Cher puts key to the City of Adelaide on eBay

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Cher puts key to the City of Adelaide on eBay

#16 Post by rev » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Who cares what she is doing.
Shit like this shouldn't even rate a mention.
Firstly because it's someone as crap and useless as Cher, and secondly, well who gives a fark?

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Aidan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 am

Why was Cher given the key in the first place? IIRC her performance at the after race concert was universally regarded as substandard!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

mokeystyley
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by mokeystyley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 pm

From In Daily today:
Lances key gathers dust in Texas

Kevin Naughton

LANCE Armstrong’s Key to the City of Adelaide is sitting in the office of the Mayor of Austin, in Texas, still yet to be handed over some 16 months after the City Council approved the honour.

ACC decided to post them over to Austin after a mix-up earlier this year when Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood’s plan to personally hand them to the cycling legend went awry because Armstrong was in Mexico when Yarwood was in Austin.

“Lance’s Key to the City of Adelaide is with Mayor Leffingwell’s office in Austin,” a council spokeswoman told Indaily.

“Austin has proposed handing the key to Lance at a presentation, details of which are yet to be confirmed.”

The delay is the latest chapter in a saga of hits and misses that have dogged the ceremonial honour since 1990 when then-Lord Mayor Steve Condous presented the first Key to singer and entertainer Cher.

Cher’s Key sold on eBay for around $90,000 this week.

“When Steve (Condous) decided to give Cher a Key, it hadn’t been approved,” long-serving councillor Anne Moran told Indaily.

“At the time, there was no system in place and as I understand it, Steve just did it off his own back.

“As a result of a subsequent motion by Cr Mark Hamilton, the council decided on a set of conditions for such things and the need for a vote of approval.

“That’s why the honour board in the Town Hall shows the 33 recipients as all being after the 1990 presentation to Cher.”

And some of those have been controversial.

“We approved one for Barry Humphries and he left before Michael Harbison could present it, so we had to post them to Humphries,” Moran said.

“There was a rugby team that we approved, but they lost their match – I’m not sure what it was – so that didn’t eventuate.

“There was also a motion to give one to Makybe Diva (three-time Melbourne Cup winner), but that was knocked back.

“The horse had never even set foot (or hoof) in South Australia"

Makybe Diva is owned by Port Lincoln fishing baron Tony Santic.

The council decided to present the gift to Armstrong after last year’s Tour Down Under in recognition of his promotion of the race.

Mr Yarwood had been overseas on a family holiday in the US city of Denver when took a quick diversion to Austin and New York on council business, including the presentation of a Key.

Approved recipients of the Key

1991 Governor Michael Dukakis, the longest serving governor of Massachusetts; and Captain Anthony Stury

1992 Cricketer David Hookes; His all Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama; and The Salvation Army

1993 Tennis player John Fitzgerald

1994 Reverend Ivor Bailey

1995 Archbishop Stylianos

1996 Tennis player Mark Woodforde; the SA Sheffield Shield Cricket Team; the Adelaide Girls Choir; NASA astronaut Andrew S.W. Thomas; His All Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch Vartholmeos I; and State Governor Dame Roma Mitchell AC DBE

1997 HMAS Adelaide; Maritime Patrol Group RAAF Edinburgh; and AFL premiers Adelaide Football Club “The Crows”

1998 Adelaide “Lightning” Women’s Basketball Team; Adelaide “36’ers” Men’s Basketball Team; Band of the South Australia Police; and Adelaide “Thunderbirds” Netball Team

1999 Cyclist Stuart O’Grady

2001 Tennis player Lleyton Hewitt; and orchestra conductor Dr Jeffrey Tate

2003 Crows captain Mark Ricciuto; and entertainer Barry Humphries

2004 Nobel Prize winner for literature John Coetzee; Port Power Football Club; and newspaper proprietor Rupert Murdoch

2006 Trauma surgeon Dr Bill Griggs AM

2008 Adelaide United Football Club

2010 Cheong Yew Liew OAM

2011 Lance Armstrong
This is a freaking farce!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Ben » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:40 pm

As a key holder what would the benefits be?

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by mutt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:26 am

mokeystyley wrote:From In Daily today:
Lances key gathers dust in Texas

Kevin Naughton

LANCE Armstrong’s Key to the City of Adelaide is sitting in the office of the Mayor of Austin, in Texas, still yet to be handed over some 16 months after the City Council approved the honour.

ACC decided to post them over to Austin after a mix-up earlier this year when Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood’s plan to personally hand them to the cycling legend went awry because Armstrong was in Mexico when Yarwood was in Austin.

“Lance’s Key to the City of Adelaide is with Mayor Leffingwell’s office in Austin,” a council spokeswoman told Indaily.

“Austin has proposed handing the key to Lance at a presentation, details of which are yet to be confirmed.”

The delay is the latest chapter in a saga of hits and misses that have dogged the ceremonial honour since 1990 when then-Lord Mayor Steve Condous presented the first Key to singer and entertainer Cher.

Cher’s Key sold on eBay for around $90,000 this week.

“When Steve (Condous) decided to give Cher a Key, it hadn’t been approved,” long-serving councillor Anne Moran told Indaily.

“At the time, there was no system in place and as I understand it, Steve just did it off his own back.

“As a result of a subsequent motion by Cr Mark Hamilton, the council decided on a set of conditions for such things and the need for a vote of approval.

“That’s why the honour board in the Town Hall shows the 33 recipients as all being after the 1990 presentation to Cher.”

And some of those have been controversial.

“We approved one for Barry Humphries and he left before Michael Harbison could present it, so we had to post them to Humphries,” Moran said.

“There was a rugby team that we approved, but they lost their match – I’m not sure what it was – so that didn’t eventuate.

“There was also a motion to give one to Makybe Diva (three-time Melbourne Cup winner), but that was knocked back.

“The horse had never even set foot (or hoof) in South Australia"

Makybe Diva is owned by Port Lincoln fishing baron Tony Santic.

The council decided to present the gift to Armstrong after last year’s Tour Down Under in recognition of his promotion of the race.

Mr Yarwood had been overseas on a family holiday in the US city of Denver when took a quick diversion to Austin and New York on council business, including the presentation of a Key.

Approved recipients of the Key

1991 Governor Michael Dukakis, the longest serving governor of Massachusetts; and Captain Anthony Stury

1992 Cricketer David Hookes; His all Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama; and The Salvation Army

1993 Tennis player John Fitzgerald

1994 Reverend Ivor Bailey

1995 Archbishop Stylianos

1996 Tennis player Mark Woodforde; the SA Sheffield Shield Cricket Team; the Adelaide Girls Choir; NASA astronaut Andrew S.W. Thomas; His All Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch Vartholmeos I; and State Governor Dame Roma Mitchell AC DBE

1997 HMAS Adelaide; Maritime Patrol Group RAAF Edinburgh; and AFL premiers Adelaide Football Club “The Crows”

1998 Adelaide “Lightning” Women’s Basketball Team; Adelaide “36’ers” Men’s Basketball Team; Band of the South Australia Police; and Adelaide “Thunderbirds” Netball Team

1999 Cyclist Stuart O’Grady

2001 Tennis player Lleyton Hewitt; and orchestra conductor Dr Jeffrey Tate

2003 Crows captain Mark Ricciuto; and entertainer Barry Humphries

2004 Nobel Prize winner for literature John Coetzee; Port Power Football Club; and newspaper proprietor Rupert Murdoch

2006 Trauma surgeon Dr Bill Griggs AM

2008 Adelaide United Football Club

2010 Cheong Yew Liew OAM

2011 Lance Armstrong
This is a freaking farce!
i thought they said there were 33
can anyone name the 33 or this a made up number?

Aidan

#21 Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:03 am

mutt, when I counted the recipients on that list quoted, I made it 33. How many did you think were listed?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by mutt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:05 pm

you're right. i counted down not across.

i'd like to know where an official list of these recipients is kept though

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 am

Adelaide United received it? :|

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Goya's Line » Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Not familiar with Captain Stury or most of the religious recipients but Cher does seem the standout anomaly. What's the Adelaide connection with Dukakis?

ghs

#25 Post by ghs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:28 pm

This whole issue had an interesting finish to it. Good on you Robert !
No pay for Cher's key to Adelaide

A Melbourne man has bid almost $100,000 for a key to the city of Adelaide that was originally given to US singer Cher - and is now refusing to pay.

Robert McDougall, of Clifton Hill, placed the highest bid of US$95,900 (A$92,030) on eBay, trumping 30 other bidders. He said he made the bid as a protest because the auction was an insult to Adelaide, and he had no intention of paying.

"I thought it was mildly outrageous that it was taking place, I found it pretty insulting."

The 25-year-old arts student said he was bumping up the bids as a bit of a joke.

Cher, 65, was awarded the key to the city following her performance at the 1990 formula one grand prix. She took to Twitter to declare she was "upset" that the brass key and an accompanying memorial plaque had ended up on eBay.

"I'm upset 2 & trying 2get2 bottom! I Think my office fkd up?" she said on Twitter.

Former Adelaide mayor Steve Condous, who presented Cher with the key, said he was bitterly disappointed at the sale.

''If she didn't want to keep it she should have returned it back to the city,'' he said.

Mr McDougall said the key appearing on eBay was insulting to the people of Adelaide.

"I think there have only been about 33 given out in the last 30 years, and they have gone to people like the Dalai Lama."

Mr McDougall said he had written to the seller to point out Cher's tweet and explain he wouldn't be paying.