[COM] COM/CAN: Aurora on Pirie | 54/57m | 14/15lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#16 Post by UrbanSG » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:59 am

Wow! This is getting a bit out of control. Starting to remind me of the 80's boom. We have a heap of commercial towers proposed now with only 2 currently under construction. These towers on Pirie will be great in this position. Sounds like a quality development too. It will be interesting to see which proposed towers go ahead over the next few years. If most go ahead I would say Adelaide is definately in a boom phase equal to the 80's.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#17 Post by Howie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 am

To quote what Jane Lomax-Smith once said to a news reporter, this is a better boom than the 80's as it is a more sustainable boom. Hopefully this will be more than a decade long love affair with construction, especially with mining really coming into play by 2013.

Brilliant stuff, I really wonder what's next :o

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#18 Post by Howie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:12 am

Have a look at the site here ... thanks to Adelaide Georama :)

http://www.georama.com.au/adelaide/12_5 ... hPirie.htm

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#19 Post by UrbanSG » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am

Yeah well I don't really care for what Jane Lomax-Smith says :D It may be sustainable right now but all booms end, often in a fairly bad bust. We will see I suppose. Forecasting the future is too difficult, who knows what will happen. Seeing a tower go up with only 30% pre-commitment reminds me a lot of the 80's, although a lot went up with none as well. I think a few companies are holding back right now and soon we will see some agreements. We seem to be getting a lot of proposals but no agreements right now.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#20 Post by Bulldozer » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:17 am

Awesome. Will be a dramatic improvement on what currently stands on the site. They should combine both buildings into one though... Adelaide needs taller buildings.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#21 Post by Will » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:16 pm

There has been almost, if not $1 billion worth of invesments anounced for SA during the past few days. This is amazing confidence being shown in the state. And to think the mining boom has not yey begun!

Hopefully these developments open up the eyes of the people to abandon their State Bank negativity.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#22 Post by Pikey » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm a tad concerned. With the Yorke Campus, Currie St and now this, there is 135,000m2+ coming onto the market in one hit. Surely that's too much considering CC2, and VS1 are under construction and the office space at Conservatory on Hindmarsh is up for grabs.

Still, looks like a nice development, and adds some great height to the area.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#23 Post by UrbanSG » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:45 pm

Agreed Pikey. That doesn't even include Franklin Street, CC3, old Repco site, Planet site and Coglin Street (mixed use) office buildings that are all proposed. That would all be well in excess of 200,000 square metres of proposed office space. There is no way they will all get built. It is now a matter of which ones go ahead.

Really want to see a render of Currie Street as I am sure everyone does so I can decide if I like it or not :D This Pirie proposal is of a substantial height for this area too. 15 stories is decent in Adelaide. I would much rather see this go one ahead than Yorke Campus. Yorke's position really gets me, it is just that bit too far from the main commercial streets. Way too much space on offer there too. Maybe a few decades away but we should fill the true core CBD first like this proposal does and possibly Currie Street.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#24 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Yeah I'm starting to getting a bit worried, nice development tho as it will bulk up the skyline and fill that hole up on Hindmarsh Sq.

Hope Yorke Campus never see's the light of day.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#25 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:07 pm

If you go to the CBD, with the Grote Street upgrade, tram extension and whatnot, our city is basically one huge construction zone.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#26 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:06 pm

Another glass box... zzzzz.

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#27 Post by Snorkie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:47 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Agreed Pikey. That doesn't even include Franklin Street, CC3, old Repco site, Planet site and Coglin Street (mixed use) office buildings that are all proposed. That would all be well in excess of 200,000 square metres of proposed office space. There is no way they will all get built. It is now a matter of which ones go ahead.

Really want to see a render of Currie Street as I am sure everyone does so I can decide if I like it or not :D This Pirie proposal is of a substantial height for this area too. 15 stories is decent in Adelaide. I would much rather see this go one ahead than Yorke Campus. Yorke's position really gets me, it is just that bit too far from the main commercial streets. Way too much space on offer there too. Maybe a few decades away but we should fill the true core CBD first like this proposal does and possibly Currie Street.
Actually after doing some quick, rough estimates (so dont quote me) there is now around 270-280,000sqm of office space proposed. Even the most optomistic Adelaidian would find that much supply for so much office space a little excessive. However I have figured that DTEI, SAPOL and highly likely that BHP will all move soon (which is close enough to 100000sqm). Assuming Yorke does not go ahead, our supply is down to 200,000sqm, with 100 being taken by these 3 projects. I think the other 100 could be filled for now, but i think the market will struggle to fill the space created by Yorke, unless at the expense of almost 3 projects like this. So yeah, while it looks great, i would like to see Yorke put on hold for a while, till the market is ready to soak up that much supply. My 2c...

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#28 Post by JAKJ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Snorkie wrote:
UrbanSG wrote:Agreed Pikey. That doesn't even include Franklin Street, CC3, old Repco site, Planet site and Coglin Street (mixed use) office buildings that are all proposed. That would all be well in excess of 200,000 square metres of proposed office space. There is no way they will all get built. It is now a matter of which ones go ahead.

Actually after doing some quick, rough estimates (so dont quote me) there is now around 270-280,000sqm of office space proposed. Even the most optomistic Adelaidian would find that much supply for so much office space a little excessive. However I have figured that DTEI, SAPOL and highly likely that BHP will all move soon (which is close enough to 100000sqm). Assuming Yorke does not go ahead, our supply is down to 200,000sqm, with 100 being taken by these 3 projects. I think the other 100 could be filled for now, but i think the market will struggle to fill the space created by Yorke, unless at the expense of almost 3 projects like this. So yeah, while it looks great, i would like to see Yorke put on hold for a while, till the market is ready to soak up that much supply. My 2c...
Does the yorke office space figure include the new mitsubishie show room + service centre there? that would take up a hell of a lot of space....

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#29 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:46 am

I dont understand..... the big new 123m tower offers 30,000 sqm of office space at a cost of around 100 million the 2 pirie street towers offer 31,000 sqm (with both buildings around 50m tall) at a cost of near 210 million. Now im not an expert on towers but why does that sound so much dearer, wouldnt it be better to build one tower around 100m in height and then we would have something to be proud of. So can someone please explain the cost of this devlopment to me? thanks.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#30 Post by Pikey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 am

Don't take the $ figures as gospel. They are always inaccurate.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |