[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#196 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 am

stelaras wrote:so can anyone tell me:

1. Will images (lights arranged to form images) be multicolour, or will they be just 1 colour?

2. are both car parks covered (ie Hungry Jacks and Target) if both, then is 1.7 million dollars going to cover them both?

3. Super screens...well i guess the best place to place a cube with superscreens on them would be spack bang in the middle of rundle mall (gawler place intersection) it could be suspended using the buildings around it and that glass roofed thingo removed....

1. Multicolour - I posted some renders on one of the previous pages

2. Only Hungry Jacks is covered, but only 60% covered (see the pink render)

3. The cube in the Rundle Mall was actually mentioned in the report as something they were considering investigating.

Personally I'd rather see it in one of the squares if they were going to do it.
One of the ideas with the cube idea (i've got the design brief for that too), was to have it suspended from 4 post type things, which sounded alright) - Looked good too.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#197 Post by shuza » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:44 am

champsman wrote:From where would you suspend it?
Directly above the Wakefield/Grote Street throughroad in the middle of Victoria Sqaure, with cables strayed by poles positioned in 6 locations on the edges of the square of equal paralox and distance apart. Put two amphitheatres in at either end of the square with landscaped western and eastern fronts. There you have it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#198 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:10 am

I was thinking almost identical to your thoughts....

What I am imagining is an underpass in Victoria square for traffic east/west. returning the middle back to parkland and have a giant cube in the centre maybe four times the sizeof the rundle st proposal. this would be able to be seen coming up or down King William and Grote and Wakefield Streets. There could be some sort of ampitheatre in the square too with a couple of restaurants/cafes.

that would be soo good it would be unique in a way and sure would cost a lot but it would liven up the HUB of the CBD with benefits flowing in all directions. i wish I was some sort of property developer so i could put that proposal to the council for next financial years budget.

They could receive some funding from the state government and possibly the federal for the underpass too.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#199 Post by rogue » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:20 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:Actually, none of Adelaide's squares get enough foot traffic to be a meeting place or a hang out place but I think Hindmarsh has the most potential. It is very close to heavy traffic areas Rundle Mall and Rundle Street, and with a bit of strategic development (a screen alone is not enough but is one good idea) it could draw on that nearby population. Making Hindmarsh Sq a bit more pedestrian friendly would be a start, but it also needs more retail and entertainment. It already has cinemas but they are a but run down. A few restaurants, cafes bars could be added.

Personally, I think Hindmarsh Sq is a real dark horse and has so much potential. But they need to focus less on offices and more on entertainment/retail/hospitality to truly bring the square alive.
Good call. Although I can understand the emotion involved in redeveloping Victoria Square, it is nothing like its former self. Now being predominantly surrounded by offices, this space would be dead outside of office hours.

Hindmarsh Square is a great option. Tyler_Durden is spot with the suggestion of upgrading the nearby entertainment / retail / hospitality precinct.

Personally, I would prefer going there to watch something on the big screen than trekking down to Vic Square.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#200 Post by Edgar » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 pm

Does this LEDS can actually project other images/words/etc or just patterned flowery like in the examples?

I've seen LEDs screen that can actually project images and act as a screen.

And hopefully it is bright enough to catch enough attention in the day time, as there isn't much purpose for this during the night, especially on weekdays, as there is not much activities going on pass 6pm on Mon-Thursday and Sun night.

urban
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#201 Post by urban » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Tyler_Durden is onto something. Ampitheatre with back to Pulteney/Grenfell corner. Big screen above entrance to Cinemas all serviced by the pub and adjacent cafes. BTW kudos to Coopers Alehouse on Hurtle Sq for efforts with big screen at Rugby World Cup.

Matt
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#202 Post by Matt » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:36 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:Does this LEDS can actually project other images/words/etc or just patterned flowery like in the examples?

I've seen LEDs screen that can actually project images and act as a screen.

And hopefully it is bright enough to catch enough attention in the day time, as there isn't much purpose for this during the night, especially on weekdays, as there is not much activities going on pass 6pm on Mon-Thursday and Sun night.
In the day time it won't even be on.

It's not LED screens, it's a strip of LED lights that are pointed at pieces of aluminium, illuminating them in the different colours.

The images that can be used on it are limited. It's meant to be more of an "art" thing, than a superscreen for information, images, etc, by the look of it.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#203 Post by Al » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Yeah that looks really cool. I was worried when I read 'scaled down' but if this goes ahead I think it'll be great.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#204 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:55 pm

When I think about it, the ACC should redevelop the Rundle & Gawler St Intersection and use that 'cube' idea.

The 'cube' design would work much better at that intersection and It would be a better gathering place than the Rundle & Pulteney St Intersection.

Though it could be a problem to revamp that area, as many events are held there.

EDIT - Also Gawler Street between North Terrace and Grenfell St should be paved and have a similar concept to Leigh St (which looks great). So theres better connection to Rundle Mall

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#205 Post by stelaras » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:03 am

if i recall...thats what i said already!

point 3 of my last post on page 12!!

I think it makes more sense to go there. Its a geat meeting point, close to the ammenities and in an entertainment precinct.

Can you imagine watching sport, movies or whatever with a few thousand people packed into Rundle mall and gawler place...It would be our own mini Federation Square!

It would inject life into that zone!

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#206 Post by shuza » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 am

Rundle Mall isn't that wide. To cram 'thousands' into such a confined place would be unpleasant. If anything, 'advertisement screens' would be appropriate at the intersection, and using a much bigger space like the Festival Theatre Plaza or Victoria Square to position a large-scale viewing screen.

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#207 Post by Snorkie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:39 pm

According to an article in the city messenger, constrution will take up to 6 months, with the possibility of construction starting by the end of the month (highly doubt that though). Good times...

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#208 Post by shuza » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:36 pm

6 months! :| How on earth could such a miniscule project take 6 months?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#209 Post by Will » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:43 pm

shuza wrote:6 months! :| How on earth could such a miniscule project take 6 months?
Each stage of the North Terrace re-development takes two years. The council has a habit of taking their time with their projects.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM]

#210 Post by rev » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:52 pm

Your kidding, 2 years?! Iv seen councils dig up entire streets, replace drainage etc, resurface, and redo footpaths and curbs, in less then 6 months. :shock: