[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#3421 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 am

Like the photo of the footbridge, puts things in perspective better than a render IMO
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3422 Post by skyliner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 am

Agreed! All turning out very impressive. Want to go to the cricket this season - have to organise.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3423 Post by jk1237 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:47 pm

just for everyone's interest, not this coming weekend, put the weekend after (around 16th Nov) there will be a Sheffield Shield cricket match starting on Wed 13th Nov I think at the Adelaide Oval. The whole 4 days are free entry.

Don't think Ive ever had so much interest in a cricket match ever. Will definitely have a look. I wonder if any of the southern stand will be open. Because almost a third of the bottom tier doesn't even have any of the concrete terraces (because the mob crane bases have been in the way) I doubt it will be open, but you never know

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3424 Post by kingy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:52 pm

jk1237 wrote:just for everyone's interest, not this coming weekend, put the weekend after (around 16th Nov) there will be a Sheffield Shield cricket match starting on Wed 13th Nov I think at the Adelaide Oval. The whole 4 days are free entry.

Don't think Ive ever had so much interest in a cricket match ever. Will definitely have a look. I wonder if any of the southern stand will be open. Because almost a third of the bottom tier doesn't even have any of the concrete terraces (because the mob crane bases have been in the way) I doubt it will be open, but you never know
I'm certain it will only be the Western Stand and Northern seats/hill. They will still be working on the Southern Stand as the match goes on.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#3425 Post by buildit83 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm

jk1237 wrote:just for everyone's interest, not this coming weekend, put the weekend after (around 16th Nov) there will be a Sheffield Shield cricket match starting on Wed 13th Nov I think at the Adelaide Oval. The whole 4 days are free entry.

The southern stand won't be open, its not due for completion till the Ashes in early December.

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3426 Post by joshyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Get a look at those new drop-in pitches though :)

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#3427 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Adelaide Oval surface 'not up to scratch'

FIRST ON 7: Some of the new hallowed turf being delivered to Adelaide Oval is not up to scratch, 7News can reveal.

Flags mark the spots on the pitch where the laser-levelled surface is uneven, putting curators in a race against time to have the surface ready for the Sheffield Shield game next week.

Tonnes of sand are being dumped on the problem areas in a bid to flatten them out.

New pitches going in at Adelaide Oval

As a result, grass in some outer patches of the field will be left uncut for the upcoming Sheffield Shield game against the Western Warriors.

more

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#3428 Post by zippySA » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 pm

F**ing news stations - would rather try and be negative than simply let the people who know what they are doing get on with it.

I hope the crew get the surface top notch and then Channel 7 can be forced to publish an apology - and if they are right, they should still apologise as it is this tall poppy, negative view of everything that has an impact across everyone and stifles everyone.

Bring on the Ashes - this year I may even watch a few balls being played before heading out back for a drink or fifty!

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3430 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:33 am

From the first line its typical Advertiser negative BS:
[picture caption] One of the partially completed Adelaide Oval stands. The stadium is meant to be complete in time for the Ashes in December. Source: News Limited
NO. The Southern Stand was meant to be completed, not the whole stadium. I can see it unfolding now, from the makeshift Torrens bridge to the part finished grandstands, the nay-sayers are going to wind themselves up into a sonic boom of negativity over this for the next month...what a black eye for the stadium's image going forward. Kind of like the reputation the Collins Class Submarines have. At first they were derided as underwater rock-concerts, but over the years they've developed into the worlds best conventional(non-nuclear) submarines, but because of the hail of negative publicity in their initial deployments, their image is forever ruined. wouldn't it be nice if the Advertiser used its editorial power to build up the city of Adelaide and the state of SA?;)
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3431 Post by rev » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 am

Kasey771 wrote:
From the first line its typical Advertiser negative BS:
[picture caption] One of the partially completed Adelaide Oval stands. The stadium is meant to be complete in time for the Ashes in December. Source: News Limited
NO. The Southern Stand was meant to be completed, not the whole stadium. I can see it unfolding now, from the makeshift Torrens bridge to the part finished grandstands, the nay-sayers are going to wind themselves up into a sonic boom of negativity over this for the next month...what a black eye for the stadium's image going forward. Kind of like the reputation the Collins Class Submarines have. At first they were derided as underwater rock-concerts, but over the years they've developed into the worlds best conventional(non-nuclear) submarines, but because of the hail of negative publicity in their initial deployments, their image is forever ruined. wouldn't it be nice if the Advertiser used its editorial power to build up the city of Adelaide and the state of SA?;)
Is there anything wrong in these two sentences?
Adding to concerns, the Oval surface is expected to obtain a 7/10 rating from officials due to unexpected undulations across the arena, which will host Ashes blockbuster from December 5.

Turf contractor StrathAyr is facing questions over the condition of the Oval surface, which was supposed to be finished last month.
How about this one?
A 24-hour work schedule is now in operation.
Or this?
"Ideally, it would have been nice to have the stand completely finished but they have been hit hard by the weather," said SACA chief executive Keith Bradshaw.

"There have been a number of days lost due to inclement weather so the contractors have done a an incredible job to get to where we are now.

"We are doing a staged handover rather than delay the delivery of the stand. As areas are complete, we are doing setups to make it ready for cricket functions."
Bit of bullshit in this one, but the surface is behind schedule..hence why they moved the first SS game of the year to Glenelg..
The main Oval works were scheduled for completion last month but there have been complications with the surface.
This wrong is it?
"The (turf) underlay wasn't consistent in depth all the way through, we had a flat surface that was laser levelled. We are investigating reasons for that at the moment, it is not directly SACA's domain, they are certainly questions being answered at the moment," said Bradshaw.

What this is is basically the typical Advertiser sensationalism.
They take the truth and twist it, sex it up for their dumb ass readers(which sadly is a majority of this state).
The truth is in the quoted parts of my post. There were problems with the turf, and there's been delays due to the weather. One of the main focuses of the article, even with quotes from that dick head opposition leader we have in this state(forget his name, don't care), is the southern stand being delayed. Because apparently when you win state government, you also gain the power to control the weather.
The rest of that article is sensationalism.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#3432 Post by Henwii » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 am

Same, I'll be going on the 13th for sure!

Could be a record crowd for a SS game for 20-30 years.

Henwii
Gold-Member ;)

#3433 Post by Henwii » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:51 am

Haven't been inside the stadium since they blocked it off to the public, so that would be over a month now.

Really looking forward to getting another look.

joshyboy
Gold-Member ;)

#3434 Post by joshyboy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:52 am

Henwii wrote:

Same, I'll be going on the 13th for sure!

Could be a record crowd for a SS game for 20-30 years.
Not with the fact that I doubt the southern stand will be open and all the negative press it's got in the past 48 hours regarding the schedule of works

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3435 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Henwii wrote:Haven't been inside the stadium since they blocked it off to the public, so that would be over a month now.

Really looking forward to getting another look.
I'll go along on that Saturday I reckon to kick off my big day in the city:) Shield Cricket in the day, off to the Rosemont to watch Adelaide United travel to Perth Glory, then I'll head over to Jive to see a band I saw on Rockwiz that sounded interesting:)
All on Public Transport, just like it's supposed to be done:) :cheers: :cheers:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.