Ethnic shopping areas of Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

Ethnic shopping areas of Adelaide

#1 Post by RayRichards » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 pm

After recently visiting a quite decent eatery on Prospect road Kilburn, run by a lovely Uyghur family I know. It got me wondering about other areas of Adelaide that have a ethnic flavour. Of course there is the Parks area with many Vietnamese restaurants and roll shops. The Barossa is lined with German stock, Henley Beach Road controlled by the Cypriots and the Payneham Road Italian.

What others fit the list do you think? One of the very few positives of segregation I think are these 'Little' ethnic enclaves. Great food at excellent prices. Just wished I could understand the contents of their video shops!

Cheers.

Ray.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Ethnic shopping areas of Adelaide

#2 Post by Aidan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 pm

RayRichards wrote:After recently visiting a quite decent eatery on Prospect road Kilburn, run by a lovely Uyghur family I know. It got me wondering about other areas of Adelaide that have a ethnic flavour. Of course there is the Parks area with many Vietnamese restaurants and roll shops. The Barossa is lined with German stock, Henley Beach Road controlled by the Cypriots and the Payneham Road Italian.
Other obvious ones include Hahndorf and Chinatown (and maybe Little India, though many would consider that too small to count).

The ABS compiled a few maps showing things like there were a lot of Greeks and Italians living near the Torrens, while Poms tend to settle around Elizabeth and Christies Beach. It's still on their website somewhere.

But the ethnic character of some areas is fading. There was somewhere in the SW suburbs (Diagonal Road, I think) which used to be predominantly Italian but isn't any more. Is Klemzig still recognisably German?
What others fit the list do you think? One of the very few positives of segregation I think are these 'Little' ethnic enclaves. Great food at excellent prices. Just wished I could understand the contents of their video shops!
That's not segregation, that's agglomeration! And agglomeration is usually a good idea.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.