News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
urban
Legendary Member!

#46 Post by urban » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:50 pm

crawf wrote:littledyl16, you should consider yourself lucky.

Theres only 1 bus service that goes to the city from Mount Barker, and it only goes every hour off-peak. So if your running late for the bus and you miss it, you have to wait a whole another hour for the next bus (this has happened to me so many times).

But thankfully the bus service in the hills is going to get a huge overhaul in february which is going to help me alot.
Having just seen a google hybrid map of Mount Barker I am not surprised that they only run 1 bus service. That town is a public transport planners nightmare. Every trick in the book has been used to prevent pedestrian, cycle and public transport use.

You could have still had a train service if the town didn't completely turn it's back on the railway station. There aren't any houses within 500m of the station.

Those new subdivisions adjacent the Freeway are one of the most ridiculous pieces of planning I have ever seen. The area is completely incapable of being serviced by any transport other than the car. The freeway route was designed to avoid all towns and provide a scenic route through the hills. This subdivision completely ruins that.

If you want a decent bus service lobby your council to fix up the town's appalling urban design.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:09 am

The 100 service is worse. The interval times between busses is ridiculous. You often wait 30 minutes for a bus, and then all of a sudden 3 100 busses rock up. Happens a lot for me.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:54 am

urban wrote:Having just seen a google hybrid map of Mount Barker I am not surprised that they only run 1 bus service.
Theres more than 1 service now, and the bus now goes every 1/2 hour to the city.
That town is a public transport planners nightmare. Every trick in the book has been used to prevent pedestrian, cycle and public transport use.
What a load of rubbish, Mt Barker isn't a PT planners nightmare its a town planners nightmare as Mt Barker was designed to be a little village, not a fast growing regional centre. In fact Mt Barker is nearly as old as Adelaide. The council has spent thousands on new footpaths and a walking/bicycle path from the main town park to the wetlands.
You could have still had a train service if the town didn't completely turn it's back on the railway station. There aren't any houses within 500m of the station.
To be honest If we did have a train service I would not use it, as the train station is 55km from the Adelaide CBD (via the trainline), while the town centre is just 34km from the CBD (via the freeway). While I love trains and hate buses, the bus is the most quickest way to the city.
Those new subdivisions adjacent the Freeway are one of the most ridiculous pieces of planning I have ever seen. The area is completely incapable of being serviced by any transport other than the car. The freeway route was designed to avoid all towns and provide a scenic route through the hills. This subdivision completely ruins that.
I've been through that estate and I don't see any problem with it at all, its actually helping Mt Barker surge as it has large affordable rural allotments which is very hard to find these days, especially this close to the city.

Anyway most of those people who live in that area wouldn't bother using public transport, as its becoming a rich area. Though if they wanted too, they could just walk down to Springs Road and catch the 838 to the interchange or drive a few kilometers to the interchange.
If you want a decent bus service lobby your council to fix up the town's appalling urban design.
That is just a ridiculous comment, what has a bus service got to do with a towns design. Yes the town centre is a disgrace at the moment, but in 5-10 years it will be unrecognisable with so many major projects set to start soon or are underway and the town will be finally getting a decent entertainment venue with the Barker Hotel undergoing a major redevelopment.

The Mt Barker region will soon have a bulky goods centre/4st office building (Harvey Norman, Spotlight etc...) with construction going well. And it looks like finally there is some activity for a new Big W store which is where that current bare eyesore in the town centre is.

Council can do so much, there spending quite a bit on fixing the town up from upgrading the main street 'Gawler St' to pushing for a second freeway exit.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by Mants » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 pm

urban wrote:Those new subdivisions adjacent the Freeway are one of the most ridiculous pieces of planning I have ever seen. The area is completely incapable of being serviced by any transport other than the car. The freeway route was designed to avoid all towns and provide a scenic route through the hills. This subdivision completely ruins that.
i 100% agree. it looks shocking from the freeway. i wouldnt live there anyway, right up against a freeway, people can practically see straight into your backyard.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:44 pm

i 100% agree. it looks shocking from the freeway. i wouldnt live there anyway, right up against a freeway, people can practically see straight into your backyard.

It shows a sign of progress and fills in a large gap of Mt Barker, anyway not all those houses are against the freeway its a very large estate.

I if had a family of my own and wasn't planing on moving into Adelaide in the next few months, I would live there (probably not right next to the freeway tho)

You have so much space to do anything you want and the views from some of those houses are stunning. Plus its very close to the town centre and just up the road from Adelaide.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#51 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:45 pm

It shows a sign of progress and fills in a large gap of Mt Barker, anyway not all those houses are against the freeway its a very large estate.

I if had a family of my own and wasn't planing on moving into Adelaide in the next few months, I would live there (probably not right next to the freeway tho)

You have so much space to do anything you want and the views from some of those houses are stunning. Plus its very close to the town centre and just up the road from Adelaide.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#52 Post by Cruise » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:12 pm

ughh double post double post

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by bmw boy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Diamondov, you make a good point.... i live on the same route and have the same opinions as you

urban
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by urban » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:14 pm

What a load of rubbish, Mt Barker isn't a PT planners nightmare its a town planners nightmare as Mt Barker was designed to be a little village, not a fast growing regional centre. In fact Mt Barker is nearly as old as Adelaide. The council has spent thousands on new footpaths and a walking/bicycle path from the main town park to the wetlands.
The council's efforts with the linear park and wetland area are highly commendable however they have allowed short term private interests to dictate the future layout of the town. Mt Barker had the potential to be a great hills town but you're pushing it uphill to get there now.
To be honest If we did have a train service I would not use it, as the train station is 55km from the Adelaide CBD (via the trainline), while the town centre is just 34km from the CBD (via the freeway). While I love trains and hate buses, the bus is the most quickest way to the city.
Fair point.
I've been through that estate and I don't see any problem with it at all, its actually helping Mt Barker surge as it has large affordable rural allotments which is very hard to find these days, especially this close to the city.
Apart from being an ecological disaster devoid of architectural, planning or landscape merit
Anyway most of those people who live in that area wouldn't bother using public transport, as its becoming a rich area. Though if they wanted too, they could just walk down to Springs Road and catch the 838 to the interchange or drive a few kilometers to the interchange.
What's being rich got to do with public transport. The glenelg tram is always packed, friends in London own a ferrari & a 7 series BMW but still catch the tube to work because it's the easiest way to travel.

Once people start having to drive to the interchange they're more likely to keep driving, you've already purchased the car, opened and closed the garage, backed out the driveway then you still have to find a carpark. The easy part is driving down the Freeway. Thieves love interchanges because the owners are likely to be away for a long period of time and there is poor passive surveillance.
That is just a ridiculous comment, what has a bus service got to do with a towns design. Yes the town centre is a disgrace at the moment, but in 5-10 years it will be unrecognisable with so many major projects set to start soon or are underway and the town will be finally getting a decent entertainment venue with the Barker Hotel undergoing a major redevelopment.
The town's centre isn't the problem, it's the edge. The Government has a limited number of buses and has to make the most efficient use of them possible. There is a maximum distance people will walk before it all becomes too hard. A bus traveling around Mt Barker has to travel a long way for a relatively small catchment of passengers. Then has to travel 34kms to Adelaide or the passengers have to switch. A bus could do 2 return trips between Adelaide and Marion in the same time. Which bus would you choose to run?
The Mt Barker region will soon have a bulky goods centre/4st office building (Harvey Norman, Spotlight etc...) with construction going well. And it looks like finally there is some activity for a new Big W store which is where that current bare eyesore in the town centre is.
The town centre would be 5-10 years ahead of where it is now if the previous subdivisions had been even partially connected to the town centre. Wasteful town planning is holding Adelaide and it's satellite towns back.
Council can do so much, there spending quite a bit on fixing the town up from upgrading the main street 'Gawler St' to pushing for a second freeway exit.
The work directly controlled by the Council is good. The council needs to set the bench higher for the developers before Mt Barker drowns in a sea of mediocrity like Golden Grove did and Mawson Lakes is about to.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Mt Barker had the potential to be a great hills town but you're pushing it uphill to get there now.
Mt Barker lost its potential years ago, the small narrow roads becoming heavly congested, services cant cope with the growing population and theres really no room to move in the town centre. The only potential Mt Barker has is becoming another Elizabeth.

The council wants to move car based businesses out of the town centre to make the town centre look less industrial and room for more retail outlets also theres plans to build a Indoor Aquatic Centre. In reality Mt Barker is just one major stuff up, the growth should be at Murray Bridge which is way better planned than Mt Barker.
What's being rich got to do with public transport. The glenelg tram is always packed, friends in London own a ferrari & a 7 series BMW but still catch the tube to work because it's the easiest way to travel.
I'm telling you, I go past that estate on the bus and i rarely see people get off. Plus Glenelg is only 11km from the city, That estate is 36km away.
The town's centre isn't the problem, it's the edge. The Government has a limited number of buses and has to make the most efficient use of them possible.
Well the buses have nothing to do with the council, in fact both the Adelaide Hills Council and Mt Barker council are angry at the new system and pushing for new buses.
A bus could do 2 return trips between Adelaide and Marion in the same time. Which bus would you choose to run?

The Marion service was axed in February, because very few people used it. So re-introducing the service would be a waste of resources.

The town centre would be 5-10 years ahead of where it is now if the previous subdivisions had been even partially connected to the town centre. Wasteful town planning is holding Adelaide and it's satellite towns back.
I have no idea, how that would help the town centre, as its the main retail hub of the Adelaide Hills. Private spending is the key.
The work directly controlled by the Council is good. The council needs to set the bench higher for the developers before Mt Barker drowns in a sea of mediocrity like Golden Grove did and Mawson Lakes is about to.
You know the council isn't loaded with money, the council can only do so much. You can not compare Mt Barker which was built in the 1830s, to Golden Grove & Mawson Lakes which were literally built from scratch.

urban
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by urban » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:03 am

crawf wrote:
Private spending is the key.
You know the council isn't loaded with money, the council can only do so much. You can not compare Mt Barker which was built in the 1830s, to Golden Grove & Mawson Lakes which were literally built from scratch.
My point exactly. The rural living estates and new subdivisions are all designed by private developers. For $200k or so the council could develop a quality set of design guidelines to ensure future subdivisions contribute positively to the growth of Mt Barker. This is a fraction of the cost of creating parks and paths to remedy the poor planning.

Good urban design can save councils millions of dollars which can be put into building decent amenities, undergrounding powerlines, building additional freeway exits etc.

The 1830s (probably 1860's onwards) section is the best bit of Mt Barker. Apart from this section the rest is as bad as Golden Grove & Mawson Lakes(town centre section aside)

I know you want Adelaide to be an exciting urban centre, this can only happen if we stop wasting money fixing the problems created by short-term thinking and poor urban design.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by bmw boy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:58 am

what's happening with the promise of the new bus fleet, which will finally see all those disgraceful vehicles out of the transport system :?: :?:

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#58 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:02 pm

bmw boy wrote:what's happening with the promise of the new bus fleet, which will finally see all those disgraceful vehicles out of the transport system :?: :?:
The new contract is still up for tender.
I who work for a bus company and can say theres at least another 60 buses not built yet under the current contract.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by Diamond » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:25 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
bmw boy wrote:what's happening with the promise of the new bus fleet, which will finally see all those disgraceful vehicles out of the transport system :?: :?:
The new contract is still up for tender.
I who work for a bus company and can say theres at least another 60 buses not built yet under the current contract.
Why have they not been built yet?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#60 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:30 pm

Buses dont come off a production line like a car and there is far more work involved than a car one bus takes about 15 weeks to build. With one started every 5 to 7 days, thus one is road ready every week for use.