My mate Mike - is he in town?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

My mate Mike - is he in town?

#1 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:04 am

Just wondering if Media Mike is in town. Over the last few weekds, Foley seems to have become the govt's preferred media face. If Dear Leader Mike isn't away, perhaps there's been a decision to reduce the media exposure of the Premier, lest we get sick of him before it really matters - the next election campaign (which is a long way off, but what other reasons could there be for Rann's Castro-like non-appearance lately? Is he overseas, attending to one of the many pressing international matters which must require our premier's statesman-like presence, or am I wartching/listening to the wrong media?

Even Rann's man-at-the-Advertiser, Greg Kelton, has been quiet lately in favour of more balanced reporting from a new guy, Owen Cameron, who is yet to make clear his alliegance.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

Re: My mate Mike - is he in town?

#2 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:04 pm

I'd have thought you'd realised by now that he only fronts up to the media when he has some good news and trundles out the MP's to take the heat for anything controversial. Just watch him in parliament to see how he deflects any "tough" question to someone else.

E.g. "good news everyone! we're building "the marj" - a new hospital to replace the RAH" then leaves the other lackeys to deal with everyone's displeasure at the name, site, etc.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Its alot better then the alternative, a bunch of blundering amateurs aka the SA Liberal Party.
Im looking forward to many more years, of a state Labor government. 8)
Particularly this one.
Did you see Halmilton Smith on the ABC last week with Foley? Foley destroyed him. I almost felt sorry for the old sas paratrooper. *Almost. :mrgreen:

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by mooshie » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:07 am

stumpjumper wrote:"rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, lots of anti labour party rhetoric, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant, rant."
:roll:

Give it a rest mate, you have a lot of good insightful things to say on this forum, but hell you don't like the powers that be do you?

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by rogue » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:51 am

The sheer arrogance and nasty nature of the incumbent government will be their eventual downfall. Personally, I don’t favour the alternative, but something is seriously wrong when we (the constituents) are constantly being dictated to and when a member of the public (or media for that matter) disagree with a decision, Kevin Foley and Pat Conlon et al, go on the back foot and attack. Has it ever occurred to them that they are they representatives of the state and maybe, just maybe, there are some people within it that know better than them in their respective fields. It wouldn’t hurt to occasionally take advice and be more open to suggestion. Even if they don’t agree with it or intend to implement suggestions, at least it will show some form of transparency.

For example, instances of only facing media of their choice for scrutiny, are a breach democratic principals. They should be open and accountable to all demographics, not only their mates within media circles. Is there a fear that “quality” political journalists will ask tough questions that catch the government out?

The recent spates of “buck passing” are sure signs that they don’t intend to even show an interest in departmental bungles. Cases to highlight are Stuart McDonald and his HIV infecting romp (the Health Minister has distanced himself), the stolen police files (the Police Minister has distanced himself), the party at Port Lincoln Prison (the Correctional Services Minister has distanced herself). I’m not quite sure how these ministers can come through unscathed, but the present Opposition lets this happen without constant questioning and interrogation.

Both sides of politics need to raise the standards.
Last edited by rogue on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

urban
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by urban » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:15 am

Hear, hear

rev

#7 Post by rev » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:56 am

At some point people in this state need to quit their constant whining and moaning and blatant hypocrisy.

Government does something, people complain. Government doesnt do something, people complain.

If you think you have the answers, contest the next election or put a sock in it.

Im tired of listening to people and reading in the papers, all sorts of nonsense from how much should be spent on fixing the trains, to public health care to law and order.
Everyone seems to be an expert in this state.
:evil:

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by rogue » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:54 pm

So what's the alternative rev?

Don’t you think that its a good thing that people take an interest in the affairs of this fine state or would you prefer everyone to sit on the fence and say nothing?

I think it’s important the community voice their opinions. You don’t always have to agree with them though…..

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:40 am

Ah, freedom of speech. I love it.

I'd say we have an arrogant, secretive government and a weak opposition.

I agree with rogue and other posters jhere, in that it's better for all if citizens are engaged at least to some extent with politics than not at all. We get a higher quality government that way. I suppose it's another way of saying that we get the government we deserve.

Strangely, people seem generally more informed about federal politics than state, and about local politics most people know bugger all.

Ramble ramble ramble.... Monday coffee time.

rev

#10 Post by rev » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:54 pm

rogue wrote:So what's the alternative rev?

Don’t you think that its a good thing that people take an interest in the affairs of this fine state or would you prefer everyone to sit on the fence and say nothing?

I think it’s important the community voice their opinions. You don’t always have to agree with them though…..
Taking an interest in state affairs is totally different to whining about where the government spends money, it being a waste, and where it would be better spent, and giving specific amounts that need to be spent.

And lets face it, most people couldn't give two hoots about politics. They will vote for whoever pleases them the most. Take John Howard for example, each election he hands out billions of dollars to specific voter groups. Baby bonuses, billions of dollars for aged care, etc.

And I'll tell you, the alternative is not those disorganised, conservative out of touch fools, called the state opposition. Martin Hamilton Smith is not someone I'd like to see running this state.

Labor and Mike Rann may not have fixed everything in this state, but the best chance this state has of moving forward, is under a Labor government at present and for the foreseeable future.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:57 pm

This state would be doomed, if Martin Hamilton-Smith came premier.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Maybe we're all rooned as it is...

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:11 pm

My point was that Mike is invisible with respect to anything involving any voter aggro. He now speaks rarely, usually only on such voter-positive matters as 'tightening up the law on bikies'.

He's a survivor, who uses the media to stay afloat. Remember, Rann was there through the State Bank crisis, and over the years, he has refined his art to the point where he seldom speaks off the cuff, or even graces us with his body-guarded presence.

Rann hasn't said a word about current issues such as politician' pay, for example. New MP Chloe Fox's allegedly said to Caucus that her "career was over" following the govt's imposition of WorkCover and other costs on schools.

Rann, who was in the room at the time, told the press that 'She has not indicated to me any disatisfaction...'

That is vintage Rann double-speak: 'I was in the room, I heard her, but she wasn't actually looking at me when she said it...'

When Rann speaks, it's often necessarily to forensically de-construct his words to pick out the truth.

Suffice to say that Fox is now utterly gagged. She is not to make any statement to anyone on any topic. Try ringing her office if you need confirmation. Chloe must be wondering what happened to all the nice men she met and the sweet words she heard when she was offered pre-selection.

Nor has Rann spoken about the new hospital.

But he's there. Like a sort of less-than-threatening Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now - "He was real close. I couldn't see him yet, but I could feel him." Or maybe like the little old man directing the play in the Wizard of Oz.

I reckon Rann is in fact on the ball constantly - at the control levers, orchestrating his vast media machine, deciding (with his inner sanctum of Jill Bottrall and co and with the direction of his union controllers such as Don Farrell) just who speaks to what media and when, and just how much spin to put on here, or there.

I wonder if he realises how many of us, Labor or Liberal, are heartily sick of the endless media massaging.