News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#1 Post by BenJ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Just thought I'd post a few pics of some pretty amazing installations and prints from a French artist named 'JR'. Something like this would look incredible in Adelaide. I can think of several rather dated buildings in the city that could use this kind of treatment.

His website is http://jr-art.net/

Can you imagine a combination of street art like this with maybe the light show on North Tce as seen in the last Adelaide Festival of Arts? Perhaps he'd be available for a commision?

If others have any other good examples of street art they think could work in the CBD, maybe you could post them here to give those in power who read this forum a few good ideas.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Fantastic Street Art

#2 Post by BenJ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Like, I'm thinking opposite the Rundle lantern on the current carpark wall would look pretty special.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#3 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Vital pedestrian link upgraded

source: http://dpti.sa.gov.au/newconnections/article?item=230

Bank Street will become an easier street for pedestrians to navigate and a more enticing strip to visit as the next of Adelaide’s laneways is activated.

The street that lies between North Terrace and Hindley Street is part of a pathway between some of the city’s highest pedestrian areas.

In the coming weeks the department will be talking with users of the street and businesses about how it can be improved.

The aim will be to make it easier and safer for pedestrians to share the route with motorists while encouraging more roadside businesses such as cafes and eateries.

Earlier in the year another piece of this pathway through the city – Leigh Street – was partially closed as a trial to encourage people to visit and use the space.

The move is part of a plan to encourage more people to live, work, invest, visit and spend time in our city.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Bank Street is such an dingy looking street at the moment. Bring it on!

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by omada » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:17 pm

In the coming weeks the department will be talking with users of the street and businesses about how it can be improved.

The aim will be to make it easier and safer for pedestrians to share the route with motorists while encouraging more roadside businesses such as cafes and eateries.
I've got an idea - close the street off to traffic altogether! How's that for a brainstorm. What a completely insane concept - no cars. OMG!!!

Nort

#6 Post by Nort » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 am

omada wrote:

I've got an idea - close the street off to traffic altogether! How's that for a brainstorm. What a completely insane concept - no cars. OMG!!!
Did you read the article?
Earlier in the year another piece of this pathway through the city – Leigh Street – was partially closed as a trial to encourage people to visit and use the space.
If it goes really well then they may very well do so, however lets see how Leigh Street goes before making that call.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by arki » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:36 am

Yea, and I found myself on Leigh St on a Sunday lunch time last month and the tumble weeds were out in force. Not one shop was opened. What a joke.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by SRW » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:59 am

arki wrote:Yea, and I found myself on Leigh St on a Sunday lunch time last month and the tumble weeds were out in force. Not one shop was opened. What a joke.
It was dead because it was a Sunday, not because cars could no longer drive through the strip...
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#9 Post by claybro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:08 pm

I had reason to walk through Leigh St on a Thursday evening a coulple of weeks ago. about 10pm it seemed quite busy. One little bar in particular(cant remember the name) was packed. I would normally walk along King Willam, probably for safety, but as there appeared to be alot of people around, I took the indirect path of Bank and Leigh and it felt quite safe.

Nathan

#10 Post by Nathan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Little bar? That's probably Udaberri then. Was there a band playing on Thursday night? Last time I went down there on a Friday night, there was a jazz band playing up on the balcony above Leigh St Luggage - which was great for the atmosphere of the whole street.

ChillyPhilly

#11 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:31 am

Nathan wrote:Little bar? That's probably Udaberri then. Was there a band playing on Thursday night? Last time I went down there on a Friday night, there was a jazz band playing up on the balcony above Leigh St Luggage - which was great for the atmosphere of the whole street.
Love having that band up there.

With regards to Leigh Street as a whole, they need to do more with second and third storeys of the buildings along there, and block some of the view towards Hindley Street (clashing building uses, land uses and demographic audiences). But it's early days, so hopefully the street can eventually become a little self-sufficient. Leigh Street should aim to build a culture of regular visitors to restaurants and the like, as well as attract certain types of people who walk through.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#12 Post by Nort » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:05 am

Casablabla is a nice little place on Leigh Street for anyone who hasn't been there.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Nort wrote:Casablabla is a nice little place on Leigh Street for anyone who hasn't been there.
But not for anyone who has?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nort

#14 Post by Nort » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Nort wrote:Casablabla is a nice little place on Leigh Street for anyone who hasn't been there.
But not for anyone who has?
Touché. :D

thoughtfactory
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by thoughtfactory » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Why the resistance/unwillingness to close the revitalised laneways to cars? I thought that Melbourne was the model re laneway revitalisation?