Footbrawl (pointless arguments about the AFL)

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Footbrawl (pointless arguments about the AFL)

#1 Post by Waewick » Tue May 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Phantom wrote:
Waewick wrote:I think you'll notice that the Crows have only mentioned not making as much....

I don't think they are feeling the pinch, it is business as usual I would suggest.
I really didn't think running a football club that doesn't have to pay for a home ground and only travels out of Adelaide once a year was as financially crippling as they make it seem. :P
(Unrelated - Where does Adelaide's SANFL team train at?)

GHS, you forgot to mention the Cricket World Cup in early 2015, too. :banana: I'd be severely disappointed if the India-Pakistan match scheduled here doesn't sell out.

For the record:
Sunday - February 15 - India vs Pakistan
Monday - March 9 - England vs Bangladesh (Day/Night)
Sunday - March 15 - Pakistan vs Ireland (Day/Night)
I believe the SANFL team train at Footy Park.

what do you mean out of Adelaide once a year?

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Re: COM: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#2 Post by Phantom » Tue May 13, 2014 3:29 pm

The Adelaide SANFL team, playing every game within 30km of the CBD, except their one "home" Showdown at Clare. It's not like they need to book 22 flights to Melbourne eight times a year, you know? Besides the Football Park -> Adelaide Oval change, it's their only other financially significant change that has been made in the last 12 months.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Tue May 13, 2014 4:05 pm

The clubs only made comments after that incompetent and corrupt buffoon Olsen went around running his mouth about how Adelaide Oval was delivering pots of gold to the clubs. He obviously made a "clerical error" because what he should have said is that with the move to Adelaide Oval and the but back of the licenses by the clubs, the SANFL is seeing pots of gold.

It won't be long be long before there are more issues about finances and stadium deals coming out.

Btw who does the catering at Adelaide Oval for AFL? Is it Whickers family company that did it at AAMI? There's no food cans at the Oval for AFL like there is for Cricket.

These people, Whicker Olsen Basheer are corrupt and incompetent. If it wasn't for the SA gov who paid off their debt and Port who has involuntarily bankrolled them since 1996, they'd have gone out of business years ago.

Try run a business the way they run the SANFL..a business in its own right..see how far you get before you're banned from running a business.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Kasey771 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Ill tell you now, soccer would kill to have some money invested in its facility at Hindmarsh!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

rev

#5 Post by rev » Tue May 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Kasey771 wrote:Ill tell you now, soccer would kill to have some money invested in its facility at Hindmarsh!
Got that right! I believe AEC is investing money in upgrading Hindmarsh anyway with the intention of hosting rugby and smaller outdoor concerts as well.
And soccer wouldn't be leaching off as much money as it can like the sanfl have been and are continuing to.

ChillyPhilly

#6 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 pm

I hate the SANFL (as an entity and an administrative organisation). Filty, terrible ethos. It's run by old male white dinosaurs who should have retired decades ago.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Brucetiki » Wed May 14, 2014 12:56 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:I hate the SANFL (as an entity and an administrative organisation). Filty, terrible ethos. It's run by old male white dinosaurs who should have retired decades ago.
So you hate grass roots football then?

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by kingy » Wed May 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:I hate the SANFL (as an entity and an administrative organisation). Filty, terrible ethos. It's run by old male white dinosaurs who should have retired decades ago.
The SANFL isn't the only form of grass roots football. ChillyPhilly also stated "as an entity and an administrative organisation".

rev

#9 Post by rev » Wed May 14, 2014 2:48 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
The SANFL couldn't be any further from grass roots footy if it tried.
If it gave a shit about grass roots footy....well, I'll leave it at that lest this turn into a football argument any further.

ghs

#10 Post by ghs » Sun May 25, 2014 4:31 pm

52,233 people at the match last night. Largest crowd ever for an AFL game in SA.

Can someone please tell me where were all those supporters back in 2011 / 2012 when
they were only able to getting 16,000 to there matches ?

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by david.c-s » Sun May 25, 2014 5:20 pm

ghs wrote:52,233 people at the match last night. Largest crowd ever for an AFL game in SA.

Can someone please tell me where were all those supporters back in 2011 / 2012 when
they were only able to getting 16,000 to there matches ?
Better Marketing, improved team, team being competitive and winning, new stadium, new atmosphere, not on "crows turf" (I'm a Crows Supporter and can identify this played a part even if minor), greater accessibility for fans, & somewhere to go before and after the games < just to name a few.

Redeveloping the oval is the best outcome ... We live in the far south of the City and you could here the roar from the stadium and the people in the streets. The city has a whole new vibe
Using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly

#12 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 25, 2014 7:47 pm

ghs wrote:52,233 people at the match last night. Largest crowd ever for an AFL game in SA.

Can someone please tell me where were all those supporters back in 2011 / 2012 when they were only able to getting 16,000 to there matches ?
I am a Port fan who's missed just one home game since R1 in 2011, and agree with this question. I am a co-founder of supporter group The Alberton Crowd (TAC), who are located next to the Cheer Squad behind the southern goals. We organised our own seating arrangements for our group members, and publicly invited people not in our core group to sit with us. As a result we knew the names of those around us, and have slowly come to know the faces. Last night at AO there was one such face we'd never seen before - a clear bandwagoner twat - who told a TAC member to sit down after he stood up to get a couple chants going. Security sided with our group member. Afterwards this bandwagoner resorted to directing personal insults at a different TAC member. The moral of this story is that bandwagoners are dreadful and quality can, in some particular cases though not all, be better than quantity. 'Where were you when we were shit?'
david.c-s wrote:Better Marketing, improved team, team being competitive and winning, new stadium, new atmosphere, not on "crows turf" (I'm a Crows Supporter and can identify this played a part even if minor), greater accessibility for fans, & somewhere to go before and after the games < just to name a few.

Redeveloping the oval is the best outcome ... We live in the far south of the City and you could here the roar from the stadium and the people in the streets. The city has a whole new vibe
This is pretty much it. Australian sporting 'fans' for the most part have a large bandwagoner mentality, and it applies to any code. While Port may have pulled in the region of 40,000 people or greater if last night's match v. Hawthorn was played at Waste Lakes, the above reasons highlight that extra 12,000 people.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by arki » Sun May 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Electric atmosphere last night. Its amazing how much of a positive change the move to AO has been. Every game now seems like an event and the atmosphere has been completely changed! Port Adelaide are redefining the world of football at the moment from the incredibly loud and oppressive cheers to the level of skill shown on field. Some of the chanting in the 3rd was very reminiscent of an EPL game. Just sensational...

@ChillyPhilly

As a long time PAFC fan I really cannot stand comments like yours Philly. I, like 20k other fans, did not purchase memberships in 2010,11 and 12 and by that look at what has resulted - a club that we are once again PROUD to support and a club that has proved itself to its tens of thousands of fans, members or not.

A few years back many supporters were ashamed at how the great Port Adelaide name had been run to the ground by poor management and a stale mentality. What true supporter would be happy to sit through their club being battered by ridiculous expansion teams like GWS? Change needed to happen and happen it did...

The fact is that in 2013 when change was promised the true fans showed their loyalty to the club and rose to the occasion. When Port Adelaide called for support, the fans answered by smashing the membership record.

You have to remember, we are not the Crows - we are not just a team of convenience that people support because we represent an entire state. We are a fully fledged football club with a passionate supporter base who actually CARE about football and how it is played. Many of our supporters have been supporting the club for generations and have known nothing else.

Sometimes its about tough love and sometimes its about voting with your feet. I know that the decision I made about not religiously attending games in 2012 helped lead us to where we are today and because of that I don't give two shits when people call us out as 'bandwagoners'.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 26, 2014 9:24 am

If you guys want to continue a religion or football team discussion (they both end in violence) feel free to take it to the pub.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed May 28, 2014 12:01 am

rev wrote:The Crows will now feel the pinch, they will feel the financial pain Port has felt since 1996. Crows had/have a rent free agreement at AAMI.
Rev, have you ever stated anything on this topic that even slightly resembles the truth? Adelaide Football Club had a sub-licence agreement with the SANFL which included rent. Additionally, Adelaide Football Club until this year were required to make annual contributions to SANFL to pay for construction of the Northern Grandstand built in 2001 (which, incidentally, Port Adelaide didn't). Then there's the significantly higher dividend payments made by AFC to the SANFL.

Adelaide Football Financial Report for evidence:
http://www.maynereport.com/images/2010/ ... G4CU00.pdf
rev wrote:Port was bled dry by the sanfl.
That is laughable. What about the $6M handout to Port from the SANFL? And then the $4.5M discount SANFL gave Port on the purchase of their licence?

The SANFL have given Port concession after concession after concession.

Port should be thankful. It is only the SANFL's financial generosity that has allowed them to survive and the AFL's equalisation policy that has allowed them to assemble a good team when their fanbase had mostly deserted them.