Only in Adelaide? Hardly!

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: Only in Adelaide? Hardly!

#46 Post by Maximus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 am

Yet more tales to tell from here in the Bush Capital. (Seriously, this place is like a gold mine for making yourself feel better about some of Adelaide's oddities!)

First there was widespread outrage over the decision to follow SA's lead and ban plastic bags (locals didn't seem to take the news quite so well as those in SA -- perhaps something to do with SA's culture of container deposits and recycling), and now there's been a whole lot of angst about the decision to install floodlights at Manuka Oval. Someone even went so far as to vandalise the wiring in the middle of night during the period of their installation.

However, out of all this, the bit that made me laugh the most was the suggestion that the lights should be retractable! Sound familiar...? :wink:
Dazzled just by looking at the lights
Date February 7, 2013
Ian Warden

Some local burgher-curmudgeons have demanded to know why the lights at Manuka Oval are not retractable so that, when there's nothing going on there, curmudgeons can be given back the views they've known and loved. Masquerading as a curmudgeon, I demanded to know why this hadn't been done. After all, it's what's been done at Lord's.

Full article...
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by AtD » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Word class pedestrian link!
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1367982376553.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1367982376553.jpg (53.3 KiB) Viewed 11073 times

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Ben » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:46 am

We are crying out for a CBD loop and the Perth City Council have one proposed and they are trying to squash it as it will "inconvenience" people...
Perth mall protest

Artist impression of The Max Light Rail scheme

Posted Date: 21/08/2013

By AAP

A plywood train is sitting in Perth's CBD, part of a council protest against government plans to run the real thing down the middle of the city's shopping malls.

The $100,000, 42-metre-long scale model of the dual light-rail line popped up overnight.

And in an inflammatory move, Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi says the model will stay in place for a week to illustrate the inconvenience and potential danger of the plan.

"Once our malls are lost they are lost forever, and we want a city that is welcoming to people," Scaffidi said.

"We don't want people to be be conscious of having to dodge trams, and we don't want the city to lose the special unique elements that give it its character."

The Max Light Rail scheme was one of the centrepieces of the state government's election promises. But funding problems have emerged, on top of the Lord Mayor's opposition to the positioning of the CBD part of the plan.

She'd rather see it run down St Georges Terrace or William St. Transport Minister Troy Buswell has fiercely argued for light rail through the city's shopping malls, saying the council is "strangling" the development of Perth.

The federal government has promised far less funding for the light rail plan than the WA government had hoped, while the coalition has refused to contribute cash to urban rail altogether.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by Maximus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 am

The following article isn't really relevant to this thread, but the cut-out part certainly is. I've seen/heard plenty of people make fun of Adelaide because people always ask where you went to school. But apparently (according to this article) it's a Brisbane 'thing', too!
Does the school you went to affect your adult love life?
Date September 13, 2013 - 8:40AM

I was bemused, and often irritated, when I moved to Brisbane and started dating and people would ask me where I went to school. In Sydney, it’s ‘where do you live?’ In Melbourne, your job seems to matter. But in Brisbane, it was all about the alma mater.

Full article
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Adelaide drivers are the worst in the World? Hardly!

There are crap drivers no matter where you go...

http://youtu.be/0LBfh_uezWo
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

Only in Adelaide? Hardly!

#51 Post by Dog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Gateway to Adelaide.
For years I have driven by, or more often just stuck in traffic by this obscenity, it stands out like dogs balls between Scotty's motel and VW on Main North road. What a poor entrance to the city particularly when stuck at the traffic lights.
People often crap on about the Lecornu site but at least it's neatly fenced and now hedged. God knows who owns this disaster but they should be made to at least give it a coat of paint if they can't afford to knock it down, it even makes the car yards look good! It's hard to believe such a valuable bit of real estate can lay idle for years just falling apart only a km from the CBD, looks more like a dying country town! . Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#52 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

it is a dog of a location and the site access is really crap.

what would you put there?

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Waewick wrote:it is a dog of a location and the site access is really crap.

What you did there, I see it.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Dog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:00 pm

It's a very high profile site, the most logical would be an extension of the current VW/Skoda car yard/Imageshow room or shift VW commercial from across the road. Or an extension to Scotty's motel next door. But like I said just a coat of paint would be a good start!

PeFe

#55 Post by PeFe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:33 am

A drive-in brothel........you wouldn't even have to get out of your car.....

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Will » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 am

I'm posting this article, mainly for the comments people have written on the Courier Mail website. It appears that it isn't just Adelaideans who love to unleash vitriol on their home town.....
It's official Brisbane we're so hip to be (King George) Square that travel bible Lonely Planet names River City nation's coolest

Jeremy Pierce •
The Courier-Mail •
January 07, 2014 12:00AM

IT WOULD be enough to make the southern hipsters choke on their chai lattes.

The latest Australian edition of travel bible Lonely Planet has named Brisbane the country's coolest city.

That's right, the once-boring business centre home to XXXX beer, Broncos and bland office towers is now cooler than Sydney and Melbourne, according to the writers from The Lonely Planet, publishers of the world's most widely-read Australian guidebook.

The new edition, released just before Christmas, describes Brisbane as Australia's "hippest city" and a star on the rise.

Is Brisbane full of hipsters? Have your say below.

"Booming Brisbane is an energetic river town on the way up with an edgy arts scene, pumping nightlife and great coffee and restaurants," the guidebook says.

"Brisbane is Australia's most underrated city.

"Sub-culture undercurrents run deep here with cool bookshops, globally-inspired restaurants and cafes, bars and band rooms aplenty."

The generous praise might mystify Melburnians and stun Sydneysiders, who have long regarded themselves as Australia's true culture vultures and coolest cats. But the praise comes as no surprise to locals in the know.

Emily Nunes, 33, who co-owns newly opened bar and restaurant Papa Jack's with her husband Marco, said Brisbane has "come into its own".

"There are new bars constantly opening," she said. "I do think that people are really striving for high-quality and quirky offerings.

"We have a really good coffee culture, some of the best bartenders in the country, and we've got a fabulous climate."

Bardon hipster Hannah Rowe, 27, said Brisbane was picking up its act.

"I've definitely noticed that in the last year or two there have been so many new bars, restaurants and cool little venues popping up," she said.

"The culture aspect of Brisbane has really come along."

Bar and restaurant owner Adrian Mezzina said it was an exciting time for the river city.

"There's been a lot happen over the last few years," he said.

"It was this big, sleepy town maybe 10 years ago, but you couldn't say that any more.

"Even friends of mine who visit from down south are kind of blown away with what Brisbane has to offer these days, whether it's restaurants, or bars or clubs."

WHAT THE LONELY PLANET SAYS ABOUT BRISBANE:

* Pumping night-life
* Edgy arts scene
* Cool book shops
* Globally-inspired restaurants
* Great cafes
* Abundance of live music and band venues

Queensland Tourism Industry Council CEO Daniel Gschwind said Lonely Planet's verdict reaffirmed what Brisbanites already knew.

"When you have a great place to live, people will want to come and visit you," he said.

"The word is spreading and people are starting to appreciate the different textures and vibes to Brisbane."

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said he was delighted Lonely Planet shared his enthusiasm for Brisbane's fantastic lifestyle and tourism offerings.

"Brisbane is a New World City with an enviable subtropical climate, lively alfresco dining scene, green spaces, world-class art galleries and premier events," Cr Quirk said.

He also said the G20 summit in November would place the world's spotlight on Brisbane.

Waewick

#57 Post by Waewick » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 am

Dog wrote:

It's a very high profile site, the most logical would be an extension of the current VW/Skoda car yard/Imageshow room or shift VW commercial from across the road. Or an extension to Scotty's motel next door. But like I said just a coat of paint would be a good start!

On a major road with no rear access and not a standard allotment, it is the same reason that the site across the road took so long, you have to rely on access on a major road which is something councils and state government really dislike.

I reckon the property would need to bought by the adjoining owners or alternatively if someone was keen on the site they could buy one of the houses behind the site which would hive rear access (and parking)

Waewick

#58 Post by Waewick » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 am

Hooligan wrote:

What you did there, I see it.
:lol:

The thing with property development, is it isn't that easy.

and some sites are just plain old difficult to deal with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:46 am

From the Herald Sun

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:50 pm

People occasionally drive onto the OBahn, followed by the usual wags saying that something unique to the OBahn causes this...
http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014 ... =goldcoast
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.