News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ml69
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#901 Post by ml69 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Aldi stores are just a normal supermarket size, it's not like they are like Costco

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#902 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 am

Aldi has quite a small format. It's between half and 2/3 the size of a typical Coles or Woolworths. They are not a "full-service" supermarket - you can't get all your weekly needs in one stop and the range changes constantly.

It's like a cross between The Reject Shop and Ikea's food market - a weird combination of short-date food, imported crap from China you don't need, and brands with umlouts in their name.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#903 Post by SRW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Once Aldi and Costco open, all the major national chains will be represented in Adelaide, along with the local guys Foodland. Would I be right in thinking Adelaide has the most competitive market in the country?
Keep Adelaide Weird

utaussiefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#904 Post by utaussiefan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Ripcurl is in the process of having a closing down sale, everything is currently 50% off. the store is closing and not relocating.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#905 Post by Pants » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 am

Saw that on Friday. Is that part of the cinema redevelopment so they can open up the lane way to the mall?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#906 Post by crawf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Pants wrote:Saw that on Friday. Is that part of the cinema redevelopment so they can open up the lane way to the mall?
Hopefully they don't demolish it. That store exterior could form a great new entrance into the new cinema and dining complex.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#907 Post by pushbutton » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm

I must have missed something, but where is the new cinema and dining complex going to be?

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#908 Post by Pants » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 pm

They're re opening a couple of the old regent cinemas up and making it a bit more for adults, with a bar etc.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#909 Post by pushbutton » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 pm

Interesting. Any idea what company will run it? I know it was Hoyts before.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#910 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Pants wrote:They're re opening a couple of the old regent cinemas up and making it a bit more for adults, with a bar etc.
A bar? Will my dreams of being able to drink a beer while watching a movie at the cinemas come true?

metro
Legendary Member!

#911 Post by metro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:45 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:
Pants wrote:They're re opening a couple of the old regent cinemas up and making it a bit more for adults, with a bar etc.
A bar? Will my dreams of being able to drink a beer while watching a movie at the cinemas come true?
Have you heard of the Palace Nova on Rundle St? You can take beer and wine into any of their cinemas, and they have the old Imax screen to show the latest hollywood crap on :wink:

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#912 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:48 pm

metro wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:
Have you heard of the Palace Nova on Rundle St? You can take beer and wine into any of their cinemas, and they have the old Imax screen to show the latest hollywood crap on :wink:

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting they have a bar. :oops:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#913 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:14 am

peas_and_corn wrote:
Alcohol is already served in the gold class section of Marion and West Lakes cinemas.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#914 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 pm

crawf wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:
Alcohol is already served in the gold class section of Marion and West Lakes cinemas.
lol I'm not paying that much money to watch a movie.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#915 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:
lol I'm not paying that much money to watch a movie.
That's what this new cinema will be. Article can be found here
The Ginos Group has proposed splitting two existing cinemas, which currently resemble bare shells, into four state-of-the-art gold-class theatres with a new candy bar.

Each intimate theatre will seat between 40 and 50 patrons and screen the latest Hollywood blockbusters.

Patrons will gain access to the theatre from a repaved and upgraded Arcade Lane, which will feature a new balcony, canopy, landscaping, plus lifts and stairs to take patrons to the first-floor cinemas.