News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2521 Post by obituary resider » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:57 pm

get rid of the governor all together ;) On another note, that memorial walk looks fantastic, but for the quite nasty gradient that may deter a lot of pedestrians.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#2522 Post by Mants » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:56 pm

obituary resider wrote:get rid of the governor all together ;) On another note, that memorial walk looks fantastic, but for the quite nasty gradient that may deter a lot of pedestrians.
nasty gradient? unless you're a complete invalid, there's no was kintore avenue's gradient could possibly be a deterrent.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2523 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi David,

Can you please advise if the Adelaide City Council has any further plans to upgrade the Pulteney Street / Rundle Mall / Rundle Street intersection? I seem to recall a few years ago there was plans to have some sort of advertising / billboards / lighting display featured on the facade of the Target carpark, in addition to the Rundle Lantern display. Is this all but dead in the water, or still some chance of eventuating?

I personally would like to see something go up on the Target facade - make it a bit Times Sqaure-sy.

Also - what is the progress update on the cantenary lighting system that was meant to be installed along Rundle Mall? I understand that some of the building owners objected to having the wall mounts for the lighting system attached to their buildings. Are negotiations still underway regarding this, or are there now revised plans for an alternative lighting system? The current 'temporary' floodlights in place are starting to look a bit too... permanent.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#2524 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Hi David,

Can you please advise if the Adelaide City Council has any further plans to upgrade the Pulteney Street / Rundle Mall / Rundle Street intersection? I seem to recall a few years ago there was plans to have some sort of advertising / billboards / lighting display featured on the facade of the Target carpark, in addition to the Rundle Lantern display. Is this all but dead in the water, or still some chance of eventuating?

I personally would like to see something go up on the Target facade - make it a bit Times Sqaure-sy
Wasn't that just one of the concepts floating around before it settled on to the Rundle Lantern?

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2525 Post by Matt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I thought so too. I think Rundle Lantern is/was the finished product.

Also keen for an update on the Mall's proposed catenary lighting. To me, it was one of the more exciting parts of the proposal.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2526 Post by david » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Council has no plans to add to the Rundle Lantern. We did it on that car park because we own it!
I imagine that Council would support any quality proposal from the owners of other property at that intersection.

As for the catenary lighting - I too am looking forward to that. We have many challenges in the detail design particularly with engineering the fixing points on the buildings.

Some owners were reluctant to have a fixing on their building and in other cases there were real problems in getting fixing points where the structure was strong enough to take the tension loads.

At the two ends of the Mall we have had to resort to the use of pylons/poles to support the cables and these are now being manufactured (the main pylon at the KW St end will be 17 metres tall, about 600mm diameter and will become a major landmark feature of the Mall, located just east of the podium.

If all goes well we should hope to see the first stage of the catenary lighting going up in about 3 months'time.

David

[Shuz]

#2527 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:58 pm

david wrote: At the two ends of the Mall we have had to resort to the use of pylons/poles to support the cables and these are now being manufactured (the main pylon at the KW St end will be 17 metres tall, about 600mm diameter and will become a major landmark feature of the Mall, located just east of the podium.
Well, that should look attractive... :shock:

Otherwise, thank you for the update.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2528 Post by jk1237 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 pm

There is a busy pedestrian only old shopping street in Vienna that has cantenary lighting with lots of pretty patterns and special effects. Hopefully this will be as good

david
High Rise Poster!

#2529 Post by david » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:47 pm

I hope so too, but I doubt it!

Initially it will be basic high level lighting.

It will be up to the Mall Authority to make use of the basic cabling system to inject colour and creativity to the system

The trouble is that by the time we have met all the Australian Standards for lighting and complied with all the safety requirements I fear that there will be little opportunity to be very creative!

Incidentally, the pylon/poles I referred to will I hope not be as bad as Shuz seems to envisage!

David

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#2530 Post by Joelmark » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:38 am

Hi David,

Can I please ask, whilst we're on the topic of the Mall upgrade, are there any plans to install some low-level planters or flowers tubs in the Mall, like the previous two "Mall versions". On the whole, I think the new look is much better, but have thought it could do with some more colour.

On that note too, in the original plan, an interactive fountain was supposed to be put where the old fountain currently is...with the old fountain staying, is the interactive fountain still being placed in the Mall? There appears on the PDF concept pages to be something resembling as such just past the Richmond Hotel, but I can't quite make it out.

Many thanks, Joel.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2531 Post by david » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Joelmark,

To answer your questions:

There are no plans for low-level planters as you suggest but it is an idea worth considering. The main aim was to 'declutter' the Mall as much as possible. We are creating a 3 metre wide activation zone on either side of the Mall (3 metres out from the shop front line) running full length which is intended for all kinds of 'pop-up' activities and features and this strip might well include occasional planters in the future. I suggest you pass your idea on to the Rundle Mall Authority who are responsible for this kind of activity.

You are right, the early plans did include an interactive water play feature in place of the old traditional fountain. However, when it came to the details of the design, there was a lot of pressure to retain the old fountain (which we are doing) and a fair bit of opposition to the idea of an interactive water feature because parents wouldn't want wet kids in the Mall (unlike Moseley Square where kids might well be in bathers) and shopkeepers weren't too enthusiastic about wet feet running in and out of their shops, which could also create some serious slip hazards on wet paving.

Risk Managers and Practicalities Rule Again!

David

david
High Rise Poster!

#2532 Post by david » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:37 am

Notes from Councillor David Plumridge AM - Issue No 110

- Does Adelaide Welcome Refugees?

- Budget Time Again

- Bikeways

Decisions from Council Meeting 22 April 2014
Notes from Councillor Issue 110.pdf
(150.35 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
David Plumridge AM
Area Councillor,
Adelaide City Councillor

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2533 Post by mshagg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Walked past the frome street bikeway on my way to the medical centre yesterday and must say it's looking fantastic. Council should be congratulated for persisting in the face of the vehicle-centric prism through which so many seem to view the world.

If people are that concerned about congestion on frome st, might I suggest that pultney, hutt, KW and morphett streets are already far better routes for traversing north/south through the CBD?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2534 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 pm

mshagg wrote:Walked past the frome street bikeway on my way to the medical centre yesterday and must say it's looking fantastic. Council should be congratulated for persisting in the face of the vehicle-centric prism through which so many seem to view the world.

If people are that concerned about congestion on frome st, might I suggest that pultney, hutt, KW and morphett streets are already far better routes for traversing north/south through the CBD?
^ This. Please let's not see a rerun of the Sturt Street fiasco where good sense gave into ignorant panic. Segregated bike lanes are a good idea. In-gutter bike lanes are a dangerous folly that has somehow become the standard.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2535 Post by ml69 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:41 am

David

Totally support the Frome St bikeway as the major north/south bikeway route.

Is there a proposed bikeway route going east/west in the CBD? Perhaps Franklin/Flinders St?