News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2581 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Whilst Adelaide United have the advantage of a smaller venue that will fill out and provide a better game environment for anyone in attendance. There is no denying that Hindmarsh is a mediocre venue, and no minor investments into the facility are going to change that. Three out of the four stands aren't covered, the pitch only just meet size regulation, and the venue is poorly served in the way of surrounding parking and public transport.

If I didn't know any better the state government were trying their absolute best to insure the stunt of Football's growth in our state. They've not sought to arrange better options for parking or public transport, they've injected so little finance into the maintenance of the facility that it remains in the state it was left when it had a moderate upgrade in 2000, and they've turned a blind eye to repeated attempts from AU to take control of the venue which as a result AU haven't been able to prioritise what they see as necessary for improvements to the venue. The morons in the top job can argue that Adelaide Oval can act as Adelaide's larger venue for football marches, and international rugby/football, but that doesn't cut it; whilst AO is a fantastic venue, it's not suited for the sport.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#2582 Post by SuperEgz » Fri May 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but Ill post it here anyway. What does everyone think of this idea?
Committee for Adelaide calls for four super councils focused on ‘super centres’ of urban development

City Editor Tim Williams
The Advertiser
May 02, 2014 4:22PM

ADELAIDE should have as few as four councils governing “super centres” of urban development in the inner city, Elizabeth, Port Adelaide and Marion, a Committee for Adelaide report says.

The Agenda For Growth report says the goal of 14 major residential and commercial hubs around transport centres, envisioned in the State Government’s 30-Year Plan for Adelaide, is unrealistic because of lack of growth and demand.

“We need to radically reshape our city. We can’t spread investment across 14 urban

centres. We need new investment in four ‘super centres’ where infrastructure is already in place,” the report says.

Investment could then be made in “high speed, fixed line” transport links between

the major centres, supported by radial bus networks around the centres.

The concentration on a few key areas would allow for a “more reliable pipeline of infrastructure,

more focused on key centres, boosting the opportunity for institutional funds to take a stake and share the investment and return”.

The Committee for Adelaide is a not-for-profit network of South Australians with a high profile board including businessman Colin Goodall, former integrated design commissioner Tim Horton, lobbyist Ian Smith and broadcaster Amanda Blair.

Mr Horton said Adelaide needed a revised 30-Year Plan because there was “not much growth and not much demand”.

“Modest (and) delivered is better than utopian not delivered,” he said of the need to scale back the number of development centres.

The report says Adelaide has too many struggling councils and Mr Horton said all the inner-suburban ones could merge with Adelaide City Council.

“We need to rethink the model of local government to boost its own revenue, improve services in their communities, professionalise the operations provided by councils and create a reliable pipeline of infrastructure that attracts investors,” the report says.

It also says SA needs a radically overhauled migration strategy to boost population and capitalise on the connections of our “diaspora” around the world to raise investment.

Nathan

#2583 Post by Nathan » Fri May 02, 2014 10:18 pm

I agree with the notion, but it won't happen. I believe Yarwood raised a similar suggestion early in his term and very quickly met opposition from councillors from both the ACC and other councils.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2584 Post by Vee » Sat May 03, 2014 7:55 am

Great set of pics of the new ACC City Library in this article by Brett Williamson, ABC891
These photos provide a snapshot of the range of facilities, technological mix, general ambience and use of the new City Library.
Well done, ACC.

Libraries evolve to entice a new generation of users
Adelaide City Council's newly opened City Library is a prime example of how libraries in general are evolving to serve this generation's users.

In the age of the internet, libraries were expected to fade in to non-existence, but by evolving with the requirements of modern users, and offering services many would not expect, libraries are enjoying a rejuvenation of visitor numbers.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014 ... 996453.htm

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2585 Post by david.c-s » Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 am

I am assuming that Cr Hamilton is aware that us City Residents vote the mayor in and many of us don't drive and park in the city ... http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south- ... public_rss
Using Tapatalk

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2586 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 05, 2014 12:22 am

david.c-s wrote:I am assuming that Cr Hamilton is aware that us City Residents vote the mayor in and many of us don't drive and park in the city ... http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south- ... public_rss
Interesting point. Although don't business owners get a part of the vote?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2587 Post by david.c-s » Mon May 05, 2014 8:02 am

monotonehell wrote:
david.c-s wrote:I am assuming that Cr Hamilton is aware that us City Residents vote the mayor in and many of us don't drive and park in the city ... http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south- ... public_rss
Interesting point. Although don't business owners get a part of the vote?
They can see http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/your ... elections/

But there would be a minority who would have an "axe to grind" good example are the positive comments coming out of Nth Adelaide businesses regarding event parking ... I think he may have missed the point a little and ego has him appealing to the masses rather than the council electorate
Using Tapatalk

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2588 Post by mshagg » Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 am

Cr Hamilton could save a lot of money on election materials if he were simply to campaign on the basis of "Let's take Adelaide back 20, no make it 30 years".

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#2589 Post by obituary resider » Mon May 05, 2014 4:52 pm

based on that article the guy doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.. can we find more information about his policies anywhere?

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#2590 Post by SuperEgz » Mon May 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Why does he want to stop work on Vic Square and Rundle Mall? Leaving those projects unfinished would look terrible. Also I am alarmed by some of the comments. One person thinks that getting rid of the tram would improve the city. I hope he was joking.

ChillyPhilly

#2591 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Whilst Adelaide United have the advantage of a smaller venue that will fill out and provide a better game environment for anyone in attendance. There is no denying that Hindmarsh is a mediocre venue, and no minor investments into the facility are going to change that. Three out of the four stands aren't covered, the pitch only just meet size regulation, and the venue is poorly served in the way of surrounding parking and public transport.

If I didn't know any better the state government were trying their absolute best to ensure the stunt of Football's growth in our state. They've not sought to arrange better options for parking or public transport, they've injected so little finance into the maintenance of the facility that it remains in the state it was left when it had a moderate upgrade in 2000, and they've turned a blind eye to repeated attempts from AU to take control of the venue which as a result AU haven't been able to prioritise what they see as necessary for improvements to the venue. The morons in the top job can argue that Adelaide Oval can act as Adelaide's larger venue for football matches, and international rugby/football, but that doesn't cut it; whilst AO is a fantastic venue, it's not suited for the sport.
A roof is the number one priority for any upgrade to Hindmarsh, and yes, believe it or not, the State Government has already once stood in the way of that. AUFC requested the old covers from Adelaide Oval during demolition work for use at Hindmarsh, conceding that a bit of engineering work would make them fit. However, the State Government said no, despite giving the old seats away to local Aussie Rules clubs.

Prior to the start of the 2013-14 season AU were in negotiations with the State Government over providing free buses to Hindmarsh, a la Footy Express. Evidently and unsurprisingly (aware that I sound cynical), this didn't eventuate.

A recent development in the to-be renewed contract with Hindmarsh is that the AEC have stipulated that all regular season matches AU plays for 2014-15 must be at Hindmarsh, throwing away the possibility of having a blockbuster at Adelaide Oval. The fixturing for next season is due out this month, but I know that it isn't finalised yet.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2592 Post by Vee » Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 am

mshagg wrote:Cr Hamilton could save a lot of money on election materials if he were simply to campaign on the basis of "Let's take Adelaide back 20, no make it 30 years".
Thanks for the link, comments from everyone. Agree with the taking us back .. sentiments.
I don't live 'in the city' so I can't vote in the ACC elections but I'm seriously concerned that the direction of the new ACC could be switched so horrendously backwards if Cr Hamilton was to succeed in the Mayoral elections.

The City plays such an important role for the state, for all of us, and this election could be decided by so few - business owners, residents, a North Adelaide residents lobby group etc. Given the fairly low voter turnout/participation in Council elections, it could be decided by a powerful lobby group or 'white anting' campaign/whingeing media.

Cr Hamilton has a big agenda to improve the city - not!
What I gathered from Cr Hamilton's 'vision'/action plan for the city and North Adelaide:
Plant plane trees as signature trees, damn the bikes, don't get in the way of more cars and congestion.
Anti 40 km/hr speed limits and will 'scale back' the bike lanes and cap parking fines.

He hates the Vic Sq and Rundle Mall redevelopments and wants to buy/compulsorily acquire the former LeCornu site for a town square (?) and an underground car park with an extra 3 levels above ground (plus apartments) at the rear. Hmmm.

I wonder did he even attend any of the hugely successful events (TDU, Fringe Croquet Club), Fork in the Road, Tasting Australia) in the redeveloped Vic Sq this year. Feel/see the vibe in the city?

Extra lighting for park lands roads (no brainer), more irrigation, garden beds and flowers plus undergrounding more powerlines add to his 'vision'.

So largely anti-progress, fixated on cars and more cars, ignores cyclists, no big ideas but a thumping big (1,000 cars) car park in Nth Adelaide (Council business? Budget?)

Please, Stephen Yarwood save us from turning back the clock!

Another view of Cr Hamilton's 'Action Plan' via @Twillyon
http://twitter.com/Twillyon/status/4627 ... 28/photo/1

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#2593 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm

Sounds like he wants to Americanize us. Look at cities like Dallas, Houston, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, etc on Google Maps - with a few exceptions, most American cities gave in to the car with useless public transport, freeways and bypasses, and flattened buildings for parking. As a result there are a lot of very dull, hollowed out cities with no street life or energy about them. I am scared that if one of the other candidates win the election, with what they are proposing we'd end up like that.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Mants
Legendary Member!

#2594 Post by Mants » Tue May 06, 2014 6:11 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:Sounds like he wants to Americanize us. Look at cities like Dallas, Houston, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, etc on Google Maps - with a few exceptions, most American cities gave in to the car with useless public transport, freeways and bypasses, and flattened buildings for parking. As a result there are a lot of very dull, hollowed out cities with no street life or energy about them. I am scared that if one of the other candidates win the election, with what they are proposing we'd end up like that.
I am in no way an advocate for Cr Hamilton, but this comment is completely false, bordering on paranoia. The carpark he proposes to build is on a lot which has stood vacant for longer than many South Australians have been alive, and would in no way "hollow out" the area any more than it already is.

Having said that, I do not believe a town square (whatever that implies) should be built on this block either. The Brougham Gardens are only a few of minutes stroll away and I honestly believe that more retail/restaurants along this part of O'Connell Street are vital in linking both segments of the road.

If a more appropriate vision for the site was proposed, I would support the council acquiring this land.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2595 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Mants wrote:
MessiahAndrw wrote:Sounds like he wants to Americanize us. Look at cities like Dallas, Houston, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, etc on Google Maps - with a few exceptions, most American cities gave in to the car with useless public transport, freeways and bypasses, and flattened buildings for parking. As a result there are a lot of very dull, hollowed out cities with no street life or energy about them. I am scared that if one of the other candidates win the election, with what they are proposing we'd end up like that.
I am in no way an advocate for Cr Hamilton, but this comment is completely false, bordering on paranoia. The carpark he proposes to build is on a lot which has stood vacant for longer than many South Australians have been alive, and would in no way "hollow out" the area any more than it already is.

Having said that, I do not believe a town square (whatever that implies) should be built on this block either. The Brougham Gardens are only a few of minutes stroll away and I honestly believe that more retail/restaurants along this part of O'Connell Street are vital in linking both segments of the road.

If a more appropriate vision for the site was proposed, I would support the council acquiring this land.
I think you misread what MessiahAndrw wrote. He wasn't talking about simply the one development, he was talking about the effect of the whole Hamilton package.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.