This appears like another victory for the NIMBYs
All I ask is to understand what the NIMBYs mean when they say they are not anti-development, but all they want is for 'development to respect the heritage of the area'.
I have never understood this comment. Do these people genuinely think that in the year 2012, developers are going to propose a design from the 1890s?
Developer of complex at Henley Square withdraws appeal application with Environment Resources and Development Court
Weekly Times Messenger
September 25, 20121:11PM
THE developer of a five-storey apartment complex proposed for Henley Square will not contest its rejection.
An Environment, Resources and Development Court spokeswoman last week confirmed to the Weekly Times Messenger that developer Richard Antunes had withdrawn his appeal on Friday, September 21.
Mr Antunes was appealing against a Charles Sturt Council decision to knock back the development.
Charles Sturt CEO Mark Withers said he did not know why Mr Antunes had withdrawn his appeal.
"No compromise was reached through the appeal process and therefore if Mr Antunes wishes to progress the proposal a new application will need to be lodged with the council," Mr Withers said.
He said he was pleased the council did not have to go through the court process.
The council's (DAP) refused plans for the Seaview Rd complex last December.
It complex would have included 22 shops, 66 apartments and an underground car park.
The development was rejected because of concerns about the height and scale of the development.
The Western Adelaide Coastal Residents Association also spoke against the development last year, raising concerns about traffic problems, overshadowing and lack of parking.
Association president Jim Douglas said he was very "delighted" Mr Antunes had withdrawn the appeal.
"We are hoping that if another plan comes forward it will give proper consideration to the character and culture of the area," Mr Douglas said.
Esplanade resident Paul Laris, who also opposed the development, said the residents "had won a battle".
"I'd like to see the site developed in a way that is in tune with the historic buildings in the area," Mr Laris said.
Mr Antunes did not respond before presstime.
For more news on the west, pick up a copy of the Weekly Times Messenger, read our digital edition online, or become a fan of our Facebook page.