[COM] Highway Inn (Stage 2) | 4 Storeys | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Highway Inn (Stage 2) | 4 Storeys | Mixed Use

#1 Post by aussie2000 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:24 pm

First page summary by AtD

6 level, hotel atop a 2 level podium of supermarket, car park, retail and commercial tenancies, behind the Highway Hotel on the south west corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Road.

Original post as follows:
May 28, 2007 03:10pm

A $75 million project to develop a "green urban village" on Anzac Highway has been granted major development status by the State Government.

It is the 23rd project out of 55,000 considered by councils to be granted this status since 2002.

But the project has come under fire from No Pokies MLC Nick Xenophon because the project involves a supermarket on the site alongside a new pokies venue.

Legislation passed by the Olsen government in 1997 prohibits putting a new pokies venue at an existing shopping centre.

The new development proposed by the Palmer Group of companies involves revitalising a huge block of land at the corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Rd.

The project is alongside the redeveloped Highway Inn Hotel and includes residential apartments, a supermarket and up to 1500 sq m of retail outlets, cafes and restaurants along with private and public parking.

The company says the project will incorporate ecologically sustainable development to ensure the highest possible green star rating for energy efficiency and design, stormwater treatment on site, and solar hot water systems.

Should the project be approved, the company believes construction could begin early next year and substantially completed in 2010.

Planning Minister Paul Holloway said the major development status was warranted, given the proposal's significant economic, social and environmental implications.

Palmer Group director Martin Palmer said the project was a "transit oriented" development which would connect the community to various modes of transport including bus, train and tram.

"This means residents will conceivably never need to use a car to gain access to a full range of services," Mr Palmer said.

"We're aiming to create something green, fresh and exciting – an urban village which will house a new community right alongside the key facilities that it needs."

Mr Xenophon foreshadowed private member's legislation to ensure shopping centres could not be built at existing pokies venues.

"The whole rationalise of the legislation introduced by the Olsen government was that having pokies venues in shopping centres where people bought the essentials for living was bad news in terms of fuelling problem gambling," he said.

"If it made sense back then not to put new pokies venues at existing, or new, shopping centres, then surely it makes as much sense not to put new shopping centres next to existing pokies venues."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Is this any good?

Aussie 2000

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#2 Post by Pistol » Mon May 28, 2007 5:27 pm

Not exactly the best spot to own an apartment imo. You are living basically on the corner of Anzac and Marion Road! I hope they build these apartments with double glazing - that road noise would be unbearable.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#3 Post by Howie » Mon May 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Looks like a fairly decent development there, it'll add a bit of class to the area I think.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#4 Post by bmw boy » Mon May 28, 2007 9:55 pm

I think it's good, obviously people who want to buy there will... and those who dont want to, wont...

anything to improve south road's daggy industrail image is a positive for me :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#5 Post by Norman » Mon May 28, 2007 11:00 pm

It's on Anzac Highway/Marion Road, not South Road ;)

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#6 Post by bmw boy » Mon May 28, 2007 11:51 pm

haha sorry, dunnoe what i was thinking there :oops: ... but yes, i meant in regard to its surroundings which would love abit of developement

dunno why i was thinking bout sth rd, sth and marion rds always confuse me lol

thanks for pointing that 1 out lol :lol:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#7 Post by Norman » Tue May 29, 2007 12:06 pm

Most of the apartment buildings on Anzac Highway (further up to the city) are old and outdated... they need to be replaced as well IMO.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#8 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:36 pm

Yippee, finally something that looks nice on anzac!!!

The Highway Inn looks really nice now as well

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#9 Post by rhino » Tue May 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Sounds good to me, although I agree with Nick X about the way Olsen's legislation seems to have been twisted to make a loophole. From memory there is a shopping centre about 50m north of the junction on Marion Rd anyway isn't there?
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#10 Post by Norman » Tue May 29, 2007 2:21 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Yippee, finally something that looks nice on anzac!!!

The Highway Inn looks really nice now as well
Yes, I agree. They have completely revamped it, and it looks better than the dump it looked like before.

I'm yet to go in, but even the outside looks nice and inviting.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#11 Post by bmw boy » Tue May 29, 2007 2:44 pm

rhino wrote:Sounds good to me, although I agree with Nick X about the way Olsen's legislation seems to have been twisted to make a loophole. From memory there is a shopping centre about 50m north of the junction on Marion Rd anyway isn't there?
yeh pretty sure its a coles, just off the corner

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Green village go-ahead

#12 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:52 pm

Plympton really needs something like this to get the ball rolling for the area.

For an area that is so close to glenelg and the city, it doesn't have the appeal that say glenelg has.

This will give the area the improvement it deserves and make it actually feel like your near glenelg as I don't get that feeling atm!!

I hope many more of these will come near the area, as it seems that a lot of plymptonites live in small dwellings, and the ones on offer are a bit shabby.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re:

#13 Post by SRW » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 pm

rhino wrote:From memory there is a shopping centre about 50m north of the junction on Marion Rd anyway isn't there?
Yes, there's a strip of shops opposite the HWY Inn with a Bi-Lo (or maybe a Coles now).
Keep Adelaide Weird

tommy_M
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by tommy_M » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 pm

unfortunatly its competition - there isnt a woolworths between Rundle mall and Glenelg (or Marion), while there is at least 2 coles - why not dip into the market share?

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:21 am

What the heck is happening with this???

Anyone got dates for anything??

I also think apartments expanding further away from glenelg was bound to happen. Anyone reckon the whole south west will end up a mid density area first? I believe so.... North West is starting up now, and could rival??