[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#361 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:41 am

Norman wrote:
ml69 wrote:
crawf wrote:Announcement on the Northern Connector is imminent
A reminder..
Great news!

Does anyone know whether the northern connector plan allows for space provision for a future metro rail line to service the Dry Creek and Waterloo Corner areas if they get redeveloped into housing estates?
No, but there is currently a standard gauge freight line going through Salisbury North that could be utilised once the rail component of the Northern Connector frees up that line.
Hopefully for Buckland Park. Although (hopefully again) the former doesn't go ahead.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

The Scooter Guy

#362 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:57 pm

ml69 wrote:
crawf wrote:Announcement on the Northern Connector is imminent
PM flags support for SA road project
3 HOURS AGO AUGUST 14, 2015 8:26PM
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7484216177

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has flagged an imminent announcement on federal support for Adelaide's northern-connector road project.

THE 15-kilometre road will provide better access for freight through Adelaide's northern suburbs and is a key part of a north-south express corridor through the city.

Mr Abbott says the commonwealth regards the connector an important project and talks are continuing with the South Australian government.

"My understanding is just about everyone in South Australia wants it to crack on as quickly as possible," he said during a visit to Adelaide on Friday.

"I hope to have more to say about this in the near future."
A reminder..
Great news!

Does anyone know whether the northern connector plan allows for space provision for a future metro rail line to service the Dry Creek and Waterloo Corner areas if they get redeveloped into housing estates?
I wonder if there will be both standard gauge & broad gauge lines between Penfield & Cavan...
I'd like to be able to take a train to Waterloo Corner, then cycle all the way down to the St Kilda Adventure Playground and Tramway Museum.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#363 Post by Goodsy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
I wonder if there will be both standard gauge & broad gauge lines between Penfield & Cavan...
I'd like to be able to take a train to Waterloo Corner, then cycle all the way down to the St Kilda Adventure Playground and Tramway Museum.
A train station that services st kilda playground would be pretty great, not sure what kind of patronage they'd get though

[Shuz]

#364 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:15 pm

The freight rail line associated with this proposal is very bendy - you'd think they could straighten it out a bit more?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#365 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:25 pm

[Shuz] wrote:The freight rail line associated with this proposal is very bendy - you'd think they could straighten it out a bit more?
Is that really an issue? As long as the curves are of such a radius as to not restrict speed I doubt it would be an issue. I suspect that rolling stock speed restrictions would be a bigger issue than track geometry for overall train speed along this section.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Patrick_27

#366 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:27 am

Does the Northern Connector going ahead mean that freight can be removed from the Belair line? I recall that Unley councillors during their quest to reopen Millswood Station were also rallying the government to remove freight from that corridor so Belair could be duplicated for metro rail again. Apparently the removal of freight along this route would mean the freight would need to be diverted north of Adelaide... Could this be achieved through this project?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#367 Post by Goodsy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:39 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Does the Northern Connector going ahead mean that freight can be removed from the Belair line? I recall that Unley councillors during their quest to reopen Millswood Station were also rallying the government to remove freight from that corridor so Belair could be duplicated for metro rail again. Apparently the removal of freight along this route would mean the freight would need to be diverted north of Adelaide... Could this be achieved through this project?
if that goes ahead then I sincerely hope they have a plan with Cormack Road, the rail crossing at peak times is bad enough. Every morning it seems like there's 2 passenger trains and a freight train waiting for you. Sometimes churchill road is backed up to that yard where they keep all rail things, and in the afternoons it can get backed up right to South Road

PeFe

#368 Post by PeFe » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:43 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Does the Northern Connector going ahead mean that freight can be removed from the Belair line? I recall that Unley councillors during their quest to reopen Millswood Station were also rallying the government to remove freight from that corridor so Belair could be duplicated for metro rail again. Apparently the removal of freight along this route would mean the freight would need to be diverted north of Adelaide... Could this be achieved through this project?
No.....the Northern Connector has nothing to do with freight using the Adelaide hills as entry to the city from Melbourne.
Diverting the freight line to the north of Murray Bridge over the hills somewhere north of Gawler was costed at around 2 billion dollars. Buckleys in our life time.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#369 Post by drsmith » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:29 pm

IIRC, the NC road was to be built first with the freight rail at some later stage.

There was also talk of the NC road being a 2-stage build. It'll be interesting to see if that's still the case.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#370 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:24 pm

drsmith wrote:IIRC, the NC road was to be built first with the freight rail at some later stage.

There was also talk of the NC road being a 2-stage build. It'll be interesting to see if that's still the case.
If that was the case, then I guess Southern - Bolivar Interchange would be the first stage?

Hopefully it's all built in one go.

[Shuz]

#371 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:40 pm

NC will be a two stage project. PREXY to Bolivar is Stage 1.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#372 Post by Goodsy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:26 pm

[Shuz] wrote:NC will be a two stage project. PREXY to Bolivar is Stage 1.
Why would they do it that way if they need to let the earth settle under the salt pans? shouldn't it be from NExy to Bolivar first

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#373 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:04 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:NC will be a two stage project. PREXY to Bolivar is Stage 1.
Why would they do it that way if they need to let the earth settle under the salt pans? shouldn't it be from NExy to Bolivar first
Looking at the map posted above it appears that there isn't a Southbound exit at the Bolivar Interchange, hence they wouldn't be able to start at the Nexy and work South..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#374 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:24 am

IIRC current modelling showed that the freight rail line wasn't needed for the next 30-50 years.

SBD

#375 Post by SBD » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:41 am

Tonsley213 wrote:IIRC current modelling showed that the freight rail line wasn't needed for the next 30-50 years.
I guess that depends what "need" is being measured. If the "need" is to reduce the interstate freight at level crossings and through residential neighbourhoods between Dry Creek and Penfield, then it is needed now. Level crossings up to Salisbury would continue to have suburban trains though, so would not be completely eliminated.