Why wasn't Harris Scarfes heritage listed?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Why wasn't Harris Scarfes heritage listed?

#1 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 pm

I guess the only real heritage aspect was that it was old.

apart from that, it really didn't have any redeeming features...IMO of course.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#2 Post by pushbutton » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

If the old Myer store with it's very impressive and grand stone facade wasn't deemed good enough to protect, then John Martin's obviously wasn't either (despite it's huge public support) and if neither of these got listed I'm afraid Harris Scarfe never stood the slightest chance.

The facade was reasonably interesting, and no doubt much more so than the new facades that are replacing it, but it didn't really have much architectual merit in my opinion, and the interior was a complete mess.
old Myer Adelaide in 1988.jpg
old Myer Adelaide in 1988.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 3265 times

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Aye both Myer and Harris Scarfe's interiors were a mess, suffering from much patchwork renovation. I remember the old Myer floorboards squeaked in many places and were ramps in others. Myer's facade was worth saving, but only a small portion of the Mall facing facade of Scarfe's was worth saving (IMO).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by jk1237 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 pm

I for one, was disappointed that the 4-5 level part facing the mall was demolished from HS. I really liked it as it looked something from some old wild western movie. Had lots of character.

As for the old Myer building, what a disgrace that was pulled down for that repulsive green and gold, tacky post modern dump of a facade that faces the mall. The Myer building, the old Grand Central hotel building on cnr Rundle/Pulteney Street, and the Royal Exhibition building are Adelaides greatest losses IMO

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:26 am

jk1237 wrote:The Myer building, the old Grand Central hotel building on cnr Rundle/Pulteney Street, and the Royal Exhibition building are Adelaides greatest losses IMO
100% agree.

usersalvatore09
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by usersalvatore09 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Nathan wrote:
jk1237 wrote:The Myer building, the old Grand Central hotel building on cnr Rundle/Pulteney Street, and the Royal Exhibition building are Adelaides greatest losses IMO
100% agree.
They were all very nice buildings. All that is in those three places now is a ugly half empty Myer Centre and two ugly car parks.