News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New Retail in the CBD

#706 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 am

crawf wrote:
Plasmatron wrote:Did anyone else notice that the yd shop in Rundle Mall was recently renovated? It's had a glitzy, sleek Hollywood-esque makeover... I don't quite know what to make of it.
Hopefully they have added mirrors in the change rooms, it was annoying the mirror was between the change rooms.
Pretty sure the mirrors in the middle were designed as a sales tactic, because it forces you to confront the salespeople again who brainwash customers into thinking they look good, whether or not they actually do. I hate it, but from a business perspective it's pretty clever, because there ate enough stupid people out there who do fall for it.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#707 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Just testing my a photobucket account

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#708 Post by jk1237 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:41 pm

looks quite a smart fit out. Much improvement on Colorado

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#709 Post by AtD » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Would have to see it in person, but I'm not a fan of that awning.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#710 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Looks alright, I'm still yet to see it in person
[Shuz] wrote:
crawf wrote:
Plasmatron wrote:Did anyone else notice that the yd shop in Rundle Mall was recently renovated? It's had a glitzy, sleek Hollywood-esque makeover... I don't quite know what to make of it.
Hopefully they have added mirrors in the change rooms, it was annoying the mirror was between the change rooms.
Pretty sure the mirrors in the middle were designed as a sales tactic, because it forces you to confront the salespeople again who brainwash customers into thinking they look good, whether or not they actually do. I hate it, but from a business perspective it's pretty clever, because there ate enough stupid people out there who do fall for it.
I'm sure it is a sales tactic, but it's why most of the time I avoid the city store and go to the suburbs.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

New Retail in the CBD

#711 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 am

I'm told nespresso is opening this friday. Can anyone confirm?

Waewick

#712 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 pm

yep, notice on the window says it will be open tomorrow (9am I believe)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#713 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Nice.. thanks for that. Hopefully they'll have some specials :)

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#714 Post by AdelaideAlive » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Waewick wrote:yep, notice on the window says it will be open tomorrow (9am I believe)
im gathering you meant '"noticed"as i have squinted very hard and still cant read it from that pic :lol:

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#715 Post by AdelaideAlive » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:07 pm

haha and now i have re read it and you meant ""notice":"" as in a piece of paper lol :cheers: igotta stop smoking the hoochie coochie after a day at work lol haha kiddingbit of humour never goes astray on this forum :banana:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

New Retail in the CBD

#716 Post by Howie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 am

Okay the rumours of Apple opening in the mall appear to be true.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/business/ ... 6318957836
Apple discussing lease in new Rundle Mallby: Sarah Danckert

GLOBAL technology powerhouse Apple is set to take a spot in Adelaide's Rundle Mall in a move agent sources say will be a coup for the city's retail sector.
It is understood Apple is in discussions to lease space in Rundle Place, a new development in the mall that is scheduled to be completed at the end of next year.

Apple has been on the hunt for space in the tech-savvy city for some time, sources said, and Rundle Place represented the best option for the technology firm to open a store.

Rundle Place, an 85-store $385 million shopping centre under construction, is being developed by rich list scion Sam Alter of Pacific Group. Mr Alter's father Maurice's wealth is estimated at $1.33 billion.

Apple's retail stores also include a "genius bar" where owners of Apple products can have on-the-spot service or repairs. Customers drawn in for repairs, which can take between 15 minutes to an hour or two, generate significant foot traffic for shopping centres where they are located.

Apple has more than 300 official outlets around the world. The $550bn-strong Apple has plans to expand its network after last year surpassing Exxon as the world's largest listed company by market capitalisation. The Adelaide store will bring Apple's Australian retail presence to 14 stores.

Rundle Place project leasing manager Ilona Rose declined to comment.

Apple's flagship store, a stand-alone shop on George Street in Sydney, is enormous, covering three separate levels. However, most of the NASDAQ-listed company's stores are in the 1,000sq m to 1500sq m range.

Other shopping centres in NSW with Apple stores include Bondi, Penrith, Hornsby, Castle Towers, Charlestown Square and Chatswood Chase.

In Melbourne, Apple has outlets at shopping centres in Chadstone, Doncaster and Southland.

Chermside and Robina in Queensland mark Apple's Queensland presence, while Perth City shopping centre, recently acquired by ISPT, has the city's only Apple outlet.

"I'd dare say there's room for more Apple stores across Australia, but the thing is they drive a very hard bargain on rents and have particular space requirement," one agent said.

In further good news for Adelaide's rejuvenated city centre, Spanish fashion outlet Zara is said to be looking for space for a second store, this time in the CBD.

Speculation is mounting that Zara might ditch its store in Burnside shopping centre, about 5km east of Adelaide's CBD, to take up space at Rundle Place. It is understood that Zara had an option in its lease to exit Burnside if the centre's turnover did not meet expectations.

In Victoria, Colonial First State Global Asset Management regional development manager for Victoria Paul Donoghue confirmed that Zara was set to open a store in the old Espirit space in Chadstone shopping centre.

Rumours also abound that Zara will take space in the extension of Westfield Doncaster.

Meanwhile, it is understood that Apple is still hunting for an appropriate-sized stand-alone retail store in the heart of Melbourne's CBD.

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#717 Post by Burger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Small correction to the article is that the Bondi store is not in a shopping centre - it's adjacent to Westfield Bondi, on land not owned by Westfield. Either way, it's a fantastic store, with 7m ceilings at the back and indoor trees with seating for the Apple fans to sit and test out the newest of everything.

hope this works...

source of info
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#718 Post by source of info » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 pm

great news about the apple store. Finally Adelaide gets one. Rundle place is looking to be a great retail complex. As for Zara, it only makes sense that they open in the city, it is still beyond me that they opened all their first flagship stores interstate in their busiest malls, yet when opening in adelaide, they open in a very small complex only busy on weekends. For a brand like zara and its price point, it is more suited in CBD loactions where tourists/ workers can access it easier. I have heard that they will close their burnside store once the city store opens..... big space to fill for the cohen group. any news on whos opening in the borders site? It will be interesteing to see what rundle mall retailers will re-locate into rundle place... id put my house on it that half of the decent myer centre retailers will jump over. Aquila has confirmed this. Politix closed its doors Monday to re-locate into Myer. will try find out whos moving into that notorious space. 2 retailers in 3 years. not good.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#719 Post by rev » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 am

Politix closed its doors Monday to re-locate into Myer.
Huh?
They are in the Myer Center already..and they are moving into Myer?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#720 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 am

I would say it would be a concession store within Myer. Heaps of retailers do it.