[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[SWP] Re: #PRO: Former RAH Site (Design Competition)

#46 Post by monotonehell » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:10 am

pushbutton wrote:
omada wrote:I agree about a Modern Art Gallery, but I am not sure about locking up more valuable space on North Terrace to Universities, my opinion is that this space should cater to a wider demographic.
I agree that it should be something that will be able to be used by a wider demographic. It's prime space on the citys cultural and entertainment boulevard.

No way should this be wasted by giving it to a university.
It's okay. They'll think of something. It'll be installed. Run for a few years. Be closed due to lack of patronage. Then be taken over by the university. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by serca » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Its a big site so I am sure the land could be split up and leased out to different interests....? Maybe a building constructed from stone masons and or a traditional timber framed structure ??.... Would be great to see a Building like this used to house a ANZAC museum! The rest of the land should go to the University IMO. They will utilise the land to its full potential. Adelaide has a further 2kmSQ for entertainment hubs and office blocks. Taking into consideration recent university proposals for the west end of Nth Terrace it could become the most well regarded Education and research precinct/strips in the southern hemisphere. The Gov will lean towards the university expanding given education is now Australia's 3rd biggest export........

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Goodsy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Put a train station under it

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 am

Nathan wrote:
omada wrote:I agree about a Modern Art Gallery, but I am not sure about locking up more valuable space on North Terrace to Universities, my opinion is that this space should cater to a wider demographic.
That said, is it the right location for a modern art gallery? Nestled amongst heritage buildings and the botanic gardens would seem like an odd fit to me.

Personally I think they should gut the Rundle St U-Park - keeping just the lantern facade (and continue it, wrapping around the entire building), and have that become a modern art gallery. It'd be the about the right size, perfect location (the start of Rundle St, but in super close proximity to Rundle Mall and Hindmarsh Sq - and closer to the Art Gallery of SA than the Old RAH site), and remove an eye-sore in the process. Of course it would never happen, car parks are a protected species.

Either that, or as part of Festival Plaza - relating in with the Festival Centre.

If a cultural institution should be at the Old RAH site, then I think it should be one that relates with the surrounds - that includes the Wine Centre and WOMAD in Botanic Park, as well as the gardens, heritage buildings, and the universities.
I agree about it seeming an odd fit in the heritage surrounds, and would rather see a modern art gallery be a use for the new buildings proposed for Festival Plaza.

Without getting too off-topic, although I'm not sure about your idea of utilising the Rundle Street U-park for an art gallery (would the ramps stay, à la Guggenheim NY?), I've often dreamed about that location being given over to a better use. One way I've thought the council might be able to get around the sacred cow of car parking would be if it were to devote the proceeds of the sale of that land towards the redevelopment of Hindmarsh Square and the construction there of an underground car park (perhaps in partnership with the private sector).
serca wrote:Its a big site so I am sure the land could be split up and leased out to different interests....? Maybe a building constructed from stone masons and or a traditional timber framed structure ??.... Would be great to see a Building like this used to house a ANZAC museum! The rest of the land should go to the University IMO. They will utilise the land to its full potential. Adelaide has a further 2kmSQ for entertainment hubs and office blocks. Taking into consideration recent university proposals for the west end of Nth Terrace it could become the most well regarded Education and research precinct/strips in the southern hemisphere. The Gov will lean towards the university expanding given education is now Australia's 3rd biggest export........
What do you mean by an ANZAC Museum? Wouldn't something like that be better suited to the proposed war memorial walk upgrade down Kintore Avenue and at the Torrens Parade Ground?
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:02 am

mattblack wrote:1 x Eden project please. It is awsome.

Educational, architecturally amazing, fun for the whole family (que Pushbutton), adventurous, live music venue, botanic orientated.

http://www.edenproject.com
Still the best idea I've seen. It really does encompass all the ambitions we have for the site.
Keep Adelaide Weird

serca
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by serca » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Yeah good call SRW I didn't realise there was a proposal to upgrade Parade grounds

duke
High Rise Poster!

#52 Post by duke » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 pm

I like the idea of some of the old buildings being used as another public school in the CBD.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

[SWP] #PRO: Former RAH Site (Design Competition)

#53 Post by Dog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm

-
Last edited by Dog on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#54 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:39 pm

Dog wrote:I wonder if anything can be made of the old Jubilee Rail tunnel that almost links the old RAH site with the railway station?
I'm pretty sure it was only a tunnel underneath King William St (which they looked at re-opening when the Festival Centre was built, but ended up filling back in when it was going to be too expensive), as there was a level crossing on Kintore Ave.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#55 Post by Dog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Nathan wrote:
Dog wrote:I wonder if anything can be made of the old Jubilee Rail tunnel that almost links the old RAH site with the railway station?
I'm pretty sure it was only a tunnel underneath King William St (which they looked at re-opening when the Festival Centre was built, but ended up filling back in when it was going to be too expensive), as there was a level crossing on Kintore Ave.
That's a shame, had been hearing of these tunnels for years, had assumed they went much further.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by monotonehell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:52 pm

From what I've read, it was more of a cut and cover ditch than a tunnel. I think urban legend has inflated the size and scale of all of Adelaide's tunnels.

http://www.history.sa.gov.au/chu/progra ... nPaper.pdf
http://jc.people.vee.net/rail/Jubilee_Railway.html
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by Dog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:14 pm

monotonehell wrote:From what I've read, it was more of a cut and cover ditch than a tunnel. I think urban legend has inflated the size and scale of all of Adelaide's tunnels.

http://www.history.sa.gov.au/chu/progra ... nPaper.pdf
http://jc.people.vee.net/rail/Jubilee_Railway.html
Thanks monotonehell that are interesting articles and help put some of the myths to bed but on the other hand i had no idea to the North Tce tunnel.

Cheers

Vee
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by Vee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

Came across these tweets by @JohnRauMP today.
126 designs from around the world submitted for Stage One of (old) RAH design comp. Exceeded all expectations.
Designs unveiled Sept 13.
Melbourne's Flinders Street design comp had only 118 entries. Ours 126.
Looking forward to seeing the designs unveiled.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#59 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:26 pm

I wonder if there's any from the likes of Zaha Hadid, Santiago Calatrava, SKM, Norman Foster?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by Brando » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 pm