Rundle Mall - A Smokers' Paradise - No more

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Mants
Legendary Member!

Re: Rundle Mall - A Smokers' Paradise

#91 Post by Mants » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Mrcockatiel wrote:I avoid Rundle Mall like the plague due to getting a doze of cancer causing chemicals each time I enter. I'd rather work in an asbestos factory (which would at least have basic OH&S standards) than walk through Rundle Mall slowly killing myself.

It's about time something was done to get rid of this filthy disgusting, selfish habit. It also sets a bad example for children. If you want to smoke, shoot up, whatever, do it in your own home, not on front of children. Actually, I'd rather be standing next to someone shooting up Heroin, than a smoker if told to make a choice. At least the druf is not slowly creeping into my body from being in the close vicinity of the person.

Until Rundle Mall gets rid of the smoking burden, it has lost my patronage to Westfield which has taken this matter more seriously.

These selfish smokers couldn't care less about pregnant women in the mall etc, and just use their addiction as an excuse to avoid responsibility.

If Rundle Mall doesn't ban smoking, it's leaving its self open to being sued by anyone who gets lung cancer who works there.
i dont even have words.........

Mrcockatiel
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#92 Post by Mrcockatiel » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Yup, it's totally disgusting, selfish act. I can't describe it in words either why someone would be so negligent; as to cause harm to innocent bystanders on the street. If I was to drive my car up a gutter and hurt someone I would be charged, but smokers harm others every day and get away free with it.

Lets not forget that they block up the healthcare system, and it's self inflicted harm. It's worse than cutting yourself, as smokers are actually hurting others. It should be illegal. As my last comment stated, it's worse than Heroin, somoking is a selfish form of drug taking where innocent people are injured. At least Heroin users put their used needles in the bin so others don't get harmed. Smokers harm others including pregnant women, the elderly, and children.

I hope smoking is banned on every street in the CBD, and every bus stop, and every set of eves. Selfish, disgusting, intolerable habit. I am ashamed that the Adelaide City Council hasn't done anything about it so far. Shame on them.

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#93 Post by Zills » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Mrcockatiel wrote:Yup, it's totally disgusting, selfish act. I can't describe it in words either why someone would be so negligent; as to cause harm to innocent bystanders on the street. If I was to drive my car up a gutter and hurt someone I would be charged, but smokers harm others every day and get away free with it.

Lets not forget that they block up the healthcare system, and it's self inflicted harm. It's worse than cutting yourself, as smokers are actually hurting others. It should be illegal. As my last comment stated, it's worse than Heroin, somoking is a selfish form of drug taking where innocent people are injured. At least Heroin users put their used needles in the bin so others don't get harmed. Smokers harm others including pregnant women, the elderly, and children.

I hope smoking is banned on every street in the CBD, and every bus stop, and every set of eves. Selfish, disgusting, intolerable habit. I am ashamed that the Adelaide City Council hasn't done anything about it so far. Shame on them.
People like you have heart attacks through self inflicted stress. Stop clogging up the health care system as I need the hospital bed when i'm sidelined with lung cancer.
:hilarious:

Mants
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by Mants » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:11 am

Mrcockatiel wrote:Yup, it's totally disgusting, selfish act. I can't describe it in words either why someone would be so negligent; as to cause harm to innocent bystanders on the street. If I was to drive my car up a gutter and hurt someone I would be charged, but smokers harm others every day and get away free with it.

you use the word negligence...how about the heroin users who leave their syringes in playgrounds, beaches and parks? or perhaps the people who burgle others just so they can afford their next hit? or better yet, the women who give birth to drug addicted children and the parents who take the food out of their children's mouths just so they can afford their gear? is this not negligent behaviour, or did i miss something whilst studying the law?
smoking may harm pregnant women, the elderly and children, but people from all of these groups also do make up the population of people who do smoke, possibly with the exception of pregnant women (not in all cases though). plenty of elderly people smoke as well as children, or what could be legally classified as a child.
smoking is not a "dirty habit" as much as it is an addiction, which is psychological. many people do try and fail to quit. most smokers are reasonable people...the do make up around 20% of the population, keep in mind. in most occasions you will see a smoker standing downwind from other people, or will move away if young children approach the area in which they are standing.
it is absurd to compare smoking to direct self harm in the form of cutting or similar, and especially violent and intentional car accidents involving pedestrians. it is like comparing suicide to lung cancer. cigarettes are often used in social situations and this is especially obvious if you observe the people outside of coffee shops, pubs and clubs. whilst the other situations you described; particularly driving your car into a crowd of people, are most definitely anti-sociable and abhorrent.
it is a very extreme view that all smokers do so with the intention of causing harm to others.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by Hooligan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Lets cover everything with bubble wrap!!!!

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 am

Ooh, walking around would be fun!

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#97 Post by Pants » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 pm

Mrcockatiel wrote:
Omicron wrote:If an open-air public mall is determined to be subject to restrictions upon personal activities such as smoking, then *non-denominational deity* help us all.
Hey while they are at it, just let people have sex in public there. Stopping that is just as much of a ban on civil liberties. That's legal too. Incase you don't get it, i'm being sarcastic you tool.
:lol:

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by mshagg » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Spot the troll :applause:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Rundle Mall - A Smokers' Paradise - No more

#99 Post by Ben » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Council approves mall smoke ban
Steve Rice

A CIGARETTE in Rundle Mall will cost more than $60 under a smoking ban voted in by Adelaide City Council.

And side streets in the mall area will also be subject to the ban, which will begin on a date to be announced.

The move prohibits the smoking of tobacco or any other substance in any part of the mall, or "in the immediate vicinity", and the fine will be $62.50

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood welcomed the council decision.

"We are not just a business when it comes to Rundle Mall. We are a level of government and we have social, environmental and economic goals we need to achieve," he said.

"I believe this ticks all these boxes to attract families, older people, children and people who choose to shop in an environment where they are not getting smoke blown in their face."

The council received correspondence from Drug and Alcohol Services and the Heart Foundation calling for the ban, as well as an 83-signature petition from two Mount Carmel College Year 11 students.

The amended by-law will be released for public consultation before the council obtains a certificate of validity to enforce it.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#100 Post by Hooligan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Wow, a petition of 83 people......

Signature removed 

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#101 Post by Ben » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Effective from today
Adelaide City Council smoking ban begins in Rundle Mall

by: Chloe Kennedy

SMOKERS are now banned from lighting up in Rundle Mall and adjoining laneways.

A six-month trial of the City Council's by-law began yesterday and will go through until next February.

Smokers will escape fines for the first six months of the by-law, when council officers will ask them to butt out and hand them a leaflet that explains the ban.

The by-law will be enforced in eight laneways off the mall, including Gawler Place, Twin St and James Place.

Signs indicating the No Smoking area have been installed at either end of the mall and in all laneways entering into the mall from either North Tce or Grenfell St.

Butt out bins have also been removed from the No Smoking area and instead moved to all street entrances.

An online poll conducted in March, when the by-law was voted through, indicated 77 per cent of almost 500 people were in favour of the move.

metro
Legendary Member!

#102 Post by metro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Good, although it probably wont stop people from smoking.

Also, going away from Rundle Mall, If people are allowed to smoke on the other city streets, then people should be allowed to consume alcohol. At the moment I think you arent allowed to drink unless it's at a licensed venue. It's a real double standard for us non-smoking casual drinkers. :?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#103 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:33 pm

metro wrote:Good, although it probably wont stop people from smoking.

Also, going away from Rundle Mall, If people are allowed to smoke on the other city streets, then people should be allowed to consume alcohol. At the moment I think you arent allowed to drink unless it's at a licensed venue. It's a real double standard for us non-smoking casual drinkers. :?
You can drink in the parklands, the dry zone only extends to the terraces.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#104 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 am

Be careful with that one.

Whilst the dry zone only extends to the terraces, around the North Terrace precinct, the finer details are all a bit complicated and confusing, but the 'northern' dry zone boundary is more or less the river torrens, but does not include botanic park.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by Hooligan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Oh, you caught me smoking in Rundle Mall? heres my licence mister council douche bag so you can record all my details and fine me.

Said no one, ever.

Signature removed