[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2806 Post by rev » Sun May 26, 2013 10:08 pm

serca wrote:A 53,000 capacity Adelaide oval is plenty enough ! With a southern stand like the others the stands it would rarely if ever reach full capacity. Also us Adelaidians in my opinion have to accept our city in its infrastructure(unfortunately) , developments and lifestyle is unique to that of other Australians cities. This is mostly a good thing and we should embrace it. Not all i agree with ie - Ann Moran and her policies :) and or enormous amounts of multi story car parks in the CDB, etc, but this Adelaide oval redevelopment couldn't represent Adelaide and its people in a better manner. It is a new world class stadium with a unique all be it funky design yet it has managed to keep some tradition and the grass roots of what made it such a well liked oval. The "mound" new decking old score board and views of the cathedral/figs will only add to the atmosphere, keep in touch with its heritage and not overshadow the new epic stadium! :bow:
Embrace it? Our roads are an absolute mess.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#2807 Post by serca » Sun May 26, 2013 10:15 pm

rev wrote:
serca wrote:A 53,000 capacity Adelaide oval is plenty enough ! With a southern stand like the others the stands it would rarely if ever reach full capacity. Also us Adelaidians in my opinion have to accept our city in its infrastructure(unfortunately) , developments and lifestyle is unique to that of other Australians cities. This is mostly a good thing and we should embrace it. Not all i agree with ie - Ann Moran and her policies :) and or enormous amounts of multi story car parks in the CDB, etc, but this Adelaide oval redevelopment couldn't represent Adelaide and its people in a better manner. It is a new world class stadium with a unique all be it funky design yet it has managed to keep some tradition and the grass roots of what made it such a well liked oval. The "mound" new decking old score board and views of the cathedral/figs will only add to the atmosphere, keep in touch with its heritage and not overshadow the new epic stadium! :bow:
Embrace it? Our roads are an absolute mess.

I did put unfortunately in brackets next to infrastructure.... All the constant whinging that goes on about infrastructure hasn't changed anything has it? . If our government pull tolls like other cities for better roads most would whinge about that too. so yes embrace it. Less focus on roads more on public transport is needed. Better get back to Adelaide oval talk ASAP :cheers:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#2808 Post by Maximus » Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 am

claybro wrote:If everyone here can honestly believe that the Adelaide oval was deliberately designed without a Northern stand as a point of difference from other stadiums, and to allow an ambience not available elsewhere, rather than to appease the SACCA and the North Adelaide society, then I and most others in my circle must be very out of touch with sentiment on this development. Most people I discuss this with see this as a compromise and are muted in their disappointment if only to be positive about a return of football to the location rather than being overly impressed with the stadium itself.
Yep, I can honestly say that. In fact, I'm not aware of anyone (other than some folk on here) who think that the open northern end is a 'compromise' or 'incomplete' or a 'bad idea'. In fact, on the contrary, it's seen as a brilliant design. Clearly you and I are in touch with different sentiments...
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#2809 Post by Goya's Line » Mon May 27, 2013 11:06 am

Being 115 years old the Northern Mound is as protected as the Scoreboard and Moreton Bay figs. Complaints about seating or preserving a pile of dirt completely miss the atmosphere and history of the area - it's like grumbling about lack of seating at Soundwave.

bretthandorf
Gold-Member ;)

#2810 Post by bretthandorf » Mon May 27, 2013 4:54 pm

The ultimate memberships have been withdrawn :applause:

http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/newsdeta ... rship.aspx

Probably the best decision the SMA has made! It was never going to sell with that sort of price tag.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2811 Post by claybro » Mon May 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Maximus wrote:Yep, I can honestly say that. In fact, I'm not aware of anyone (other than some folk on here) who think that the open northern end is a 'compromise' or 'incomplete' or a 'bad idea'. In fact, on the contrary, it's seen as a brilliant design. Clearly you and I are in touch with different sentiments...
Yes there are obviously differing opinions on this subject, but those in the camp that this development is all it could be, had better not complain when the negative jibes from interstate start up, or people are whinging at having to pay $20 odd bucks to stand on a damp mound.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2812 Post by Vee » Mon May 27, 2013 5:33 pm

bretthandorf wrote:The ultimate memberships have been withdrawn :applause:

http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/newsdeta ... rship.aspx

Probably the best decision the SMA has made! It was never going to sell with that sort of price tag.
Looks like it will go from undersubscribed (old Ultimate package) to oversubscribed now that the tickets (for the footy games) are transferable?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2813 Post by Wayno » Mon May 27, 2013 5:41 pm

not sure how the new ultimate membership will work. This came from SACA:
SACA Membership offer

SACA has today confirmed that it will be releasing SACA Membership offers ahead of the Ashes Test match this season.

Following the withdrawal of the SMA’s Ultimate Membership SACA is now in the position to offer up to 6,000 additional SACA memberships to all those on the SACA waiting list,” SACA President, Ian McLachlan said.

“Non SACA Members who registered for an Ultimate Membership will not miss out on cricket membership this year.

“In recognition of their interest and patience, those who are not currently SACA Members, but who have registered for an Ultimate Membership, will be invited to join the SACA waiting list prior to offers being made.

“SACA Membership offers will be made to all those on the SACA waiting list in late June and the SMA will be contacting all Ultimate Membership registrants advising they have a month to register.

“Anyone can register – all waiting list applications will be listed for an offer.

“It’s a perfect time to join SACA. It’s a new era at Adelaide Oval and the Ashes Test match is only months away.

“Our current member to seat ratio will not be affected as the new southern grandstand will expand capacity to unprecedented levels.

“SMA has advised that all Ultimate Membership registration fees will be automatically refunded in full, but all registrants will have the option to apply this $75 to renew/commence SACA Membership or a football membership.”

FAST FACTS

1. The SMA’s Ultimate Membership product has been withdrawn.
2. However, those interested in cricket membership will not miss out.
3. All Ultimate Membership registrants and the public are invited to join the SACA waiting list.
4. All waiting list applications will be listed for an offer.
5. SACA Membership offers will be made to all those on the SACA waiting list at the end of June.
6. The round of offers will not affect SACA’s member to seat ratio, due to the additional and unprecedented capacity of the new southern grandstand.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2814 Post by Will » Mon May 27, 2013 6:19 pm

claybro wrote:
Maximus wrote:Yep, I can honestly say that. In fact, I'm not aware of anyone (other than some folk on here) who think that the open northern end is a 'compromise' or 'incomplete' or a 'bad idea'. In fact, on the contrary, it's seen as a brilliant design. Clearly you and I are in touch with different sentiments...
Yes there are obviously differing opinions on this subject, but those in the camp that this development is all it could be, had better not complain when the negative jibes from interstate start up, or people are whinging at having to pay $20 odd bucks to stand on a damp mound.
Interstate people will only make jibes after they hear us making jibes. We are sometimes our own worst enemy.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2815 Post by Wayno » Mon May 27, 2013 7:09 pm

claybro wrote:Yes there are obviously differing opinions on this subject, but those in the camp that this development is all it could be, had better not complain when the negative jibes from interstate start up, or people are whinging at having to pay $20 odd bucks to stand on a damp mound.
Mate, let it go. You're now trying to promote your opinion through the possible future opinion of others who don't even live here.

And re. the damp mound (an unnecessary disparaging comment I must say) local folk will vote at the ticket booth.

Bottom line is people will complain no matter what is done. We're seeing strong evidence of that now.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2816 Post by claybro » Mon May 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Wayno wrote:
claybro wrote:Yes there are obviously differing opinions on this subject, but those in the camp that this development is all it could be, had better not complain when the negative jibes from interstate start up, or people are whinging at having to pay $20 odd bucks to stand on a damp mound.
Mate, let it go. You're now trying to promote your opinion through the possible future opinion of others who don't even live here.

And re. the damp mound (an unnecessary disparaging comment I must say) local folk will vote at the ticket booth.

Bottom line is people will complain no matter what is done. We're seeing strong evidence of that now.
I have deliberately kept out of this debate, because I thought I was out of step with popular consensus on this development and out of my desire to be positive about AFL in the city. In recent weeks however, having discussed this with work colleges, friends and family, many of them football fans and ticket holders, I have found most have the opinion we did not get the best outcome as far as a FOOTBALL stadium is concerned, and many feel footy has sold out to the wishes of SACCA , given footy will be by far the biggest earner here. I am not promoting my opinion as you say from what future public opinion would dictate, but from the opinions of many that I currently discuss this with. Sorry if this offends some here.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#2817 Post by Dog » Mon May 27, 2013 8:58 pm

The whole project is looking fantastic to me, more photos and building progress and less navel gazing please.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#2818 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Mon May 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:Taken Friday 12 April2013:
And something different going on at the front of the Members stand - AFL interchange benches etc perhaps?
What I noticed more in that pic was the removal of a bay of seats from level 2 of the Western Stand. Not sure why any of those seats would need to be touched.
A box for the coaches ?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2819 Post by Brucetiki » Mon May 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:
Brucetiki wrote: What I noticed more in that pic was the removal of a bay of seats from level 2 of the Western Stand. Not sure why any of those seats would need to be touched.
A box for the coaches ?
Doubt they'd put the coaches boxes there, but it does pose the question of where the coaches boxes will go.

Hope they haven't forgotten about them ala Etihad.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#2820 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Mon May 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Port Adelaide Fan wrote:
Brucetiki wrote: What I noticed more in that pic was the removal of a bay of seats from level 2 of the Western Stand. Not sure why any of those seats would need to be touched.
A box for the coaches ?
Doubt they'd put the coaches boxes there, but it does pose the question of where the coaches boxes will go.

Hope they haven't forgotten about them ala Etihad.

I said a coaches box because of this picture.