[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: COM: South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

#1681 Post by Aidan » Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 pm

spiller wrote:^^ Being a deterrent for speeding and improving road safety do not always go hand in hand. in fact most of the time they dont.
If the speed limit set is the appropriate one for the conditions, they generally do. Do you think most of our speed limits are inappropriate?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1682 Post by Wayno » Mon May 05, 2014 8:48 pm

I figure the reason for the majority of (urban) speeding fines is not a direct concern about the modest increased level of speed per se. Rather that having a few cars traveling at higher speeds than most increases the risk of accidents occurring. Think about it. If all cars accelerated at the same rate, peaked at the same speed, indicated early, braked consistently, etc, the number of accidents would decrease. It's about removing the element of surprise.

Same applies to people who drive considerably slower than the limit. They surprise and cause accidents, but unfortunately are rarely penalised. Damn those people in hats!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1683 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 am

Wayno wrote:I figure the reason for the majority of (urban) speeding fines is not a direct concern about the modest increased level of speed per se. Rather that having a few cars traveling at higher speeds than most increases the risk of accidents occurring. Think about it. If all cars accelerated at the same rate, peaked at the same speed, indicated early, braked consistently, etc, the number of accidents would decrease. It's about removing the element of surprise.

Same applies to people who drive considerably slower than the limit. They surprise and cause accidents, but unfortunately are rarely penalised. Damn those people in hats!
If you're surprised about something, and then do not have enough time to react, you're driving too fast.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#1684 Post by spiller » Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Aidan wrote:
spiller wrote:^^ Being a deterrent for speeding and improving road safety do not always go hand in hand. in fact most of the time they dont.
If the speed limit set is the appropriate one for the conditions, they generally do. Do you think most of our speed limits are inappropriate?
Yes, I do. There's no need for half of the changes of speed limit we have. 50-60-40-50-60-50 and so on. It's ridiculous and blatantly done to increase revenue

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1685 Post by Wayno » Tue May 06, 2014 8:27 pm

monotonehell wrote:If you're surprised about something, and then do not have enough time to react, you're driving too fast.
Yes, one of the 2 is driving too fast in comparison to the other. Regardless, both the Supriser and Surprisee are at risk...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan

#1686 Post by Nathan » Tue May 06, 2014 10:08 pm

spiller wrote:
Aidan wrote:
Yes, I do. There's no need for half of the changes of speed limit we have. 50-60-40-50-60-50 and so on. It's ridiculous and blatantly done to increase revenue
But it's not like they randomly change (roadworks aside). It's pretty obvious that arterials are 60, local roads are 50 unless sign posted as 40. It's not hard to understand.

rhino

#1687 Post by rhino » Thu May 08, 2014 10:35 am

Nathan wrote: It's pretty obvious that arterials are 60, local roads are 50 unless sign posted as 40. It's not hard to understand.

Sadly this is not the case. Some arterial roads seem to suddenly change to 50km/hr because they pass through a "village centre".

Up in the Onkaparinga Valley, where I live, the speed limit on the open road south of Woodside is 80, but north of Woodside is 100. The only difference in road conditions is the traffic volume. Verdun, Balhannah, Oakbank and Woodside are all 60 zones, but the middle of Balhannah and Woodside are 50 zones. And the arterials heading off to Littlehampton, Uraidla, Lenswood and Nairne are 50, then 80 further out. There really is no consistency, you just have to be aware of the speed limit. This increases the feeling that it's more about revenue than safety.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#1688 Post by rhino » Thu May 08, 2014 12:03 pm

There's an article on page 6 of the Tiser today regarding the fact that the radars that generate the most revenue are not in or near the black spots that were defined by the State Government, concluding that they are there for raising revenue, not making the road safer.
cheers,
Rhino

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#1689 Post by spiller » Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 pm

i read a good article a few years ago about a US politician who had red-light and speed cameras outlawed in Georgia because they were found to do nothing to increase road safety. Here's an idea...increase the length of the yellow light by 1 second and watch the accident rate fall. this also somewhat rubs out the need to monitor vehicle speeds through intersections.

oh wait, what happens to the revenue.

Nathan

#1690 Post by Nathan » Fri May 09, 2014 2:14 pm

spiller wrote:i read a good article a few years ago about a US politician who had red-light and speed cameras outlawed in Georgia because they were found to do nothing to increase road safety. Here's an idea...increase the length of the yellow light by 1 second and watch the accident rate fall. this also somewhat rubs out the need to monitor vehicle speeds through intersections.

oh wait, what happens to the revenue.
If you increase the length of yellow light, then people will just adapt and you'll get just as many people pushing their luck to make it before the red.

ChillyPhilly

#1691 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 09, 2014 8:55 pm

You'd anticipate that only the idiots or people in a rush would do that if the yellow time was extended.

Sensible drivers would have more time to stop, and it's one less sensible driver dead or injured at the wheel and one less accident.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1692 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:You'd anticipate that only the idiots or people in a rush would do that if the yellow time was extended.

Sensible drivers would have more time to stop, and it's one less sensible driver dead or injured at the wheel and one less accident.
Have you ever stood at an intersection and watched? Most people push it as far as they can - both sides of the cycle.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SBD

#1693 Post by SBD » Fri May 09, 2014 10:57 pm

I sometimes think "oops. I probably should have stopped instead of going through that amber" then see two more cars in my mirror follow me round the right turn. Longer amber would just make it three or four.

Nathan

#1694 Post by Nathan » Fri May 09, 2014 11:26 pm

SBD wrote:I sometimes think "oops. I probably should have stopped instead of going through that amber" then see two more cars in my mirror follow me round the right turn. Longer amber would just make it three or four.
All. The. Time.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1695 Post by rev » Thu May 29, 2014 10:48 am

The areas that were leaking water below onto South Road, are now leaking even worse it seems.
The pipes/plumbing work underneath the elevated sections is still visible. As if they weren't put inside the huge sections they lifted up into place which are hollow on the inside and can easily fit over twenty people in there..