News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#946 Post by muzzamo » Tue May 14, 2013 9:05 am

I mentioned the possibility of using the new DPS terminal as a hub a page or so back.

If jetstar start flying adl-dps some serious low cost options are about to open up for adelaide. Even adelaide to Japan via DPS and definitely adl to Singapore, Phuket, etc.

I notice someone has updated the Wikipedia page for dps with the new adelaide flights.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#947 Post by Dazzeland » Wed May 15, 2013 4:09 pm

muzzamo wrote:I mentioned the possibility of using the new DPS terminal as a hub a page or so back.

If jetstar start flying adl-dps some serious low cost options are about to open up for adelaide. Even adelaide to Japan via DPS and definitely adl to Singapore, Phuket, etc.

I notice someone has updated the Wikipedia page for dps with the new adelaide flights.
Yeah, especially with Jetstar Japan and Jetstar Hong Kong

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#948 Post by Dazzeland » Sat May 18, 2013 9:52 am

I think I heard a rumour not too long ago about HBA flights opening up again soon. Not sure which carrier

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#949 Post by Dazzeland » Mon May 20, 2013 10:48 pm

ruski17
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#950 Post by ruski17 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Dazzeland wrote:
Norman wrote:While flying on Jetsar this morning I noticed in their magazine that they have services commencing from Adelaide to Denpsaar from July this year.
Thanks for this Norman :) Do you have any photos of it?

This is a link to the Jetstar online magazine for the month of May. It does say ADL-DPS commencing on the 8 July subject to regulatory approval.

http://www.ink-live.com/emagazines/jets ... 112/zoomed

Looks like theres going to be a fair amount of competition on that route. Especially if Batik Airlines go through with their plan to fly ADL-DPS aswell.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#951 Post by Dazzeland » Thu May 23, 2013 8:20 pm

ruski17 wrote:
Dazzeland wrote:
Norman wrote:While flying on Jetsar this morning I noticed in their magazine that they have services commencing from Adelaide to Denpsaar from July this year.

This is a link to the Jetstar online magazine for the month of May. It does say ADL-DPS commencing on the 8 July subject to regulatory approval.

Looks like theres going to be a fair amount of competition on that route. Especially if Batik Airlines go through with their plan to fly ADL-DPS aswell.
Poor VA. they've had the monopoly for ever and now JQ are coming in and Batik, Garuda and Indonesia AirAsia are rumoured to swoop in

ruski17
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#952 Post by ruski17 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:04 pm

And now we wait for an all out airfare price war on the ADL-DPS route. This could become a nicely priced gateway to the rest of Asia and beyond. Too bad DPS is not really a transfer friendly airport. But then you can always have a couple of days at the beach in Bali before traveling further.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#953 Post by Shahkar » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Jetstar set to fly daily to Darwin from Adelaide

BUDGET airline Jetstar is launching a daily service between Adelaide and Darwin, adding an extra 1080 seats a week between the cities.

From September 1, the new service will fly during daylight hours, replacing its four-day-a-week service that leaves in the middle of the night.

The new schedule will link with international Jetstar flights to Bali and Singapore.

It has been welcomed by the State Government and travel industry. But both said Qantas and its Jetstar subsidiary should also provide direct flights from Adelaide to international destinations.

Bookings for the 3hr 40min Darwin flights are on sale from today. Prices start at $179 one way.

Travel agent Phil Hoffmann welcomed the new daily service by the Qantas-owned budget airline, but he would also like to see direct services offered to Auckland and Bali.

"Darwin is one of the hardest destinations to get to because of limited opportunities and horrendous flying times," he said. "This new service is good news for South Australian travellers to Darwin and for those heading to Singapore or Bali because they will now be heading in the right direction."

Jetstar flights from Adelaide to Bali currently go to Singapore via Melbourne or Sydney and to Bali via Perth.

State Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said he hoped the new Jetstar daily daytime flights would encourage more international tourists to the Top End and also to visit South Australia.

"This is a slight improvement in services to Adelaide but Malaysia, Cathay Pacific and Singapore airlines are doing a much better job bringing international tourists to South Australia than Qantas or Jetstar," he said.

The additional flights from Adelaide came because of increased demand, Jetstar Australia and New Zealand CEO David Hall said.

"We are delighted to be adding this additional capacity from Adelaide," he said. "As a low-fares carrier, we are able to move decisively to meet demand."

Airbus A320 jets carrying 180 passengers and fitted with iPads loaded with movies and TV shows for entertainment will be used on the new service. Flights depart Adelaide at 11.55am to arrive in Darwin at 3.35pm and depart Darwin at 7.15am to land in Adelaide at 10.55am.

ruski17
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#954 Post by ruski17 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 pm

"The new schedule will link with international Jetstar flights to Bali and Singapore"
So is this in addition to the planned direct Bali flights or is it going to be a Darwin stopover service?

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#955 Post by Stefan P » Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 pm

ruski17 wrote:"The new schedule will link with international Jetstar flights to Bali and Singapore"
So is this in addition to the planned direct Bali flights or is it going to be a Darwin stopover service?
This is essentially the Bali flight. You stopover in Darwin and then depart to Singapore or Denpasar. Even Manila as well, but I am not sure what time the MNL flight departs DRW.

They have tried this before, making Darwin a daylight flight and it didn't last to long, They began that on Sept 1st 2008 (can't remember how long it lasted).

Here are the schedules for the new re-scheduled flights beginning 1/9/13. (these flights will depart domestically)

JQ92 Dep DRW 0715 Arr ADL 1055
JQ91 Dep ADL 1150 Arr DRW 1530
Stefan

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#956 Post by muzzamo » Fri May 24, 2013 11:36 am

Seems like Jetstar is really focussed on using Darwin as a Hub.

Makes sense given its proximity to SE Asia.

I just looked up some sample flights to Bali then and they are coming to $770 return before extras (luggage), which doesn't compare particularly favorably to the direct prices that Virgin are offering on this route.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#957 Post by Dazzeland » Fri May 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Stefan P wrote:
ruski17 wrote:"The new schedule will link with international Jetstar flights to Bali and Singapore"
This is essentially the Bali flight. You stopover in Darwin and then depart to Singapore or Denpasar. Even Manila as well, but I am not sure what time the MNL flight departs DRW.

They have tried this before, making Darwin a daylight flight and it didn't last to long, They began that on Sept 1st 2008 (can't remember how long it lasted).

Here are the schedules for the new re-scheduled flights beginning 1/9/13. (these flights will depart domestically)

JQ92 Dep DRW 0715 Arr ADL 1055
JQ91 Dep ADL 1150 Arr DRW 1530
I thought that the new JQ flights from ADL to DPS were direct. In the magazine the route shows a direct flight route

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#958 Post by Dazzeland » Fri May 24, 2013 5:07 pm

ruski17 wrote:
Dazzeland wrote:

Also, the ADL-DPS direct flights will start on the 8th of July, while the daily DRW flights will start in September. I think that the DRW flights are for people who can't get on he direct flights, and people who want to go to SIN, MNL etc on JQ.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#959 Post by Stefan P » Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm

ruski17 wrote:
Dazzeland wrote:

Also, the ADL-DPS direct flights will start on the 8th of July, while the daily DRW flights will start in September. I think that the DRW flights are for people who can't get on he direct flights, and people who want to go to SIN, MNL etc on JQ.
Where has the ADL-DPS flight been announced. I have had a look in their booking system and all ADL-DPS flights are 1stop flights. If they were to start on July 8th, they surely would have been announced byb now.

I suspect that Virgin may begin Darwin flights at some stage as well. Their flights can connect to Silkair from Darwin to Singapore.
Stefan

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#960 Post by Dazzeland » Fri May 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Stefan P wrote:
ruski17 wrote:
Dazzeland wrote:

Where has the ADL-DPS flight been announced. I have had a look in their booking system and all ADL-DPS flights are 1stop flights. If they were to start on July 8th, they surely would have been announced byb now.

I suspect that Virgin may begin Darwin flights at some stage as well. Their flights can connect to Silkair from Darwin to Singapore.
They have been announced in their magazine (link above) where they only show non stop flights.