News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1501 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:55 pm

ADL is within the range to fly an A380 or Dreamliner to LAX non-stop, but its not economical to do so. We simply don't have the amount of people to fill an airliner, compared to lots of connections to SYD, MEL or BRI then onto the US.

The only international places that have a chance are Beijing, Tokyo, Taipei or Bangkok, but the airlines need incentive to do so.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

#1502 Post by crowdoc » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 pm

A Dreamliner has between 260-320 seats. If there was a direct service to LA avoiding stops in the eastern states they would be overwhelmed with demand from Adelaide, even if they started with a twice weekly service.. The problem is that these aircraft are not available in large numbers yet. Qantas (Air Sydney) does not care about Adelaide as they get the feed for the eastern ports and cannot run an international service from here, unlike Emirates, Malaysian, Sigapore, Air New Zealand andQatar. The best chance may be Virgin to try something new but they may not see it as a priority. Meanwhile the quickest way to LA is with Air New Zealand via Auckland and the Adelaide Auckland run is building.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1503 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Another thought that just occurred to me is perhaps Air India to New Delhi - then again its all demand based, rather than just to satisfy a few people who don't want to change planes.
Follow me on Flickr

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1504 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:22 pm

crowdoc wrote:...Qantas (Air Sydney) does not care about Adelaide as they get the feed for the eastern ports and cannot run an international service from here...
A direct service to North America would have to come from an US airline (American, Delta, Hawaiian or United) or Air Canada. The SA Government and Adelaide Airport are talking to someone. Who's the most likely? Take a guess.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1505 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:47 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:Another thought that just occurred to me is perhaps Air India to New Delhi - then again its all demand based, rather than just to satisfy a few people who don't want to change planes.
Adelaide is starting to get a sizable Indian population. Not as big as Melbourne or Sydney. Direct flights to India may be a few years away. At the moment most will do one hop with Singapore Airlines from Adelaide. Some with Malaysia Airlines and others will go to Melbourne. SIA also has a consistent quality product which Indians like. India's national carrier is not quite there yet in this regard.

What bugs me the most about Adelaide is that we are dragging our feet in regards to carriers to mainland China. Eastern state cities lately have all gained new flights from all the major Chinese carriers (including Xiamen Airlines). If we don't get something going soon we may miss the boat and end up the same as with the mining boom which bypassed us. It is frustrating! We want Chinese tourists to come here first not, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns or the Gold Coast! Adelaide and SA have a quality tourism product and it would be sad if we missed out. I hope we get an announcement this year, preferably in the the first half.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1506 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:40 pm

Adelaide to Honolulu? That sounds not to bad :D :D :D

The first problem for tourists once they get here is getting to the city!! There is only one very infrequent bus and taxis.
Follow me on Flickr

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1507 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:03 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:Adelaide to Honolulu? That sounds not to bad :D :D :D

The first problem for tourists once they get here is getting to the city!! There is only one very infrequent bus and taxis.
Infrequent bus? Every 15 minutes 7 days a week sounds pretty frequent to me! In Perth they only run every 30 minutes and it takes more than an hour! And in Melbourne they only run every 10 minutes, so we are doing pretty good!

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1508 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:15 pm

I thought it was less frequent than that :roll:
Follow me on Flickr

arki
High Rise Poster!

#1509 Post by arki » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:18 pm

And who would catch a bus to the city over a taxi anyway? No offence but if a tourist is not willing to pay an extra 10 dollars to get into a taxi to their city hotel then it probably isn't worth them coming here.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1510 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:20 pm

arki wrote:And who would catch a bus to the city over a taxi anyway? No offence but if a tourist is not willing to pay an extra 10 dollars to get into a taxi to their city hotel then it probably isn't worth them coming here.
I back packed for 6 months and saving $10 really matters. Public transport is important for many...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1511 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:09 pm

arki wrote:And who would catch a bus to the city over a taxi anyway? No offence but if a tourist is not willing to pay an extra 10 dollars to get into a taxi to their city hotel then it probably isn't worth them coming here.
The average cab fare to the city is $25. A single trip costs between $1 and $5.

As someone who travels multiple times per year, I have saved hundreds by catching the bus, because it's not only beneficial for visitors but also for locals.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1512 Post by Splashmo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:27 pm

What do you think our chances are of getting direct flights to Thailand anytime soon?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1513 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 pm

it will be interesting if we get any direct Iran flights now that they have their sanctions lifted

Simmos083
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1514 Post by Simmos083 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:34 am

What about China southern? There was talk about them ages ago but nothing seems to be happening? Sure the Chinese market is the one we need to crack

Julious91
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1515 Post by Julious91 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:01 pm

Qatar Airways is opening its own Premium Lounge on 13 February. Except it won't be at the airport, it will be about 6-7km northwest of the Adelaide airport terminal located at the heart of the fringe, inside the Fringe Club. What an interesting marketing tactic for the airline commencing services in May. Hope this generates some more market share for them

https://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/host-a-function