[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1 Post by bmw boy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:53 pm

looking at the thread on Anne Moran and mayor.... with a post in particular by AtD got me thinking....

Once the tramline is completed, what are your thoughts on the future Victoria Square.

Anyone have any information as to what they plan to do there or ideas of what they should do?

Will it just be a newly grassed area replaceing where the trams currently terminate or will there be a makeover?

IMO surely they can't just leave it at grassing up the old area.

The Victoria square rejuvination debate will heat up again i think with the old ideas such as of blocking off the road and creating a tunnel underneath the existing East/West Road.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: What next for Victoria Square?

#2 Post by bmw boy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Here is the post I was reffering to.... thanks AtD :wink:
AtD wrote:Personally, I still haven't forgiven Harbo for playing politics with Victoria Sq. He used a bit of NIMBY-ism and a scare campaign in the last council elections, suggesting closing Victoria Square to east/west traffic and turning it into a traffic circle would kill the Central Markets.

We could have had this:

urban
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by urban » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:01 pm

Now that's a proper city square.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AG » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:02 pm

The only part of that plan that seems to have been achieved so far is moving the trams tracks to the side of Victoria Square rather than through it. Certainly leaves a lot of possiblities open for what to do with the middle of Victoria Square now.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Howie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Anyone remember the proposal with the underpass running through the centre? That would be a good compromise to closing it off completely.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:23 pm

urban, you may be interested in the news article that came with that render. I dug some up a while ago for another discussion. Interesting read.
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 5199#p5199

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:04 pm

I reckon some sort of observation tower right in the dead centre of the cbd what a perfect spot.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Pistol » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Alfred Huang was the mayor that promoted the tunnel under Vic Square linking Grote and Wakefield. This idea was squashed by... Michael Harbison who suggested that it would negatively affect business within that area.

To me the tunneling of this street is imperative for the square to become the spiritual 'heart' of Adelaide. But it would require a serious investment by the ACC and state government if it were to happen. there is going to be much more emphasis on Vic Square when the tram extension is complete. This along with the completion of SA Water, Minter Ellison (whatever it is called now), the whole of CC and Bentham apts etc will mean more foot traffic within the square.

Ideally Vic Square should be to Adelaide what Fed Square is to Melbourne - a cultural meeting place for a vibrant city.

End rant.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

urban
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by urban » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks AtD.

From memory Harbo got over the line on votes based on his promise to provide an additional floor of carparking above the markets. I'm sure he would have realised the existing structure would not take the additional weight.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:42 pm

Interesting to note in that article it mentions "Anne Moran is a vocal opponant". Obviously this would involve some sort of change from the norm.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by ReallyBad » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:54 pm

Even knowing I will probably be carstrated... What next for Victoria Square - remove the dual naming signs. It is and always will be Victoria Square not Tandanayana (or whatever it is)
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#12 Post by rhino » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Yes, I can't imagine that Victoria Square was ever a traditional meeting ground for the Kaurna/Ngarna people. Maybe Elder Park, or somewhere else along the Torrens, but I don't think Victoria Square.

And I believe it's spelt Tandanya.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#13 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:33 pm

If a tram extension were to go ahead down Grote Street it would make an East-West tunnel under the square a little awkward. Maybe the tram could run down the restaurant strip of Gouger Street instead.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

urban
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by urban » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:52 pm

Ho Really I would love to have the opportunity to design the tunnel entrance if the tram was running down the centre.
Imagine some elegant concrete columns rising up as the tunnel descends with cantilevered supports either side for the trams to run along. This could possibly be the iconic city entrance we need.

When you put infrastructure projects in the control of designers instead of engineers the challenges become opportunities.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:25 pm

urban wrote:When you put infrastructure projects in the control of designers instead of engineers the challenges become opportunities.
And budgets become works of fiction! :lol: