[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#61 Post by Ben » Wed May 02, 2007 9:01 am

From Adelaide Now:

There is also an opinion poll on the site.

PREMIER Mike Rann has used an announcement to fast-track the latest proposal for the former Le Cornu site in North Adelaide to attack the Adelaide City Council over years of inaction.

Describing the situation as a symbol of the council's inability to get its act together, Mr Rann yesterday said State Cabinet had on Monday decided to step in and award major development status to the Makris Group's revised $150 million proposal for the O'Connell St site.

It is the second Makris project to be fast-tracked by the Government in recent weeks, after a proposed $250 million retail and community complex at Victor Harbor was granted major development status in March.

Makris chief executive John Blunt yesterday said the firm had approached the Government last August, prepared to compromise and seeking major development status.

After working with the Government, the new plans limit the building to three levels on both corners and six storeys in the middle.

It will feature cafes, restaurants, 400 car parking spaces and shops on the ground floor, with 40 residential apartments, overhead walkways and towers.

Work is not expected to begin on the site for at least two years. Mr Rann said the vacant site had been a "blot on the landscape for about 19 years" and represented a "failure by successive councils to get things going".

"No city council has been able to make up its mind to give this place the go-ahead," he said.

"It has been a symbol of the fact that the Adelaide City Council could not get its act together.

"We'll step in and give it major project status which supersedes the council. This would not happen as council would just not make up its mind, could not agree. People in this state want things to happen."

Planning Minister Paul Holloway said the Makris Group's new proposal was "more sympathetic" than the nine-storey proposal rejected last year.

"We wouldn't have given the new proposal major development status unless we thought it had a good chance of going through," he said. "The ultimate decision will ultimately rest with Government."

Con Makris yesterday said he would "like to thank the State Government" after having bought the site in 2001 and having had several proposals rejected.

City of Adelaide Minister and Adelaide MP Jane Lomax-Smith said she would like to see the site "appropriately developed".

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#62 Post by Howie » Wed May 02, 2007 9:40 am

Waiting for Al to post some renders .... :wink:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#63 Post by Will » Wed May 02, 2007 10:58 am

I am very impressed with the state government recently. First Victoria Park, then helping to overturn the ALP uranium mining ban and now this. This shows leadership and a vision to put the state's best interest forward. I watched this on the news last night, and although the height of the complex has been lowered, I personally think that's irrelevant. The development remains stylish, elegant and classy. It will be a great addition to Adelaide.

urban
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#64 Post by urban » Wed May 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Will wrote: The development remains stylish, elegant and classy. It will be a great addition to Adelaide.
I am glad to see something finally happening but the design is appalling. It is horribly kitsch. We deserve better than a disneyland version of a european city.

Adelaide is a young city we should embrace this and not pretend to be an old european city.

The old rules of scale, bulk, articulation, pattern etc still apply but should be interpreted in a modern way.

Has the Architect been to the site (or even Adelaide). I think the streetscape elevation would show what a poor fit it is.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#65 Post by Al » Wed May 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Renders. (Sorry about the size... haven't got time to rescale)

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#66 Post by Al » Wed May 02, 2007 3:29 pm

It's interesting too about the poll results on the Advertisers site. There's been 12,221 votes, 10,140 approve of the design, 48 votes disapprove, 2033 don't care. 48 against out of 12,221!!. Who is the Adelaide city council representing then? Maybe those 48 votes are all ACC councilors. :lol:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#67 Post by Will » Wed May 02, 2007 3:35 pm

urban wrote:
Will wrote: The development remains stylish, elegant and classy. It will be a great addition to Adelaide.
I am glad to see something finally happening but the design is appalling. It is horribly kitsch. We deserve better than a disneyland version of a european city.

Adelaide is a young city we should embrace this and not pretend to be an old european city.

The old rules of scale, bulk, articulation, pattern etc still apply but should be interpreted in a modern way.

Has the Architect been to the site (or even Adelaide). I think the streetscape elevation would show what a poor fit it is.
I completely disagree. North Adelaide is a very historical area, a simple walk through the streets will reveal how well preserved North Adelaide is. As a result development in North Adelaide should blend in with the neighbouring area. I feel this development fits in very well with the historic vibe of North Adelaide. I love modern architecture, but North Adelaide is a very sensitive area, where something modern would look strange. Futuristic designs are better suited to the CBD.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#68 Post by Norman » Wed May 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Woah, that looks pretty impressive!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#69 Post by bmw boy » Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm

wow looks great!!! very European
good to see the state govt has finally put the ACC and those wingers in their place

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#70 Post by shuza » Wed May 02, 2007 4:21 pm

I like the design, but if from memory - It looks pretty much the same as the former proposal? Whats the difference(s)... all I can think of is one floors difference?

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#71 Post by bmw boy » Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 pm

shuza wrote:I like the design, but if from memory - It looks pretty much the same as the former proposal? Whats the difference(s)... all I can think of is one floors difference?

it does look similar, although comparing it with the original renders you can clearly see the differences in the size and also design... the originals are on page 1 of this thread...

im not sure which i prefer, i think this new proposal

bva
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#72 Post by bva » Wed May 02, 2007 5:10 pm

in part i agree with urban - there is a degree of pastiche going on here but overall i think it will work in north adelaide. in my view it will come down to the quality of materials to ensure it does not look like euro disney

urban
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#73 Post by urban » Wed May 02, 2007 6:29 pm

Will wrote:I completely disagree. North Adelaide is a very historical area, a simple walk through the streets will reveal how well preserved North Adelaide is. As a result development in North Adelaide should blend in with the neighbouring area. I feel this development fits in very well with the historic vibe of North Adelaide. I love modern architecture, but North Adelaide is a very sensitive area, where something modern would look strange. Futuristic designs are better suited to the CBD.
Why don't European cities use this type of pseudo heritage with their new developments?

It is because they recognise that it detracts from the integrity of the heritage areas.

New buildings in a historic area should provide a discourse with the original buildings which draws out their special qualities. Truly good architecture can only come from a thorough understanding of the location.

When you look at Federation Square together with the train station opposite you understand both buildings.

Look at I.M. Pei's entrance for the Louvre, the Millenium Bridge in London, Lord's Media box they all understand their context and reinterpret it in a modern way.

The National Pharmacies building adjacent The Archer fits the location beautifully.

The LeCornu design comes from a very superficial analysis of the context and unless handled with extreme skill will result in no more than a poor representation of a european city. It will not interest international tourists because they can go and see the real thing.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C]

#74 Post by rhino » Fri May 04, 2007 2:10 pm

It's great that this site is finally going to have something happening on it, and I quite like the look of the renders/architects' drawings, but I am disturbed by an article in today's 'Tiser about Theo Makris' contributions to the Labor Party and the fact that he has had two of his projects fast-tracked recently.

From today's Advertiser:

Developer 'gave ALP $180,000'
MICHAEL OWEN, POLITICAL REPORTER
May 04, 2007 02:15am

A PROPERTY development firm, twice helped by State Government fast-tracking in the past month, has used associated companies to donate more than $180,000 to the Labor Party, it has been revealed.

The Opposition says the Makris Group, which this week was granted major project status for its $150 million development of the former Le Cornu site in North Adelaide, was the second biggest donor to Labor last financial year, only being outspent by party funding body ALP Holdings.
A Makris Group $250 million project at Victor Harbor was granted major development status in March.

Liberal MP Rob Lucas told Parliament that while the Makris Group was recorded as having donated $32,000, its associated companies had given the ALP another $150,000.

"When one adds up the Makris Group specific receipts of $32,000, the Balgara Shopping Centre Management $70,000, Acana Pty Ltd $50,000, Gawler North Market $30,000, a total of $182,000 is donated by those companies to the Australian Labor Party," he said. "The Liberal Party return does not record donations from any of those."

Makris chief executive John Blunt said on Wednesday that the company had donated money to the Labor Party because "we want to make our projects happen".

He would make no further comment yesterday.

Greens MLC Mark Parnell said the latest revelations showed a need for a ban on all developer donations to political parties.

But Premier Mike Rann said banning developers from making donations would be "outrageous".

"If anyone believes that our Planning Minister or our planning authorities makes any decisions on the basis of donations then they are extremely foolish indeed," he said.

Meanwhile, City of Adelaide Minister and Adelaide MP Jane Lomax-Smith was yesterday shielded from answering parliamentary questions about the former Le Cornu site.

Deputy Premier Kevin Foley instead took a question asked by the Opposition of Dr Lomax-Smith, telling Parliament that the Cabinet decision to fast track development ended two decades of inaction
cheers,
Rhino

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#75 Post by Will » Fri May 04, 2007 3:38 pm

From the City Messenger:

Makris' major coup

Chris Day

01May07

FROM nine to six the State Government has granted major project status to the latest design for the vacant Le Cornu site that is three storeys lower than last year's rejected effort.

Site owner the Makris Group is now proposing a $150 million mixed development of luxury apartments, shops, cafes, restaurants and 400 car parks over 4200sqm that at its highest point will reach six storeys.
Three storeys will front the small Centenary St, North Adelaide, while the peak height will face O'Connell St. A laneway lined with shops and cafes will break up the frontage.
Premier Mike Rann announced the major project on site on Tuesday (May 1) saying he was ``delighted'' with the Makris proposal.
The planning assessment status strips Adelaide City Council of its planning powers; under the Adelaide development plan, the site has a limit of three storeys.
``This site has a long history of development inactivity and stands as a testament to the failure of successive City Councils to deliver quality development on this site for the local community,'' Mr Rann said in a media statement. Last year the government refused to approve nine-storey plans by the Makris Group saying the development was too big.
The City Council has refused only one previous application by Makris for a seven-storey development, for similar reasons.
Lord Mayor Michael Harbison this week said the council had not been told of the latest plan by Makris or the government.
``I haven't seen the detail but it appears they have reduced the scale considerably it may be OK,'' Mr Harbison said.
Cr Anne Moran said the government had shown the council ``contempt'' by shutting it out of the planning process. Planning Minister Paul Holloway said major project status meant the Makris Group now had to prove to the government the plan met development criteria; the application would still be put to public consultation before any final approval was given.
City of Adelaide Minister Jane Lomax-Smith was not at the Premier's doorstop at North Adelaide and her spokeswoman said the matter was the responsiblity of the Planning Minister.
Dr Lomax-Smith later would only confirm via email that she supported ``appropriate development'' at the site and would not comment on the size of the building, or whether she supported Makris' plan.
Makris general manager Ken Cooney was excited about the latest plans: ``It will be a landmark development, something special for North Adelaide, and Adelaide.''
Prominent city developer and Mancorp director Theo Maras said it seemed like a ``good step forward'' but that he needed more detail on how the six-storey mixed use development would impact on the residential amenity.
North Adelaide Society chairman Ed Briedis, who has lobbied against large-scale development of the site, said the government's announcement marked ``a day of infamy''.