Port Adelaide footballer John McCarthy dies in Las Vegas.

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Port Adelaide footballer John McCarthy dies in Las Vegas.

#1 Post by Hooligan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:04 pm

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/new...6/default.aspx

It is with great sadness that the Port Adelaide Football Club today confirms the tragic death of player John McCarthy.

John, 22, was holidaying in the United States with 10 team mates. The club was informed by US authorities in Las Vegas this morning that John had died as a result of injuries sustained in a fall from a building. The circumstances of the tragedy are still being investigated.

Leave your tribute to J-Mac here

Port Adelaide extends its deepest sympathies to John’s family, girlfriend and team mates, and is providing whatever support necessary to help them through this tragedy.

The other players in the travelling party are Travis Boak , Matthew Broadbent , Alipate Carlile, Brett Ebert, Hamish Hartlett, Tom Logan, Andrew Moore , Paul Stewart , Jackson Trengove and Justin Westhoff . These players are all safe and accounted for and arrangements are being made for them to return to Australia.

Port Adelaide general manager (football) Peter Rohde is travelling to Las Vegas to provide support for the players and to work with the US authorities and Australian consular officials.

John McCarthy played 21 games in his debut season with Port Adelaide this year after joining the club from Collingwood in the pre-season draft last year. He was drafted by Collingwood in 2007, having played 18 games for the Magpies from 2008-2011.

Port Adelaide chief executive officer Keith Thomas said the death was an enormous shock and a terrible tragedy for John’s family, partner and friends as well as for the club and the wider Port Adelaide community.

“John embraced Port Adelaide and we embraced him, and we are deeply shocked and saddened by his passing,” Thomas said.

“He was a very popular player among his team mates and our supporters. John played 21 of 22 games this season for Port Adelaide and was a valued member of our team who quickly won the respect and friendship of us all.

“He will be greatly missed by everyone at Port Adelaide and we extend our sympathies to his parents Shane and Cath, his brother Matt, sisters Frances, Elizabeth and Jane, his girlfriend Dani and his extended family and network of friends.”

The Port Adelaide Football Club is unable to comment further on the circumstances around John’s death while an investigation is underway.

We request that the media respect the privacy of John’s family, friends, team mates and club staff as they grieve during this difficult period.
portadelaidefc.com.au

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Port Adelaide footballer John McCarthy dies in Las Vegas

#3 Post by Waewick » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:33 pm

this is probably a safer place to ask this question

at what point did John morph from current Port listed player to ex-Collingwood player, and why was that?

he played more games at Port and was actually on the Port list when the tragedy occurred.

I can not understand how this morphed into a Collingwood issue apart from the fact, they were going to delist him.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

It may be an issue for a few Collingwood players who were mates with him. That's about as far as it goes. The reason there has been a bit of focus on Collingwood as well is because it was only recently that he was part of their team too.
Just because he went to another team doesn't mean friendships come to an abrupt end.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Waewick » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 pm

fair enough I guess, I just found it strange that we heard from Eddie Mcguire more than Keith Thomas, at one point Eddie was saying how Collingwood looks after it's own...I just found it weird given he was responsible for delisting in the first point.

I don't know it just seemed weird to me that Port ended up being a footnote in the whole thing despite the guy playing ofr Port and being with Port players at the time.