[U/C] WEST (Football Park) | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] WEST (Football Park) | Developments & News

#1 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 pm

A REZONING plan to allow about 1800 homes to be built at the SANFL-owned land in West Lakes is out for public consultation from today.

The league plans to develop its land between the Grange Golf Course, West Lakes Shopping Centre, West Lakes Blvd and Frederick Rd.

It will include shops, offices and apartments in buildings up to 10 storeys high, along with parks, plaza areas and cycleways.

Football would still have a presence at West Lakes, with the main oval retained.

The project is expected to take about 25 years to complete.

Plans for the area's rezoning will be available online today and at Charles Sturt Council's office in Woodville.

The council has previously written to the SANFL in support of the project.

The plans can be viewed at http://www.sa.gov.au/planning/ministerialdpas or at the council's office at 72 Woodville Rd, Woodville, Monday - Friday from 8.30am - 5pm.

Submissions are due on Wednesday, April 24, at 5pm.

For more news on the west, pick up a copy of the Weekly Times Messenger, read our digital edition online, or become a fan of our Facebook page.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6587662217

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: Plans for AAMI Stadium land released today

#2 Post by Eurostar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:28 pm

25 years to complete? I'm not enthusiastic now, I'll be 47 years old by then and doubt I'll be here still. I wish the land would be turned into a wetlands instead or left as is.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Allkai » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:44 am

25 years??????

Did they mean "2 to 5 years"????

:shock:

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Hooligan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:51 am

I would the long timeframe is so the SANFL has an income from the redevelopment for 25 years

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by buildit83 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 pm

the long term time frame would be most probably because there isn't all that much demand with quite a number of housing developments happening around Adelaide over the next 10 years or so such as St. Clair, New Port Quays, Bowden, Tonsley, Woodville West and the west end CBD to name a few. there isn't much point in building a larger development like this till the demand is there. the last thing they want is another New Port Quays disaster where they built to much to soon.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by pushbutton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 pm

If there's not much demand for housing, why not zone the land as tourism space and encourage major tourism companies to find a creative use for the site. Being right next to Westfield I can see it being a great location for a much needed attraction. There's also the Lakes Resort hotel just across the road and the beach 5 mins up the road which could also help.

Potentially the site is probably big enough for a small waterpark, for example.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Tangential discussion moved to beer garden:
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 88#p111088
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm

More to get a kick from apartment life at AAMI Stadium precinct housing redevelopment at West Lakes
Adam Hegarty
adelaidenow
March 24, 20138:00AM

The area affected by the West Lakes precinct development, and the redevelopment of AAMI Stadium. Picture: Google Earth Source: adelaidenow

Editorial: Saving AAMI Stadium worth a punt

A TREND towards apartment living will drive the success of the AAMI Stadium precinct housing redevelopment over the next 25 years, developers say.

The plan for the SANFL-owned area's rezoning, which would allow about 1800 medium-to-high-density homes to be built, is out for public consultation until April 24.

The league wants to develop its land between the Grange Golf Course, West Lakes Shopping Centre, West Lakes Blvd and Frederick Rd.

The long-term vision includes shops, offices and apartment buildings up to 10 storeys high, as well as parks, plaza areas and pedestrian and cycling paths.

Transport improvements also have been flagged, including the proposed tram extension along West Lakes Boulevard, which will provide direct access between the precinct, the CBD and Glenelg.

Most of the new homes will be contained in two- to six-storey-high buildings.

High-rise apartments have not been easy to sell at West Lakes, particularly at the four-year-old Infinity Waters complex, which still has about one-third - or 24 apartments - for sale.

But Urban Development Institute of SA executive director Terry Walsh said that would change.

"Attracting people to apartment living in Adelaide is usually slower than the rest of the country," he said.

"We're planning for 30 years from now ... we'll catch up to the rest of the country.

"There's a clear trend from younger people to that, so planning for the next 30 years we're talking about people in their 20s now."

Property Council of Australia SA executive director Nathan Paine said the development at AAMI would add more to an already strong community.

"It's really about getting the mixture of uses right," he said.

"The critical thing that's made (overseas stadium redevelopments) work is not just residential but also providing for that 10, 12, 18-hour day activities, such as cafes."

He said South Australians were starting to get a taste for apartments, rather than house and land packages.

"There's a growing segment of the population that doesn't want to mow lawns," he said.

Charles Sturt Council Mayor Kirsten Alexander said she was concerned the plan reduced the amount of open space from 18 per cent to 15 per cent.

The State Government requires a minimum 12.5 per cent of open space for the development.

Ms Alexander said she also was concerned long-term residents knew little about the plan's details.

WHAT'S NEXT
What area is affected by the planned development?

The 23.5 ha area affected is bound by West Lakes Boulevard to the north, Frederick Rd to the east, Brebner Drive to the south and Turner Drive to the west. A small portion of land adjacent to the existing Grange Golf Course, to the south of Brebner Drive, is also affected.

What is the key purpose of the development?

To plan and implement new mixed-use developments that focus on public transport and allow for more sustainable forms of living and working.

Who owns the land?

The SANFL.

How much will the SANFL raise from the redevelopment?

It remains unclear exactly how much the SANFL will raise from the project but latest estimates suggest it could be around $80 million.

What will happen to the Oval?

The existing football oval, a portion of Max Basheer Reserve and linear paths will be retained.

Will the Crows still train there?

Yes. The plan says the retained ovals would be used by the Adelaide Football Club and for other community uses.

What will happen to the stadium?

The long-term vision (11-25 years) assumes the demolition of AAMI Stadium.

How many residences will be built?

The overall master plan vision is estimated to deliver up to 1633 dwellings by 2031. The future population of the precinct is estimated at about 3200.

What are the building heights likely to be?

Most of the development is likely to grade from 2-3 storeys in the east to 4-6 storeys in the west.

How can I see the plan?

Download online or call Charles Sturt Council on 8408 1111.

When does public consultation on the plan end?

Submissions close on April 24.

How can I provide a submission?

Written submissions should be marked West Lakes (AAMI Stadium Precinct) DPA and sent to: Presiding Member, DPAC, Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure, GPO Box 1815, Adelaide SA 5001, email [email protected] or fax 8303 0627.

What happens next?

Following the consultation process, the Development Policy Advisory Committee prepares a report for the minister on the matters raised during the consultation.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 am

FOOTBALL greats have pleaded for parts of AAMI Stadium to be retained so it can be used as a boutique sports venue when AFL moves to Adelaide Oval.

But the latest state government plan for the precinct shows all the grandstands would eventually be bulldozed to cater for a major redevelopment, including 1600 homes, over the next 20 years.

On Friday night, 42,000 fans watched a round one AFL game at the West Lakes stadium for the last time.

Crows, Power and SANFL greats want it to continue hosting sports events. These could include SANFL practice or pre-season games, amateur sport and cricket.

Foundation Crow and dual Magarey medallist Andrew Jarman and former Power captain Warren Tredrea want AAMI Stadium to emulate Melbourne's Waverley Park, which is now Hawthorn's training base.

Waverley has been redeveloped with housing over the past 13 years but maintains a heritage-listed grandstand, which seats 2000 spectators compared with the ground's peak of 78,000.

"I think we need to be promoting AAMI as a boutique venue," Jarman said. "You've got to have some sort of stand there - you can't knock it all down."

Jarman said a drop-in cricket pitch should be considered so sport could be played all year round, as well as opening the oval to community sporting clubs.

"Obviously they need to work around the Adelaide Crows," he said. "At the end of the day, they need to make sure they get it right, not just bulldoze it."

The new plan, which is open for public consultation until April 24, assumes the demolition of the stadium but the oval would be retained for Adelaide Crows training and "community uses at other times".

The long-term plan includes shops, offices and apartment buildings up to 10 storeys high, as well as a network of parks, plaza areas and pedestrian and cycling paths.

AAMI Stadium housing precinct developers plan for high-rise apartments

Tredrea said it was up to experts to decide how to best utilise the stadium precinct to fund the SANFL, but would like to see them maintain a quality oval.

"I always thought an idea was a boutique stadium where you can play trial games," he said. "It's time to move forward to Adelaide Oval. (But) I'd hate to think it'll get totally gutted."

Inaugural Crows coach Graham Cornes said it was important the SANFL maximised the commercial potential of the precinct to fund South Australian football.

"That land (at AAMI) is one of the biggest assets for any sport organisation in Australia. So they must maximise the commercial potential," he said.

"It's important, of course, to keep a ground of some sorts, and some sort of viewing platform, but you have to understand that asset has to be resourced (to fund) all South Australian football.

"I think it's important it is maintained as a football oval, from which SANFL football can be played."

SANFL executive commissioner Leigh Whicker said the league had a responsibility to ensure the project was a commercial success but would not say what it planned to do with the open space it retained at the precinct.

In 2011, SANFL president John Olsen said money raised from the sale and redevelopment of AAMI would be locked in a "future fund" for SA football.

The new plan allows for 15 per cent of any future development to be open space. This is 3 per cent less than Charles Sturt Council has asked for but still 3 per cent higher than government regulations for similar developments.

Charles Sturt Mayor Kirsten Alexander said the State Government and SANFL must increase the amount of open space being retained at West Lakes to cater for the area's growing community.

According to the plans, only a "portion" of Max Basheer Reserve, on Brebner Drive, would be retained as part of the development.

"(Max Basheer Reserve) is used by many, many people each day for sporting and community use," Ms Alexander said.

"People need open space, they need to have room to move."

[Shuz]

#10 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am

I agree - they should keep the Member's stand intact and allow the oval to be used for community use and SANFL games.

Has anyone noticed that in new housing developments, soccer fields and football ovals are just not built anymore - it's always small pocket parks or linear parks, but never a good old fashioned football oval.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#11 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

[Shuz] wrote:I agree - they should keep the Member's stand intact and allow the oval to be used for community use and SANFL games.

Has anyone noticed that in new housing developments, soccer fields and football ovals are just not built anymore - it's always small pocket parks or linear parks, but never a good old fashioned football oval.
Are you kidding? It seems like every single park has to have some kind of combo football/cricket/soccer 'sporting field'. Just look at the parklands, there's one nearly every 100m. Sure they should be a feature of some parks, but a bit of variety please. Not every park has to go through the checklist of "sporting field" - check, "bbq area" - check, "native (by native, they mean gums) plantings" - check, "plastic kids playground" - check, "generous car parking" - check.

[Shuz]

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 am

Nathan wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:I agree - they should keep the Member's stand intact and allow the oval to be used for community use and SANFL games.

Are you kidding? It seems like every single park has to have some kind of combo football/cricket/soccer 'sporting field'. Just look at the parklands, there's one nearly every 100m. Sure they should be a feature of some parks, but a bit of variety please. Not every park has to go through the checklist of "sporting field" - check, "bbq area" - check, "native (by native, they mean gums) plantings" - check, "plastic kids playground" - check, "generous car parking" - check.
Re-read my post. I specifically said new housing developments. Not the Parklands or in existing suburbia.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#13 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Nathan wrote:

Re-read my post. I specifically said new housing developments. Not the Parklands or in existing suburbia.
My response applies to new or redeveloped parks just as much. I mentioned the parklands as an example of the obsession of having them wherever they can be crammed in.

claybro

#14 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 pm

As mentioned in the article, the old members stand of Waverly Park (VFL PARK) was retained and an oval of sorts but very little else.It looks kind of odd stuck out there in suburbia. This site is however much smaller than the Melbourne counterpart and therefore perhaps the members stand could be retained, with a smaller oval, but very little else. I think however from the comments of the "ex footballers" they have something a bit more elaborate in mind. Would be a shame if this became a real sticking point, as the government has spent hundreds of millions benefiting the sport by relocating football at no cost to the SANFL, and allowing them to keep all the funds from the sale of this land. If all of football park was razed next year and every inch of land sold then so be it. Put a plaque there instead and move on fellas.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Vee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 am

[Shuz] wrote:I agree - they should keep the Member's stand intact and allow the oval to be used for community use and SANFL.
I like this idea too.
Surely they can see the benefit of having an alternate sports ground, with an all weather stand, for community use, SANFL, Amateur League, Little Athletics, Masters Games etc.?

Is it the management/maintenance costs of the stand, loss of some land for sale $$$, aesthetics (integration into plan) or dampening of sales/values by having a sporting ground with possible weekly fixtures and crowds of 100s to potential thousands for finals or occasional events such as Masters Games?