[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2686 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Crows didn't have the first game at Footy Park because according to the Power they were est in 1870. Can't have it both ways "Power". Also Power played Melbourne last year at Adelaide Oval, so in all fairness, it's the Crows turn.

I'm in two minds. One is that I don't give a **** I just want to beat them. The other is, never give your opposition (no matter how insignificant they are) a free kick.

Whatever happens, I'm pumped for footy back in the city.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#2687 Post by serca » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 pm

So much fluff around who gets the first home game , who cares! Just be happy to watch some good footy in a new world class stadium. I don't think they need to postpone the showdown to "iron out" teething issues . It's not rocket science it's people going to the football. No matter who plays in the first game, it will be a sell out regardless. C'mon Power 6 - 0 ! :cheers:

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#2688 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

While I'm not that bothered by who gets the first game it would just seem more apt for Adelaide Football Club, the only team that can truly claim to be Adelaide's team, to be the first team to play a home game there. Port Adelaide name themselves after and identify with a place 15kms down the road. They will only ever be visitors to the city of Adelaide.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2689 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:While I'm not that bothered by who gets the first game it would just seem more apt for Adelaide Football Club, the only team that can truly claim to be Adelaide's team, to be the first team to play a home game there. Port Adelaide name themselves after and identify with a place 15kms down the road. They will only ever be visitors to the city of Adelaide.
The first part of your statement doesn't agree with the rest of your statement. ;)

Remember the rule about not arguing football on S-A? Let's not go there.

(Okay so I made it up. But still...)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2690 Post by Matt » Fri May 03, 2013 1:21 am

I don't give a shit, as long as I get a ticket (and a reasonably priced flight!)

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2691 Post by Pants » Fri May 03, 2013 6:20 am

cruel_world00 wrote:Crows didn't have the first game at Footy Park because according to the Power they were est in 1870. Can't have it both ways "Power". Also Power played Melbourne last year at Adelaide Oval, so in all fairness, it's the Crows turn.

I'm in two minds. One is that I don't give a **** I just want to beat them. The other is, never give your opposition (no matter how insignificant they are) a free kick.
He means they hosted the first Showdown. And as you'd no doubt know, "Power" is the nickname of our AFL team, the Port Adelaide Football Club (est 1870) is our club. And would that be the insignificant Port who is currently equal top of the ladder, the talk of the AFL, has more members than Geelong and almost Carlton and whose premiership win was less than 15 years ago?

As for who hosts the first game, the main driver should be ensuring two sell outs for the season. The best way to guarantee that is to have Port host first, as Crows fans, who are usually too precious or too busy making apricot slices and knitting blankets to go to Port home games, would more likely show up if it's the first game at Adelaide Oval. The second Showdown of the season is more likely to sell out if it's a Crows home game given their larger supporter base.

As for what Tyler said, I take your point about Adelaide being a cobbled together, cross-bred club with no real identity or history, but if it wasn't for Port angling for a better stadium deal and the reluctant Crows being dragged along, the new Adelaide Oval wouldn't have happened, so if we're talking about any club deserving to host the first game, it's Port.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2692 Post by Wayno » Fri May 03, 2013 6:24 am

ugh. Back to the redevelopment please.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2693 Post by Pants » Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 am

Come on mate, it can't all be about concrete and steel. Footy banter's a natural flow on from discussion about the first AFL game at AO. People who don't like it can quite easily skip to the next quoted article or construction photo.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2694 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 03, 2013 9:19 am

Pants wrote:Come on mate, it can't all be about concrete and steel. Footy banter's a natural flow on from discussion about the first AFL game at AO. People who don't like it can quite easily skip to the next quoted article or construction photo.
Yes but it ultimately has no basis in fact and quickly devolves into pages and pages of people repeating themselves. Take it to the pub, please.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2695 Post by Pants » Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 am

Opinions generally can't be passed off as fact and last time I checked, forums are commonly for expressing opinions and sometimes even having a bit of good natured fun along the way.

If you want to keep this thread rigidly on topic of the construction of the oval and not about the teams who'll play there, feel free to move the posts that offend you.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2696 Post by Nathan » Fri May 03, 2013 9:49 am

monotonehell wrote:
Pants wrote:Come on mate, it can't all be about concrete and steel. Footy banter's a natural flow on from discussion about the first AFL game at AO. People who don't like it can quite easily skip to the next quoted article or construction photo.
Yes but it ultimately has no basis in fact and quickly devolves into pages and pages of people repeating themselves. Take it to the pub, please.
Agreed. This is about the oval redevelopment, not a pissing contest about who's team is better or has more right to exist.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#2697 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm

mattblack wrote:
Port Adelaide Fan wrote:
How is it for people in wheelchairs ?
Not good at the moment. All the ramps and pedestrian walkways are cordoned off and there is no access to the members stand until the refurbishment is completed. The only view you will get of the playing surface is on this website.
Thanks. Was going to go to Adelaide Oval to take some photos but will not now.

GO THE PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB!!!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2698 Post by rev » Fri May 03, 2013 1:16 pm

The ignorance of crows supporters never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, back on topic before we get a smack, will they do any trial runs with the drop in pitches with any non significant games?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2699 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 pm

:lol:
Cheeky Rev ;)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2700 Post by Wayno » Fri May 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Sorry for appearing overly strict. As penance i'll chastise myself repeatedly over the weekend ;-) wayno...must...learn...to...loosen...up...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.