[CAN] 20-22 Currie St | 123m | 31lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#91 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:13 pm

I am still in shock over this one. I can't get over the glass elevators visible from outside, imagine going up 31 floors in one of those. I am guessing they are on the northern elevation. What an impact that would make from the traditional views of the city. Also 40m long, that's fairly wide. This building is something I would expect to see proposed overseas not here in Adelaide. Finally a developer has some balls in Adelaide. I would be worried as hell if I owned one of the older grade buildings with all these new proposals comming on line in Adelaide.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#92 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Here is a scan from the picture in the paper from page 3 today. Nearly a whole page devoted to this image. The paper image was much clearer. Hard for me to scan a good image from the paper but it gives an idea of the best render I have seen so far:

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#93 Post by Brando » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:53 pm

BRAVO.........BOUT FUCK"N TIME....!

I'm only going to repeat everyone else's sentiments. This is a briliiant, inspiring, visionary and iconic building that many will be proud and envious of...

I love it. As Crawf rightfully said, i hope many recent 'box' like proposals go back to the drawing board and come back with designs this state deserves.

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#94 Post by alfer7_3 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:56 pm

this is a brilliant building for adelaide, i pretty much agree with everything everyone elso has said, this has to be built it will lift the bar for quality design in adelaide.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#95 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:03 pm

Hopefully this is just the beginning.

If we could have 4 or 5 interesting buildings like this popping up, it would make a massive improvement to our skyline.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#96 Post by AG » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:14 pm

Interesting design, looks outstanding, reminds me of Aurora Place in Sydney (which was designed by architect Renzo Piano). I wonder how the structural support system for the overhanging cantilevered section will work.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#97 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:14 pm

Just had a look at a few shots of our current skyline. And god this proposal makes most of the CBD look drab and outdated.

Its just so great to see people from SA, interstate and overseas applauding Adelaide on SSC for a high rise building - I still think I'm dreaming
:lol:

AG, That is a very good question

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#98 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:56 pm

I thought of Aurora Place when I saw it, too.
Stunning building.

bva
High Rise Poster!

[CAN]

#99 Post by bva » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:44 pm

i am very impressed, competes with some of buildings here in london..
i just cast my vote - 735 votes already with 90% in favour
with good town planners on board this developer looks very professional - i hope a 'key' tennant is found

Mants
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#100 Post by Mants » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:38 pm

bva wrote:i am very impressed, competes with some of buildings here in london..
im glad you brought the point of London up actually. in today's paper it had one of those "what do you think about this" interviews with random Adelaide residents. one man said that Adelaide has so many heritage buildings and this can go back to the trash can where it belongs. when i read this i immediately thought of London and how it is a blend of both wonderful heritage sites and also modern and innovative buildings. London's been around for a lot longer than Adelaide. the argument of Adelaide's heritage doesnt seem as valid to me anymore.

another question. if the elevators are to be on the exterior of the building, does this mean that this one will go up without a core box? (presuming that there is only one set of elevators)

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#101 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:55 pm

Mants wrote:
im glad you brought the point of London up actually. in today's paper it had one of those "what do you think about this" interviews with random Adelaide residents. one man said that Adelaide has so many heritage buildings and this can go back to the trash can where it belongs.
I'd hardly call Arturo Taverna a heritage building.
It's always the retirees that insist on stifling progress here.

Sorry Gramps, but Adelaide is a capital city - not a museum to preserve your memories from decades past.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#102 Post by AtD » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:13 pm

I disappear for a week and this happens! I should go away more often.

tambi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[CAN]

#103 Post by tambi » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:45 pm

crawf wrote:Just had a look at a few shots of our current skyline. And god this proposal makes most of the CBD look drab and outdated.
Because most of it is :wink: Tectus really are getting a lot of significant projects now and rightly so, good on them for pushing Adelaide's conservative design sensibility.
As for the discussion regarding London, I find it amusing when people such as the bloke in the paper talk of Adelaide's heritage and the need to preserve it. For God's sake we're hardly 200 years old and if the relatively ancient cities in Europe can integrate the old architecture with new and relevant designs I don't see why we can't either. They've had to work within city plans executed by people of infinately greater historical importance than Colonel Light. I mention this as history it seems is their only concern.
This is a sweet website and forum by the way, wish I'd found it earlier.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#104 Post by Matt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:57 pm

I think it's hilarious that he's even mentioning the word 'heritage' when it comes to that building.

I'm glad it's being demolished.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#105 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Mants wrote:
im glad you brought the point of London up actually. in today's paper it had one of those "what do you think about this" interviews with random Adelaide residents. one man said that Adelaide has so many heritage buildings and this can go back to the trash can where it belongs. when i read this i immediately thought of London and how it is a blend of both wonderful heritage sites and also modern and innovative buildings. London's been around for a lot longer than Adelaide. the argument of Adelaide's heritage doesnt seem as valid to me anymore.
I saw that comment too and laughed. If that guy was trying to regard the Arturo Taverna as a heritage building he must have rocks in his head, I would hardly call that building heritage compared to some of the beautiful heritage buildings here in Adelaide.

Also on the heritage comment, while we have lost some beauties in past but Adelaide has kept many heritage buildings (which is a different story in Perth and other cities)