[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

[SWP] Re: #PRO: Former RAH Site (Design Competition)

#16 Post by Shahkar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:10 am

Apparently Steven Marshall is working on his plans for this site. :roll:

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#17 Post by HeapsGood » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Dazzeland 2.0 anyone?

:banana:
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Matt
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Matt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Tivoli Gardens

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Dazzeland » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm

HeapsGood wrote:Dazzeland 2.0 anyone?

:banana:
Hope so!

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Dog » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Lots of opportunity for ideas at a public consultation held at the convention centre, many hundreds their and lots of good ideas. I liked the idea of part used for a international university of the 3rd age, a place where retired academics, artists, authors, scientist, thinkers, and researchers from around the world could, live, teach and mentor. Other for reclaiming much to extend the botanical gardens, or the world largest gallery of aboriginal art and culture. Many more ideas, all good fun with post it notes!

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by how good is he » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Do you think a 5 or 6 star hotel like a Hyatt On The Park would work there and gain public support?

Or what about a London Eye type tourist attraction coupled with 21st century amusements/entertainment/high tech rides etc to make it more a tourist precinct?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by ml69 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 pm

how good is he wrote:Or what about a London Eye type tourist attraction coupled with 21st century amusements/entertainment/high tech rides etc to make it more a tourist precinct?
Don't think this would work in Adelaide to justify what would be a large capital spend to make it interesting enough .... we just don't get the tourist throughput to make this viable.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by how good is he » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:18 am

I agree we don't get the tourist throughput but I guess if there is nothing for them to come to visit/see in the future why would they come anyway.... Bit like the chicken and egg scenario ... what needs to come first? I know if Melbourne never built Crown, Fed. Square, Docklands etc etc.... tourist numbers would prob. be half.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by zippySA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Eden project as a seed of an idea sounds great - what would we be able to come up with that would be truly unique - I think that is the secret to making something like another Eden concept fly: it must be recognised as globally unique and hence compelling to pursue. Don't have the answer but it must be out there somewhere.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by ml69 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:24 pm

zippySA wrote:Eden project as a seed of an idea sounds great - what would we be able to come up with that would be truly unique - I think that is the secret to making something like another Eden concept fly: it must be recognised as globally unique and hence compelling to pursue. Don't have the answer but it must be out there somewhere.
I like this Eden Project concept too. Nothing else like this in Australia. The perfect complement to our botanic and educational precinct, providing an interesting unique tourist attraction in the heart of the city. It should also be popular for school visits during weekdays and families on weekends.

I'd suggest a tropical rainforest dome (but much bigger than the Bicentennial Conservatory) and a desert/outback dome. The architecture should be cutting edge modern.

The existing heritage buildings of RAH should be sold to Adelaide University to extend the campus.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Dog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:45 pm

I am presuming the chest clinic across the road from the RAH on North Terrace will be moving as well, great opportunity for some more apartments.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#27 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Here's my quick design. Been working on it for a while, so yeah.

Seriously though, whatever the site is used for has to 'bridge' a range of locations, events and places and essentially mould them together: education, the Botanic Gardens, Fringe and Clipsal, the Parklands, North Terrace, Rundle Street, etc. Ideally it should be restored to something of a natural use, seeing as the land it is built on was originally Parkland anyway. But this natural use should also seek to attract visitors in order to make best use of the site. I love the idea suggested by ml69 of a controlled-climate dome, but fear that even if such an idea were to be popular amongst the public, it would never get off the ground because of a lack of profitability.

UniSA and the UoA both face a lack of space at times. I anticipate that most of the medical degrees now at City East and Adelaide as well for that matter will shift west over the course of the next few years so this should see some more free rooms. Perhaps keep the most suitable building for this purpose.

Basically, whatever is developed on the site should work in conjunction with the Botanic Gardens, Mad March, and Friday nights in summer.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by how good is he » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 am

I think the biggest problem will be the economic viability of it.....look at the wine centre almost next door.....that cost taxpayers many millions and then it was sold to the Adelaide Uni for like $1 because of the lack of profitability and the basic costs to run/maintain.
I hate to say it but unless there is property sales/leasing involved ie apartments, hotel, retail/shopping it will be hard to make it work financially....

ml69
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by ml69 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 am

how good is he wrote:I think the biggest problem will be the economic viability of it.....look at the wine centre almost next door.....that cost taxpayers many millions and then it was sold to the Adelaide Uni for like $1 because of the lack of profitability and the basic costs to run/maintain.
I hate to say it but unless there is property sales/leasing involved ie apartments, hotel, retail/shopping it will be hard to make it work financially....
You're probably right ...

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#30 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 am

I reckon a hard surfaced open space opening up to the Botanic Gardens would be wonderful,

I would provide the base for the Garden of Unearthly delights and pretty much any even that requires a large portion of open space near the city (think festivals, concerts et al)