he said.

"Small is often better and smarter.

"If South Australia's going to become a world leader in water management it's got to be seen to be able to improve its strategies continuously and even change its plans mid-stream."

Ms Maywald says the revised plan will be completed by the time the desalination plant is on line at end of 2012.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#216 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54 pm

i noticed some work happening just south of the Happy Valley reservoir on south rd. See pikkie below - the area highlighted in RED has had the pine trees removed (there were very tall piles of woodchips on site), and i saw some large diameter pipes being delivered. All presumably for the desal plant - anyone know for sure what's going on here?
happy-valley.JPG
happy-valley.JPG (94.12 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
Is should be possible to place a large diameter pipeline all the way from Pt Stanvac to Darlington without bothering too many residents...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#217 Post by mattblack » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Much of that pipe has already been laid. Massive amounts of work along Lonsdale rd laying a very large diametre pipe. Had to travel down there the other day and went through 5 different speed restrictions from Ocean blv (25,30,40,50 and 60kph zones). A bit crazy.

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#218 Post by deano91 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:00 am

Yeah, I drive along Lonsdale Road every day and it's absolutely rediculous the amount of roadworks along there!! It's very impressive how much machinery they are using, usually you might see one or two machines on a site, but at the two main sites there are 7 or 8 big diggers and trucks and stuff, quite amazing! Mum drove through there too the other day for the first time in ages and she was quite amazed too, it's quite a large project.

Very interesting how many electronic signs they are using too, there is one on Black Road, one on Majors road, three at the first site on Lonsdale Road, two at the third site on Lonsdale Road, and I'm sure there would be at least one on the way up the hill on Lonsdale Road before you reach Majors Road.. They are even using electronic signage to tell you which lanes are open.

Here is what motorists are faced with, easily adds about 5 minutes to your journey if you take that road:

For refernce, the actual limit along there is 80km/h, and in the second picture it is 100km/h

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#219 Post by fabricator » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:20 am

Wayno wrote:i noticed some work happening just south of the Happy Valley reservoir on south rd. See pikkie below - the area highlighted in RED has had the pine trees removed (there were very tall piles of woodchips on site), and i saw some large diameter pipes being delivered. All presumably for the desal plant - anyone know for sure what's going on here?
There is one big pipeline that passes under Black Road, but there is also a second big pipe that appears further north to the west of South Road. At some point there must be a suitable junction to tap into both mains. So my guess is that red area is it.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#220 Post by victorious80 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:46 am

fabricator wrote:
Wayno wrote:i noticed some work happening just south of the Happy Valley reservoir on south rd. See pikkie below - the area highlighted in RED has had the pine trees removed (there were very tall piles of woodchips on site), and i saw some large diameter pipes being delivered. All presumably for the desal plant - anyone know for sure what's going on here?
There is one big pipeline that passes under Black Road, but there is also a second big pipe that appears further north to the west of South Road. At some point there must be a suitable junction to tap into both mains. So my guess is that red area is it.

There is some good info available on SA Water's website at http://www.sawater.com.au/SAWater/Whats ... ctInfo.htm.

The transfer pipeline (the one they are constructing on Lonsdale rd) runs from the desal plant at Pt Stanvac to the existing Happy Valley reservoir. the area you have indicated in red on the corner of Black rd and South rd is the location for a break pressure tank, from where the water will flow via gravity to the reservoir interface.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#221 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:16 am

victorious80 wrote:There is some good info available on SA Water's website at http://www.sawater.com.au/SAWater/Whats ... ctInfo.htm.

The transfer pipeline (the one they are constructing on Lonsdale rd) runs from the desal plant at Pt Stanvac to the existing Happy Valley reservoir. the area you have indicated in red on the corner of Black rd and South rd is the location for a break pressure tank, from where the water will flow via gravity to the reservoir interface.
thanks victorious80, the sawater.com.au site shows the route from pt stanvac to happy valley (below for everyone's viewing pleasure), but does not show the remainder of the route - probably due to political reasons - yes?
desal-pipe-route-happy-valley.JPG
desal-pipe-route-happy-valley.JPG (48.38 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#222 Post by Aidan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:36 am

Wayno wrote:thanks victorious80, the sawater.com.au site shows the route from pt stanvac to happy valley (below for everyone's viewing pleasure), but does not show the remainder of the route - probably due to political reasons - yes?
No, it's because the rest of the route's already there.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#223 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

Aidan wrote:No, it's because the rest of the route's already there.
really? do tell. I thought there was the need for a new 'large' pipeline? i've obviously missed something here...

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by fabricator » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:40 pm

I can't believe that is the official map, did they use Microsoft Paint ?

Any ideas what this break tank will be ?
I found a picture of a big one on this site http://www.cwftx.net/index.aspx?NID=932 which looks a lot like the standard SA Water concrete water tanks.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#225 Post by Aidan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:57 pm

Wayno wrote:
Aidan wrote:No, it's because the rest of the route's already there.
really? do tell. I thought there was the need for a new 'large' pipeline? i've obviously missed something here...
Yes you have: the idea's been scrapped, and SRW posted the news report here yesterday.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.