[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Blimp
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#1126 Post by Blimp » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 am

I dont mind the lighting from what I've seen but I guess we'll see when they flick the switch on it.

Having said that, they're not giving me that sudden urge to run out and go shopping. Same goes for the entire mall redevelopment in general.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1127 Post by Pants » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Saw it up close and personal today as opposed to from a drive-by and I actually really like it.

The finish of the lights looks good and for lack of a better term, "expensive". There are only 4 poles that I could see - the two at either end of the Mall are likely to have some (hopefully interesting) feature about them aside from looking like condoms/marital aids and the other two don't extend too far beyond the height of the cables. The system's not all that intrusive and actually closes the Mall in just a bit, which gives it a more intimate, but at the same time, big city/tramline-type feel (if that makes any sense at all). This will be useful while the trees take their sweet time to grow and in winter when they're foliage-free.

Am looking forward to seeing them turned on. Hopefully they're not practically fluros as has been suggested, as I'll probably do another back-flip.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1128 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Pants wrote:...Am looking forward to seeing them turned on. Hopefully they're not practically fluros as has been suggested, as I'll probably do another back-flip.
I thought they were going to be new generation LEDs? Or am I barking?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1129 Post by Pants » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:58 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Pants wrote:...Am looking forward to seeing them turned on. Hopefully they're not practically fluros as has been suggested, as I'll probably do another back-flip.
They look like LEDs, but I remember reading somewhere that they'll emit pretty stark white light. We'll soon see. Hopefully.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1130 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Pants wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
They look like LEDs, but I remember reading somewhere that they'll emit pretty stark white light. We'll soon see. Hopefully.
New generation LEDs put out nice light in all spectra. So they may well be. :)

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1131 Post by Matt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:31 pm

*borrowed from @timdornin on Twitter

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1132 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:15 am

Had my first look at the lights today in person and despite my earlier comments, they're not nearly as bad as I thought; the poles are still the most offensive part of the whole concept but they'd look great otherwise. The cabling is not nearly as bad as the netting they've used in Bourke Street Mall in Melbourne.

What I noticed on the eastern end of the mall is that they've actually attached two steel frames atop of the podium at Citi Centre Arcade. I just can't understand why they couldn't have done this on the other ends of the mall too to avoid the Goddamn poles!

I've got some photos of frames that I will post in the morning.

realstretts
Gold-Member ;)

#1133 Post by realstretts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:49 am

I like em, have this old timey feel yet still kinda modern

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1134 Post by Ben » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am

I escaped an issue last night when walking down the mall which I hadn't previously thought of until it happened..... there were a bunch on pigeons on the wire and were dropping faeces below... hope this doesn't become an issue.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1135 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:59 am

Patrick_27 wrote:What I noticed on the eastern end of the mall is that they've actually attached two steel frames atop of the podium at Citi Centre Arcade. I just can't understand why they couldn't have done this on the other ends of the mall too to avoid the Goddamn poles!
Because the buildings' owners would not allow it.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1136 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:06 am

monotonehell wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:What I noticed on the eastern end of the mall is that they've actually attached two steel frames atop of the podium at Citi Centre Arcade. I just can't understand why they couldn't have done this on the other ends of the mall too to avoid the Goddamn poles!
Because the buildings' owners would not allow it.
It was a combination of building owners not allowing it, and some where the facades were not strong enough. I'll leave it to everyone to speculate which ones apply to each pole location. ;)

AdelaideGold
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1137 Post by AdelaideGold » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:55 am

Some good pics on this link
http://iconosquare.com/tag/rundlemall

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1138 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Wires look to be complete all the way down the mall, and lights up to David Jones.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1139 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Compared to last year, Rundle Mall will actually feel like Christmas this year. This will look amazing

How $500,000 is set to light up Adelaide’s Rundle Mall this Christmas
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7529842569
Tim WilliamsThe CityThe City

GIANT presents, a 9m tall tree and thousands of “icicle” lights strung between buildings — yes, it will actually look a lot like Christmas in Rundle Mall this year.

The City can reveal the major features of the Rundle Mall Management Authority’s $500,000 lighting and decoration plan for the festive season.

A pair of walk-through presents, one at either end of the mall and each several metres tall, will be adorned with huge multi-coloured bows and covered in lights.

Artist impressions of the giant Christmas tree. Picture: Chas Clarkson and Rundle Mall Management Authority.
A huge, stylised Christmas tree, featuring a metal spiral of colours from the mall authority’s logo and topped with a yellow star, will be the centrepiece decoration in the middle of the Gawler Place intersection.

And the 14 crossover points in the mall’s new catenary street light system will be used to hang folded, coloured stars amid thousands of fairy lights in strings representing icicles.

The mall authority is spending big after copping heavy criticism last year for the lack of festive decorations and the use of an Australian theme that many shoppers didn’t identify with Christmas.

An artist’s impressions of a giant, lit-up Christmas tree set to help celebrate the festive season in the city. Picture supplied by Chas Clarkson and Rundle Mall Management Authority
Chief executive Ian Darbyshire said this year’s decorations would use traditional Christmas symbols such as trees and stars, with the modern twist of incorporating the colours of the Unfold Rundle Mall branding.

“It’s about starting to show what the new mall can do,” he said.

“The lights and decorations will be up for the Christmas Pageant … which is what people have been saying we should do for years.”

Mr Darbyshire said the giant presents would be the focus of Christmas-related activities which have yet to be revealed. Details of other decorations and the mall’s Christmas retail campaign will be unveiled in the coming weeks.

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#1140 Post by stronic » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:12 pm

crawf wrote: Image
Someone please tell me why is it that every Christmas tree in an Australian city is always awfully tacky? Simplicity, people. It's always more.