[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: COM: South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

#1651 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 am

I'm pretty sure he meant Salisbury Highway... Pretty much the same thing really...

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1652 Post by neoballmon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 am

spiller wrote:I use this once per week in both directions on a commute between business locations. Yesterday whilst heading north, it appears this has created a large bottle neck where traffic merges from the Port River expressway onto Port Wakefield Road in a northerly direction. It is a single lane merge. I'm not sure if this has always been a bit of a bottle neck but my thoughts are that the superway is now delivering traffic to Pt.WR at a much faster rate than the old system, and this basic merger cannot keep up. bring on the northern connector?
Hopefully this will accelerate the approval and construction of the northern connector! Although I'm sure DPTI would go for a quick fix and just add an extra Lane on the northern side of Salisbury Highway for the 300 or so metres before the turnoff and gave a second Lane feeding into PWR.

How is traffic coming the other way, after turning off from PWR and having to merge to one Lane so soon after the lights? Has this increased a lot as well, because this was always a pretty busy section to begin with.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1653 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:18 pm

The Torrens River to Torrens Road bottleneck needs to be fixed first.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#1654 Post by spiller » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm

neoballmon wrote:
spiller wrote:I use this once per week in both directions on a commute between business locations. Yesterday whilst heading north, it appears this has created a large bottle neck where traffic merges from the Port River expressway onto Port Wakefield Road in a northerly direction. It is a single lane merge. I'm not sure if this has always been a bit of a bottle neck but my thoughts are that the superway is now delivering traffic to Pt.WR at a much faster rate than the old system, and this basic merger cannot keep up. bring on the northern connector?
Hopefully this will accelerate the approval and construction of the northern connector! Although I'm sure DPTI would go for a quick fix and just add an extra Lane on the northern side of Salisbury Highway for the 300 or so metres before the turnoff and gave a second Lane feeding into PWR.

How is traffic coming the other way, after turning off from PWR and having to merge to one Lane so soon after the lights? Has this increased a lot as well, because this was always a pretty busy section to begin with.
Its not too bad coming back the other way because there is a traffic light there and there are two merging lanes onto the Sailsbury Highway (sorry this is what I meant in my earlier post, not Port River Expwy (aren,t they basically the same road anyway?).

metro
Legendary Member!

#1655 Post by metro » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:38 pm

crawf wrote:The Torrens River to Torrens Road bottleneck needs to be fixed first.
Nothing will happen unless the Infrastructure Prime Minister gives our supposedly 'illegitimate government' some funds to do it. Abbott will give SA nothing, but promise everything in the lead up to the 2016 election. :roll:

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1656 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:47 pm

metro wrote:
crawf wrote:The Torrens River to Torrens Road bottleneck needs to be fixed first.
Nothing will happen unless the Infrastructure Prime Minister gives our supposedly 'illegitimate government' some funds to do it. Abbott will give SA nothing, but promise everything in the lead up to the 2016 election. :roll:
I think we'll get something....it will just be tied into tolls....

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1657 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Waewick wrote:
metro wrote:
I think we'll get something....it will just be tied into tolls....
We will also have to sell SA Water.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#1658 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:42 pm

monotonehell wrote:
metro wrote:
We will also have to sell SA Water.
I really can't see them enforcing that. It doesn't make sense even from a national liberal POV.

warpspeed
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1659 Post by warpspeed » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:45 pm

spiller wrote:
neoballmon wrote:

Its not too bad coming back the other way because there is a traffic light there and there are two merging lanes onto the Sailsbury Highway (sorry this is what I meant in my earlier post, not Port River Expwy (aren,t they basically the same road anyway?).
Yes they are, he was just being unnecessarily anal-retentive, we all knew what you meant.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#1660 Post by alexczarn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:25 pm

What I don't get is, why didn't they extend the superway over the Regency Road intersection? I know it was a big money thing; but, *IF* and *WHEN* they do the Torrens to Torrens, the Regency Road intersection is going to just become the new bottleneck. Especially if they want a non-stop South Road.

(Just my 2 cents worth. I drive that route every day Tuesday-Friday to get to university.)

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#1661 Post by spiller » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:58 pm

^^^ money. The elevated section terminates over 1km before the regency road intersection. We're talking 30% extra on top of a project that almost blew out to a billion $.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1662 Post by neoballmon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

alexczarn wrote:What I don't get is, why didn't they extend the superway over the Regency Road intersection? I know it was a big money thing; but, *IF* and *WHEN* they do the Torrens to Torrens, the Regency Road intersection is going to just become the new bottleneck. Especially if they want a non-stop South Road.
It has been mentioned, either earlier in this thread or the other North-South Corridor one, that this intersection was left out of this and the Torrens-Torrens project, (as well as Torrens Road) because in the final plan, they will not be interchanges, and they will simply tunnel under these roads without access points. But they aren't going to close off access to these roads until they have a better local road section of South Road, separated from the 'North South Motorway'
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1663 Post by drsmith » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:34 pm

While now a generation ago and over a river, the construction of the Brisbane Gateway Bridge in the 80's had some obvious similarities with that of the Superway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz4j7Rifbg4

Parts 2 and 3 are also available.

There were no bright coloured safety vests in those days.

Aidan

#1664 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:52 pm

neoballmon wrote:
alexczarn wrote:What I don't get is, why didn't they extend the superway over the Regency Road intersection? I know it was a big money thing; but, *IF* and *WHEN* they do the Torrens to Torrens, the Regency Road intersection is going to just become the new bottleneck. Especially if they want a non-stop South Road.
It has been mentioned, either earlier in this thread or the other North-South Corridor one, that this intersection was left out of this and the Torrens-Torrens project, (as well as Torrens Road) because in the final plan, they will not be interchanges, and they will simply tunnel under these roads without access points. But they aren't going to close off access to these roads until they have a better local road section of South Road, separated from the 'North South Motorway'
That's the first I've heard of leaving out the Regency Road intersection for that reason, and I don't believe it. Regency Road is vital for accessing the rail terminal. They wouldn't quite be stupid enough to leave an intersection with it out of the plans like they intend to with Torrens Road.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rhino

#1665 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:13 am

Yes, I'm with Aidan on this one. I did hear that there would not be an interchange at Torrens Road, however. That is folly too, IMO.
cheers,
Rhino