Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Invigorating CBD Alleyways & Lanes

#106 Post by Omicron » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 pm

AtD wrote:I would expect the laneway would have a fairly constant flow of service traffic, because there's loading docks for some very large buildings there. There wouldn't be anything else suitable within reasonable distance. The type of loading docks in the lane accept entire shipping containers as well as pallets, which need access directly to the building. You wouldn't be able to ask Toys-R-Us to accept deliveries from Grenfell Street and wheel them in, for example. Big-box retailing doesn't work like that.

In the pie-in-the-sky world, the ACC (or someone) could construct an underground common loading dock that is available for use of all local tenants. :mrgreen:
Oh, goodness, of course - Toys 'R Us! I completely forgot. Here I was thinking of little squiggly businesses poking out of the shady walls when there's a multinational corporation heaving trucks through a giant roller door. Never write on an empty stomach, I tells you.

I propose we force Toys 'R Us to move out so as to reclaim the lane for our purposes.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#107 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:37 am

Omicron wrote:I propose we force Toys 'R Us to move out so as to reclaim the lane for our purposes.
Lanes 'R Us?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#108 Post by Will » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:47 am

In Melbourne some of their laneways are closed to traffic between 10:00AM to 10:00PM. I can't see why the same could not happen in Twin Street. Toys-r-Us could easily organise themselves so as to receive their delivieries during the 12 hour period when the lane would be open to traffic.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#109 Post by AtD » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:13 pm

Will wrote:In Melbourne some of their laneways are closed to traffic between 10:00AM to 10:00PM. I can't see why the same could not happen in Twin Street. Toys-r-Us could easily organise themselves so as to receive their delivieries during the 12 hour period when the lane would be open to traffic.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. The retailers would argue that they would have to:
- Find more night store staff
- Keep those staff back late at night, staff that they otherwise would not have kept on.
- Pay those staff penalty rates.
- Repeat the exercise for their warehouse
- Repeat the exercise for the truckies or any transport contractors.

It'd add up to a significant cost. It probably won't be a huge cost for an organisation like Toys 'R' Us, but the smaller retails may find it too high to bare. Either way, the retailers may demand lower rents. A very high turnover business like a supermarket may struggle to adhere to the curfew.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#110 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:06 pm

oooh, oooh. This weeks messenger has a story on Arcade Lane, which will be transformed into a outdoor performance space and bar for the fringe. Arcade Lane is next to Adl arcade, which once used to go all the way to Rundle Mall before the Rip Curl shop was built at the mall.

Im excited. Does anyone know how to post the article in here

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#111 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Voila!

From the City Messenger:
Pub to pop up for Adelaide Fringe

A sleepy city laneway is about to become the scene of burlesque dancing, live cabaret, quirky theatre shows and Adelaide’s newest “pop-up” pub.
lane.jpg
lane.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 10929 times
Arcade Lane, between Rundle Mall and Grenfell St, will host more than 150 performances during its debut at the 2010 Adelaide Fringe Festival in March.

The old Regent Theatre will reopen for the first time in six years to stage most of the shows, and a temporary “pop-up” bar will serve up bevvies and food for Fringe-goers.

Event organiser, designer and ex-publican Ross Stanley said the two remaining Regent cinemas - earmarked for future development and unused since 2004 - would be transformed into theatre hubs, each hosting up to five shows a night.

“It’s great to be able to use the space again - I saw Star Wars in that cinema,” Mr Stanley, 39, said.

He said the idea was to turn Arcade Lane into a “drinking and eating hole-meets performance space-meets burlesque house” during the Fringe.

“I’ve been to the (St Jerome’s) Laneway Festival numerous times and I’m aware of the market open to using urban spaces for things other than what they were designed for.

“It’s a great way to create a street vibe.”

Arcade Lane is open during the 50th annual Fringe Festival, from February 18 to March 14, 5pm till late. A launch party will be held on February 18 in the lane.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#112 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:46 pm

ah, thankyou Wayno :cheers:

Will be very interested to see how they do it. Hopefully it may lead to something more permanent

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#113 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Sounds very interesting.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#114 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:28 am

The pedestrianising of Chesser/French/Coromandel will probably warrant it's own CBD Development thread soon, but just plonking this article here for the moment:

Here's the view down Chesser St towards Chesser Cellars

From The Independent Weekly
A new Adelaide
A rumour was doing the rounds a while back that Primo Caon was selling up, looking for someone to buy his landmark city restaurant Chesser Cellar so he could finally retire.

At 75, and after being a fixture in SA’s restaurant business for more than 40 years, even he thought it was time.

“I just put the feelers out to see what I would get for it,” he said this week.

Then he quickly changed his mind, because at the end of August, the Adelaide City Council decided to “pedestrianise” Chesser Street – between Grenfell and Pirie streets – along with French Street and Coromandel Place, which link together to form an H.

Work to exclude vehicle traffic from the precinct, notable for its 19th-century architecture, is due to start next July 1.

“(It) should have happened 20 years ago,” said Mr Caon, who is already making seating plans for guests to wine and dine under the Chesser Street vine pergola on warm summer afternoons and nights.

“That gives a lovely European feel that this area can really do with. That’s pretty exciting sort of stuff, it really is. So I’m sticking around.”

Mr Caon sees a comparison with the Melbourne CBD laneways, a narrow network of cafes, bars, restaurants, galleries and boutiques. “The more places there are around here, the better it is because it will be like Gouger Street.”

He and his restaurateur brother Cun – Primo and Secundo, first and second brothers – have often been the trendsetters in the Adelaide restaurant business. In 1971 they launched Charlie Browns, on Port Road at Hindmarsh, with the idea of offering fast food and a cheap glass of wine for the first time in Adelaide.

“On the opening night, not invited, Len Evans came in ... and it was great to have him there because he was the leader of the wine scene in Australia,” Mr Caon said.

“He stayed all night. Then we came back next morning to tidy things up a bit – it was a very late night, of course – and on the ceiling was, ‘Len Evans has been here’.”

Mr Caon bought Chesser Cellar in 1990. It quickly established itself as a clubby gathering place for business and government figures. And wine men – the likes of Len Evans, Max Schubert, James Halliday, Peter Fox, George Fairbrother and many others whom Mr Caon regards as good mates. “A quarter of them are dead.”

Mr Caon looks after himself better these days, well groomed, and always suave. “One or two glasses of red at the most a day, and it does help your blood pressure.”

As for his 75 years, he fended off a jibe he’d be carried out of Chesser Cellars in a pine box: “Let me tell you that Beppi Polese from Sydney, who’s 86, he’s still in the business and it’s a great credit to him ... You’ve got to be happy in what you’re doing.”

He has not closed off the possibility of one day selling up – with conditions attached.

“But with this situation occurring, let’s see where we go from there. I can see Adelaide come alive in Chesser Street under the vines.”

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by monotonehell » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 pm

This is probably all interesting news and such, but for the moment I can't get past the fact that their parents named them Primo and Secundo (first and second). :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#116 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:32 pm

monotonehell wrote:This is probably all interesting news and such, but for the moment I can't get past the fact that their parents named them Primo and Secundo (first and second). :lol:
lol - i missed that! Just like the mexican fire fighters children - Hose A & Hose B

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#117 Post by Omicron » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Fantastic! More of this, please.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#118 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Brilliant!, this will go well together with the plan for Grenfell Street.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#119 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 am

Plonking this thought bubble here. Good a place as any.

I'm thinking of lobbying the ACC to do a city-wide inventory of blank/ugly walls as candidates for street-art (murals/graffiti). The ACC could designate genres per wall (garden, funky, stencil, wild, blockbuster, etc). Get builder owner buy-in, and modestly pay local artists to complete the work. Could even run as a competition - unsure of mechanics.

Here's examples of walls near myself that are butt ugly.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.933 ... 312!8i6656

Would be great if you could help - provide a bunch more google map references. I'll collect/collate.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#120 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Wayno wrote:...Get builder owner buy-in...
This is usually the stumbling block.

I think there's already an initiative exactly like this in action. Although they tend to focus on the non-residential areas of Adelaide (what ever they are, people live all through the CBD). Although my brain and a quick google has failed to find any leads for you.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.