[COM] 20HS | 53/49m | 15/14lvls | Hotel/Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM] 20HS | 53/49m | 15/14lvls | Hotel/Residential

#1 Post by Pistol » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:04 am

HINDMARSH Square is set to undergo a significant facelift with plans for a 15-storey hotel and 14-storey apartment complex on the old Wallis cinema site.
The proposal, unveiled to The Advertiser , has been lodged with Adelaide City Council with an estimated value of $140 million.
Named 20 Hindmarsh Square, the project comprises two towers over a three-level podium, including ground-floor retail facilities.
The hotel will include 250 rooms and will be run by an international chain, yet to be revealed.
The adjoining apartment complex will have 66 luxury residences.
Hotel and resident facilities will include a "resort-style" day spa with gymnasium, pool and treatment rooms, as well as conference and meeting rooms.
Hines Property director James Hines said the project would complement three other major new buildings planned for Hindmarsh Square - its Conservatory on Hindmarsh project and Urban Construct's two Aurora on Pirie towers - which could see $420 million worth of investment in the square over the next three years.
The Hines Group purchased the Wallis Academy Cinema site from owners Bob Lorna and Michelle Wallis earlier this year. The cinema complex will close on August 8.
"It is a very sensitive development, and a lot of thought has been put into what's being proposed," Mr Hines said.
"There is an ongoing demand for quality apartments in the CBD and this project will transform this corner of the square and continue to build the reputation of Hindmarsh Square as Adelaide's premium residential and commercial precinct.
"Adelaide City Council and the market are both telling us that more apartments and hotel accommodation are needed in the city, and the demand experienced for our recent projects has been testament to this."
Construction of the development is expected to start in early 2008 and be completed by the end of 2009.
Hines also have a website for this, but not much more information there than was explained by the Advertiser.
http://www.hines.com.au/20hisq.html

Render :
2007/09/05 (Final)

2009/07/17

2009/08/06
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: $140m city square apartment complex

#2 Post by Pistol » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:29 am

Hindmarsh Square is THE place to be in the city at the moment! Aurora, COH and now this project. Along with the new playground/art installation that is currently being built, it seems to be alive down in this part of town. And as I live in Bent St Apts I say bring it on :D
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Pants » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:59 am

Sad to see the academy go, but this looks good.

The Hines Group generally carry through with their proposals (Conservatory is getting built, right?) and given the location, I'd say there's a fair chance to this being built.

Good to see a hotel being part of the proposal too. I hope the blank white panel on the facade of the building on the left is for signage, because it doesn't mesh well with the rest of it.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Pants » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:05 am

One thing though, I understand that we're getting all these blank western walls for environmental rating reasons (naturally keeping the buildings cool by blocking out the heat etc, etc), but surely they'd think of another way of achieving whatever green star rating they're after if they're building a hotel east of the CBD and a windowless western wall would rule out marketable city views. :?:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:33 am

Great news!

Looking at the render, I'd say the blank western wall is because it's right on top of an existing property.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Mants » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:57 am

it looks very nice

i can see a resemblance between this and the building next to the ConH site. The Residence i think it is called.

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#7 Post by Maximus_Marc » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Hindmarsh is gonna be like Victoria square soon will high rise buildings surround the square :D
Last edited by Maximus_Marc on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Pikey » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:17 pm

Doesn't look too bad!

However it would be good if developers decided to push the envelope a bit more, like the Pirie St Tower.

Still, nice height, and will extend the skyline east (along with Tivoli) towards the east when viewed from Lights lookout.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by skyliner » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Nice find Pistol78. As has been expressed, Hindmarsh Sq. is really moving. COH and Aurora both impressive architecturally. This one will give a high rise surround as is happening in Vic. Sg. Go for it Adelaide!!!

As I mentioned at the end of 2006, HIGH RISE resi development had to come to Adelaide due to the trends here in the east. More will come and higher. Ironically, Hindmarsh Sq. will be a good place for a theatre considering the nature of the buildings.

As Pants mentioned, all these blank walls not so impressive - aesthetically. Will create a wierd impression from the airport - you don't want a great series of wall appearing like something of a fortress to great tourists etc. Needs neon advertising or something similar at night to create an attraction instead. (like the tree on Santos).
Jack.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Proposal: 20 Hindmarsh Square (15 lvl Hotel, 14 lvl Apartmen

#10 Post by Will » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:54 pm

The buildings look nice but not spectacular. However it is a vast improvement over the brown cinema complex.

I really like the view from the Hungry Jacks carpark, so I can just imagine how great the views will be from this complex.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Bulldozer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:31 pm

I'd say the blank wall is there because it's right on the boundary and they're expecting another tall building to get built on the adjacent site.

These apartments will be hot property. Hindmarsh Square is the most picturesque square in the city. I wonder if they'll be changing the road access to that corner with this development?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Regarding the western wall, there could be plans for a development next to that building, known as The City Block.

Great looking design, would work very well in Hindmarsh Square. Would love to see a flyover and view from the north side (rundle street).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Norman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:57 pm

How many levels is the current building?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AG » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:37 am

normangerman wrote:How many levels is the current building?
The existing cinema is two floors. The neighbouring building which would also need to be demolished is also two floors AFAIK.

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by alfer7_3 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:50 am

wtf, this apartment is gonna be blocked by the city centre buiding from the airport